Weekly Baby Pictures: How We Take Them & Photoshop The Number On The Onesie

Many of you have asked questions here, on Flickr, and on Facebook about how the weekly photos that we’re taking to document Clara’s first year are really done. After answering a bunch of you individually, we figured the topic deserved a quickie “how to” post to collectively take care of anyone else out there who’s been pondering how we end up with images like this. You know we love a step by step tutorial. And documenting photos of your family can definitely fall under DIY art and decor – especially if they’re framed or even collected in a big coffee table book (which we eventually plan to do).

We’re not professional photographers, expert photoshoppers, or even seasoned baby wranglers… but after twelve weeks of taking shots of Clara on a fabric background and adding her age to her onesie “in post” we’ve developed a system that seems to work pretty well. So we made a video to share some of our basic pointers about the process. You can watch it below on Vimeo or click here to see it on YouTube.

Okay, admittedly the video is mostly gratuitous footage of our daughter with a few pointers tossed in, so if you can’t watch it because you’re at work (or you’re just opposed to seeing us move and talk) here’s a quick summary of what you missed:

• Clara wears a plain white onesie (so far the same one, although she’s about to outgrow it) and we use Photoshop to add the text later
  • We’ve only need one yard of fabric for each shot at this point, which helps keep the cost of the project down
  • We usually snag our fabric at discount stores like Hancock or JoAnn Fabrics and use 40% off coupons to further save money
  • We’ve also used already-owned fabric (and on-hand blankets & pillow cases) as backgrounds that are 100% free
  • We shoot them in the evening (around 5:30-6:30ish) because the light is indirect, which means no harsh shadows and no squinty baby
  • We take the photos in our sunroom because it gets the most natural light (you might get a similar look by setting your baby on a blanket outside in the early evening).
  • We use a Nikon D3000 (which we’re learning to use thanks to a lot of your advice). Note: the video was shot with a Flip Mino which isn’t as high quality, which is why the footage is darker/grainier than the still photos (which we didn’t retouch except for the final one- they come out that clear and bright thanks to the camera and the light filled location).
  • To keep photos looking consistent from week-to-week we always white balance the camera against Clara’s onesie before we begin (most DLSR cameras have a setting for this)
  • We usually take between 75-100 shots to get one final frame we both love (yeah, we’re a little obsessed with the beanette)

Now that we’re all caught up, I thought I’d breeze through what happens after we’ve snapped away at our tiny model and it’s time to finalizing our weekly image. First up is the sometimes long, often difficult process of selecting on our single favorite image. We use Apple’s iPhoto to sort through all of them, deleting the bad ones and flagging the good ones until we’ve narrowed it down to the one that not only represents Clara best at that age, but also isn’t too similar to past weeks’ photos (since we like them to feel as diverse as possible when it comes to composition).

Once selected, we pull the winning image into Photoshop. Again, we’re not experts, but we’ve honed a pretty good process for achieving the fairly convincing look of text printed on a onesie. First we do some basic touch-ups like cropping the photo or lightening it up a smidge if necessary, and occasionally we do a bit of virtually smoothing out if the fabric has any crazy wrinkles that the iron didn’t seem to take care of (with the Healing Brush and the Clone Stamper). As a comparison of sorts, here’s the original picture on top as it looked straight from the camera, and the slightly lightened and de-wrinkled version below it:

Then we add the text. At this point we usually just copy the text layer from the previous week’s file, but in case you’re starting from scratch we use a font call Fyra for the circled number and Otari for the word “weeks.” Both are free from the site FontSquirrel. Once dragged in we make sure the week is correct (in this case, we changed the week number to “12”) and we rotate the whole thing to line up with the angle of Clara’s body.

Then we select the color for the text. Usually we snag some color from the fabric itself (using the Color Picker tool) so the whole image coordinates, but sometimes we pick something complimentary to the fabric, like week one’s plum-magenta text that we liked against the green background.

The trick we came up with for making the text appear to be printed on the onesie is a combination of layer style and opacity. We set the text layer to “Multiply” and bring down the layer opacity to somewhere between 60% – 80% depending on how saturated the color is. Note: sometimes we have to adjust the color slightly after these steps to make sure it hasn’t gotten too light or washed out.

Here’s what the image looks likes before and after the “Multiply” and “Opacity” steps. You can see how it has subtly picked up the shading of the onesie behind it which tricks our eyes enough into thinking that it’s been there all along. Oh, and sometimes Miss Clara’s outfit is a bit wrinkled so I have to do some text chopping and skewing, but I haven’t gotten that process down enough that I’d feel comfortable advising others. Just trust me that it’s easier when her onesie is smooth (which is definitely the case lately since she’s outgrowing it)!

With that, we’re done!

Now that we’re nearly 1/4 of the way done with this year-long project we’re getting even more excited to amass all 52 images so we can get them printed in a nicely bound book for our coffee table (and the coffee tables of a few adoring grandparents). Plus we definitely think Clara herself will get a kick out of looking back at her weekly growth (and range of adorable expressions) when she gets a little older. Note: You can see bigger versions of the current dozen here on Flickr (we add the latest one every week there too).

Oh, and as for all of this fabric that we’re slowly collecting, the jury is still out on what we’ll do with it (make a quilt, sew some baby clothes, etc). Though our latest idea is that we’ll whip up an eclectic-looking banner or bunting that we can break out for birthday parties and even yearly growth pictures of Clara (sort of as an homage to her first year on Earth). At least until she gets too old and embarrassed to indulge us.

We hope this little picture play-by-play was helpful to anyone looking to adopt a similar method of documenting their child (or pooch, we could totally get behind that!). We’d also love to hear about any fun ways you guys have captured changes in your kids, family, or even your home – or if you’ve spotted someone else doing it in an interesting way (like the adorable Mila’s Daydreams project that we love). Spill those sentimental beans.

PS: If you’re looking to achieve a similar look but don’t want to bother with Photoshop, we learned of a company called Sticky Bellies that sells removable monthly milestone stickers that can be applied to any clothing.

Comments

1. Kimberly M says

LOVE this idea ( as always you are BRILLIANT). Thanks for sharing! I have my wheels spinning right now for ways I can recreate some fun things for my own kids :) LOVE your blog! Have you ever considered doing a TV show? PLEASE do one, Id tune in forsure!!!!

Hey Kimberly,

So far we’ve actually declined a few proposals for a TV show because we’re just two (well four counting the “kids”) homebodies and while we love sharing our projects via the blog, we’re not exactly driven to see our faces on TV- eeeks! Plus it would take weeks away from the blog, so we definitely couldn’t keep up with our projects or our posting schedule- so for now any TV gigs are on the backburner. Hope that explains our rationale though!

It’s so fun to see you guys interact with Clara! It warms the heart!! :) She’s absolutely ADORABLE! Thanks for the comment on my blog yesterday- it’s such an honor to know you make time in your busy schedule to drop by!

3. Mary says

Love the TV show idea, and also – love a BOOK idea!!! I’d be the first in line at the signing, Barnes & Noble here we come to see the Youngsters and their new book!!!

Hey Mary,

The book idea definitely sounds more our speed. If only we could clone ourselves so we’d have time to take on enough projects to fill a book (and write that book as well) all while keeping up with our two-post-a-day blog habit, coordinating giveaways, and raising Baby P. Cloning is just around the corner right???

4. Elaine says

I took monthly pictures of both of my girls and for the second one, made a little sign out of carstock and scrapbooking paper with the month number on it and took her picture on the same rocking chair in her nursery. It’s neat to see how much she grew each month because she’s sitting in the same chair. This Saturday is her first birthday and I used the monthly pictures to make a birthday photo banner like the ones you see on etsy, using more scrapbooking paper and some ribbon. I love your idea, especially since it will be come a beautiful book documenting her first year. Do you make digital photobooks at all? I’ve ordered from Shutterfly, My Publisher as well as directly from Apple. I think that My Publisher’s photo quality is the best of the albums I’ve done. Do you guys have experience with any others or have a recommendation for photobook sources?

Hey Elaine,

Yup, we’re planning to make a digital photbook through Shutterfly or one of those other companies. Not sure which one we’ll go with yet though!

5. Beylah says

Love this, thanks for sharing! I really like the idea of making bunting from the fabric, or you could use little bits of it to make fabric covered clothespins (like you just did, but with fabric and mod podge) or fabric covered thumb tacks to clip/pin them up on the wall, clothesline or bulletin board. Or you could even make little bows or hair clips out of them when she sprouts a few more on her head! OR, since the fabric tends to be a larger print you could always use it to make fabric covered baby albums! :)

6. Liz says

What an amazing way to document Clara’s growth in a super visible, objective, and quantifiable way (although your love and excitement of and for her can never be quantified…priceless!). You guys have a great knack for making things fun yet memorable. You will have these photos for forever! I can’t wait to do this for our future babies someday…and to learn how to use photoshop! I was almost thinking flip-book….. :) But I suppose she would have to be in the same exact position to have that happen.

7. Nell says

Such a great idea and tutorial video!

I love the idea of using the leftover fabric to make a quilt or party bunting, but I thought I would offer some more ideas:

tablecloths – can be used at parties or double as beach/pincic blankets

placemats – can also be used at parties, and the simple construction will make it easy to recycle them into something else down the road

hair accessories – bows, headbands, wrapped barrettes, etc… she is a little girl after all!

monogramming/letters – i cut out letters from fabric and sew them onto towels for a monogrammed look. you two could take this one step further. i am sure you could come up with a saying or quote that is made up of 52 letters, cut the letters from the fabric, and glue them onto a white matted board to create a really special wall hanging.

8. Fernanda says

Thank you so much for this post!!! I am one of the followers that asks questions about the weeks photos all the time!!! I loved this idea, and I am planning on doing this when I have a baby too! Thanks so much for the post!!

Uhhhg, I’m already having baby lust issues, and you all are just making it worse! When we finally do decide it’s time to start a family, I’ll be shamelessly copying this. It’s such an awesome idea.

10. Kevin M says

This is one of the coolest ideas I’ve ever seen. I wish I could go back in time and do this for our 6-week old.

Really awesome post guys. I am a photographer and I honestly didn’t even realize the onesie had been photo-shopped! It looks great. Also, I see a lot of babies.. and Clara is definitely in the 99th percentile of cuteness. ;)

Hi guys. So what do you plan on doing with all 52 yards of various fabric? It might be a nice reminder, as well as keepsake to make a quilt out of all the fabrics for Clara.