Our Quickie Glass Cabinet Update

As many of you know, I recently snagged some cheap-o drinking glasses that rock my world, which spurred on a full fledged glass-fronted cabinet makeover here at Casa Petersik.

Here’s what our glass fronted corner cabinet looked like before the big spring switcheroo.

We love that it was full of plates, glasses and bowls that we use all the time (we’re all about enjoying out servingware on a regular basis so nothing feels too precious or underused) so of course when I picked up those new glasses I made a promise to John that they wouldn’t be tucked away for “special occasions” and that we’d use them on the regular. And what better way to remember to use something all the time than to have it easily in view behind the one glass cabinet door in your kitchen, right? So here’s what the cabinet looks like these days:

Isn’t it nice and fresh and light for spring? We love that you can much more easily see that the back of the cabinet is painted the same blue tone as the walls (the colored glassware really brings that out). And we also love that our new drinking glasses inspired a whole new palette that still accommodates our white dishes but allows us to showcase a few more colorful glass objects that make the entire kitchen feel a bit more vibrant and cheerful.

On the top shelf you’ll see our tall Ikea glasses (picked up a while back on a dime) which used to hide in the cabinet to the left of this one. We love that they’re out on display and that their soft celery green and yellow designs work so well with our new green and blue World Market glasses. These guys are our oj and smoothie glasses (we actually use them quite often, and surprisingly in nearly half a year we haven’t broken one yet).

And instead of displaying our initial mugs among our stemless wine glasses, we moved them to another room (stay tuned for those details) since they can function in oh so many ways (as pen cups or q-tip and cotton ball holders for example). And in their place we plopped some cheap blue Ikea vases (also purchased a while back on the cheap) just to hammer home our cheerful new light and airy palette.

On the bottom shelf you can see that we added a few objects that we already had (a green glass votive holder, two mini Pellegrino bottles sans label, and a cheap-o blue glass Ikea bowl)- again just to tie into our new lighter spring color scheme. And the basic white bowls that used to flank those plates are now just stored in the cabinet to the left (along with the clear drinking glasses and wine glasses that we offset with our new arrangement). Thankfully by bringing over those fun skinny glasses on the top shelf we freed up enough room for those other items in the nearby cabinet so nothing is left without a designated “spot.” So that’s how our kitchen got a bit of a pick-me-up for the mere price of our six new drinking glasses from World Market.

Sometimes I get too busy to switch things out like this, but whenever I take the time to play around with the items that we already have I’m always amazed by how fresh and fun it can be. There’s nothing like a work-with-what-you-have makeover. We’d love to hear what you guys are swapping out now that warmer weather and sunnier skies are upon us. Any spring makeovers going on in your house? Any new dishware and glassware coming out from hiding (or being introduced on the cheap thanks to stores like TJ Maxx, Target, World Market, and Home Goods)? Do any of you have a glass fronted cabinet (or some open shelving) in your kitchen that’s begging for a little presto-change-o? Let’s chat.

Comments

Wow, looks great! And it goes right along with your “sea glass” theme, which I love. Your kitchen looks like a little jewel box.

Unfortunately, we decided not to spring for the glass-front doors in our kitchen reno (though we have a bar cabinet that would have been perfect for them). I’m still contemplating switching them out myself, but I’m afraid to mess with my (expensive) custom cabinets!

Anyway, it looks great. Can we see it with the door closed? Oh, and I hope you kept those wine glasses in easy reach – at least for after baby P arrives. ;)

Hey Kate,

We just were getting such an obnoxious glare with the door shut that leaving it open was the key to getting the shot. Our kitchen has a ton of natural light and a bunch of overhead lights so it was hard to avoid from any angle. Hope it helps!

2. Melissa Bowie says

Love the new glasses! I also love the paint color in your kitchen! What color is it?

Hey Melissa,

It’s Glidden’s Gentle Tide (which has since been discontinued, but they should be able to look up the formula on the computer). Quiet Moments by Benjamin Moore is super similar as well.

Gosh that looks refreshing and bright!

Now every meal and drink you guys have will automatically feel more summery!

I like to mix up my kitchen cabinets every once in a while (kinda like a rotation) because unfortunately we always just use what is right in front of our eyes, right?

4. Jennifer says

Not really a makeover, but I’ve added basil plants to my kitchen windowsill and strive to keep plenty of colorful fresh fruit on the fruit bowl on the counter. Looks and smells yummy.

5. Marie says

Just yesterday I was playing wall decor remix at my house. I’ve been trying to figure out what to hang in our updated breakfast nook. I wanted something big with lots of color. After searching the internet for hours, I found the perfect piece … a bright floral still life hanging in my upstairs hallway! It had ended up there because I liked it but didn’t know where else to put it. And I plan to use your tips for painting the frame white this week.

6. Carmen says

I love the new glasses. It reminds me of some antique fancy soda glasses my grandmother used to have. Quick question…with soooo many designs out there for nurseries, kitchens, bedroom etc. …how do you choose/decide on which one you go for and do in your own home?
    I absolutely love your website and keep up the great work. All the best for the future and good luck with the delivery.

Hey Carmen,

Good question! After a few years of experimenting with paint colors, ripping inspiration images out of magazines, and watching hours of home decorating programs, we have finally cracked the code when it comes to what we like. We’ve realized that there are some things that we consistently love (like ottomans, woven/natural textures, capiz, blue & green, dark furnishings, pops of white, etc). And we come back to those things time and time again. The good news is that it makes decorating pretty easy because we have honed in on what tickles our fancy and our whole house feels like it’s cohesive because we inject a few of those things that we love in every room. So our best advice would be to tear out inspiration images and experiment with different colors, patterns and materials until you get a sense of what feels the most like “you.” That way you can more easily choose which direction you want to take each room. Hope it helps!

Love those blue vases! We have two glass-front cabinets, but alas they need to be used for our most practical dishes and glasses due to space issues. But all our dishes are white so it doesn’t look too bad.

I’m hosting a giveaway today – stop by to check it out!

8. Amber says

I recognize those blue vases! Just picked up one and a few white ones myself from ikea! :) I love the blue & greens!

I have to comment again… I loved how you painted the inside of your cabinets before but the addition of the blue and green glasses really makes it pop.

Have you seen Martha’s new line of paint at Home Depot? If so, do you think you could tell us which of her colors best matches the “Gentle Tide” color? I was at HD last night and (to the total embarassment of my husband) picked up one of every single paint chip. I’m trying to pursuade him to paint our bathroom or bedroom that color. Thanks! : )

Hey Liz,

We have seen that line of paint but I don’t have a paint deck from them yet… so unfortunately I can’t find a match for you. But they do color matching with her paint so you can bring the Benjamin Moore swatch that we recommended up to the desk and they can color match it to her paint. Hope it helps!

So light and ‘springy’! I love those glasses from World Market – such fun colors. I’m on the hunt for some new glasses so I’ll have to check World Market.