Reader Redesign: Instant Office

When Jennifer sent over some pictures of her sitting nook turned office we just had to share the goods. Here’s her letter:

Hey YHLers. I’m totally hooked on your blog and wanted to share my recent home office makeover. It went from a non-functional sitting room (it actually did function as a laundry dumping ground which was not very pleasing to the eyes, and really served no other purpose) to an extremely functional home office space. A lot of the major stuff was already owned, such as the chandelier and the desk (moved from another room in the house). We just dressed things up a bit by creating a homemade bulletin board, craft storage using a magnetic board and spice tins, a large photo collage wall calendar, wallpapering the desk and adding some other pops of pink to keep things feeling fun and fresh. The paint color on the walls is Behr’s Ultra Primer/Paint combo in Frozen Pond. You can check out the step by step process here on my blog, where I spilled all the details of getting from point A to completion. Now that the room is so functional, we find ourselves spending a ton of time there, and it also forces us to hang up our laundry, where it belongs! I hope you enjoy. Thanks again for being so inspirational! – Jennifer

Here’s Jennifer’s formerly unused seating nook before the big office upgrade:

And here’s her new office after the budget-friendly makeover:

Didn’t Jennifer do a great job of turning a laundry-collecting chair into a fully functional office packed with storage space and style? We love everything from the high-hung floating shelf and those great magnetic spice tins to the crisp white hanging vases that hold pens and markers. And isn’t the teardrop chandelier charming too? Great job Jennifer! What do you guys think? Any favorite details? Is there anyone else out there who’s ready to give a wasted corner in their house a big office makeover?

Comments

This looks awesome!! I love Jen’s blog. She has awesome, inexpensive organizing ideas! It’s worth your time to check out her blog!

2. jennifer F says

so cute…and functional. I wish my office was that clean and organized :-) What did u end up doing with that chair? I am in desperate search for a chaise for my bedroom and yours looks similar to what I’m looking for.

3. Jen Z. says

great makeover! {clapping} I can’t wait to makeover our mess of a home office. Great inspiration Jennifer! :-D

4. Kristen says

I love it all!! But my favorite is the desk. So big and spacious. Way to go Jennifer!

So cute! She did a great job, and everything is super-organized! She has a wonderful blog – I keep reading it hoping that oneday some of her organizational skills might rub off on me! :) Fab job, Jen!

6. Lisa says

I love it! I need to do that to my office.

Any tips for making an office space that’s both male and female friendly? We have a baby on the way, so the “Man Cave” is going to serve as an office for both of us. I can’t say I’m too thrilled with the Man Cave look — I’d love something like Jennifer’s room — but I know he won’t go for anything too girly.

Just use gender neutral colors you can both agree on (chocolate and slate blue, or even a light gray-blue and a steely gray) when it comes to the accessories (in the place of anything pink). Hope it helps!

7. jessica says

Great job! I love the pops of pink and the high shelf, she really used every inch of space!

8. Stephanie says

Hey There!!

I have been studying the floating shelves that you have used in your dining area from IKEA. What I can’t figure out is what style they are? If you would please let me know, that would be great. Also, if you happen to know the size (lengh and width) that would be even better!

I am looking to replicate this look in my eat in kitchen. I have a huge wall and I need to fill it with something stylish that won’t break the bank!!

Thanks for your help!