Buh-Bye Bi-Folds: Removing Them For An Open Look

Our new place sure has its share of bi-fold doors. Like this pair sectioning off the future dining room and the main hallway (see a floor plan here to get your bearings):

And this nearby set that closes off the hallway that leads to most of the bedrooms (we removed one door to get the daybed through on moving day):

Then in our bedroom we’ve got another big set closing off the bathroom sink area…

…and a single bi-fold door right next to it closing off the walk-in closet.

That doesn’t even include all of the bi-folds that close off the other three bedroom closets. So basically… yeah, there’s a lot of ‘em. And unfortunately most of them go against the whole open / airy vibe that we’re going for, so most of ‘em had to go. Sorry bi-folds. But we’re already loving how the hallway looks so much more open sans doors.

And getting rid of the straggler leading to the back bedrooms certainly helped too (we still have to go back and putty / paint where the doors were attached).

Our master bedroom is even looking airier thanks to the door departure.

And although we’re going to leave them on all of the other bedroom closets for now, we did take the bi-fold door off of our own closet (we were constantly bumping into it). We’re thinking we might replace it with a thick floor length curtain at some point.

Another bi-fold that didn’t get the axe was one between the kitchen and the laundry / mudroom.

We don’t have a particular fondness for the look of this door, so right now its saving grace is purely functional. Without it there’s a straight shot from our carport right into the kitchen. See, here I am leering through the door to demonstrate.

We’ve learned that surprisingly enough, the side door that leads out to the carport is the one all of the neighbors use when they stop by (in the words of the previous owners: “if someone comes to the front door, they’re probably selling something”). And since my wife can and will nurse pretty much anywhere – even at the kitchen table – it’s probably not a good idea to leave that window unobscured.

So we’re going to leave that bi-fold up for now, but as soon as we can find a moment to frost that glass (so the light still pours in but the view is muddled) that bi-fold will be getting the same farewell treatment that the rest of them got. Stand by for that unbelievably exciting undertaking (I’m kidding, but hey- not every project is mind blowing). Oh and we’re donating all of the bi-fold doors to the Habitat For Humanity ReStore so they get to live on in someone else’s house, as opposed to junking up a landfill. Have you guys been to a ReStore yet? They’re full of awesome old windows, doors, sinks, faucets, light fixtures, and even rainbow colored toilets. Believe me when I say that there’s something for everyone.

Psst- This week’s BabyCenter post is all about trying to get Clara to adjust well to the new house (so we didn’t have an angry/grumpy/confused/scared bean on our hands). Here’s what worked for us.

Comments

Thanks for the link to the ReStore site, I didn’t realize that the next town over had one (though you would think our city of just less than 200,000 would, sigh – we don’t even have a bookstore though, but I digress….) I think I will be hopping over there at some point with the 3 kiddos to see what fun stuff we can find.

2. Kate says

LOVE to see ReStore props! I just scored an 1850s windsor chair for $10 yesterday, and we are planning on donating a washer & dryer soon. They are a great way to pump $$ back into the beautification of your town.

much better. Bifolds are a nightmare with curious toddlers (think pinched fingers), so good riddance!

glad that Clara is adjusting well to the new place…hope Burger is doing the same!

4. Katie C says

I agree that it feels so much more open without all the bi-folds. I’m finding myself carefully inspecting all your photos to try to guess what you’ll be posting about next. :)
    I see you’ve already ripped out the countertop/backsplash around the master sink…Can’t wait to find out why!

5. Elizabeth says

The bi-fold doors on the closets in my master bedroom are the bane of my existence. The builder of this house was either stupid or had a mean sense of humor.

Go ahead builder and make two openings to one long closet, but make sure neither opening is really large enough to ever effectively see what is in said long closet and oh yeah, put one of the openings BEHIND the bedroom door to make it even more of a pain! ARRGGGGHHHH!

I am so tempted to demo the silly wall between the two doors and just make one huge closet opening with a nice curtain maybe, but I always feel like that will look temporary. Sigh. I just want an entire room sized walk in closet where I never have to close doors…only drawers.

6. kelly says

that is a lot of bifolds!! we have them but we rent so cannot take them out and i hate them! they collect dust like you can’t believe and it is hard to get all those little slats. i would tell my kids i’ll give you 50 bucks to do all the doors, no takers!!
    you guys have your work cut out for you, i can’t wait to see all your new ideas!
    try and enjoy clara’s first christmas among all the chaos!

7. Laura says

ahh my new apartment also came with a ridiculously unnecessary number of bifold doors. alas, i’m renting, so i can’t do much about it!

SO glad you got rid of those doors! I hate them, too. Fortunately, I don’t have any in my house. Isn’t it amazing how small cosmetic changes like that can make such a huge difference? :-)

You mentioned hanging a curtain in your closet doorway. Any ideas for the one between the master bedroom and bathroom?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the wide planks in your bedroom!! I think my heart just skipped a beat looking at the picture into your bathroom! LOVE IT! I’m excited you are already getting into the renovations….even if its only little tweaks like taking of all those doors! can’t wait to see everything else you do!

10. Theresa says

For that door instead of frosting, you might want to consider a film. I’ve done frosting and film and the film is fantastic. Take a peek at http://www.decorativefilm.com
    I get compliments on my sliders and kitchen doors thanks to their products. Easy peasy. Bye bye boxes.

I’m trying really hard to be patient… but I seriously can not wait to see what you do with the kitchen! The potential that space has is beyond words!! So excited…