Reader Redesign: Pop The Cork

When Emily emailed us with a great textural and natural DIY project we had to share the goods. Here’s her letter:

I really REALLY enjoy reading your blog. I’m totally hooked on it- you have so many GREAT and accomplishable ideas. I’m constantly inspired by the things that you guys create and recently I completed one of my own DIY projects: a wine cork bulletin board. It was a simple project but really rewarding. You can check out the full story here on my blog, but I wanted to share the photos with you and let you know how inspiring you are to me everyday (from painting a wall to traveling around the country with your little furbaby). Thank you very much. –Emily

Isn’t she sweet? We’re blushing over here. But on to the eye candy. First Emily used inexpensive old frames that she already had laying around:

And she painted them black just in case any of the background showed through after she glued the corks in place:

Here she is gluing everything down with a glue gun:

And here’s the gorgeous grid of DIY cork boards that Emily ended up with (on a serious budget to boot):

Didn’t she do a great job? We’re no strangers to having corks around the house for texture and a splash of natural interest so we especially love what she did because it would fit right into our home. How about you guys? Is there anyone else out there who’s thinking of trying their hand at a cork bulletin board after seeing Emily’s fantastic finished product? Tell us all about it.

Psst- Wanna see one two of our favorite cork-decorating ideas? Here’s a super speedy table setting where old collected wine corks are the star and here’s a quick and easy in-cabinet cork board that we whipped up for some great kitchen organization on a dime.

Comments

Cutie patootie! My brother in law did something similar for me as a Christmas present one year – easy and cheap gift idea, too! Only the corks he used were actually from our wedding, which made it even more special!!!

Love it!
    Lindsay

oh yes, and sherry i snagged your idea for the cork boards behind the cupboards–a great place to keep things!

also have some circular boards from ikea that are up in the office. love cork!

These look great. I like that she used 3 smaller ones instead of one giant one. Any tips on where to buy corks for those of us who don’t drink wine that often?

We actually got a bunch of empty wine glasses from a local wine store since they do regular wine tastings (which we repurposed to serve beverages like lemonade and sweet tea at our wedding). So you could look up a few wine stores in your yellow pages or online and call them to see if they mind saving them for you (they might even do it for free). You can also google around for “corks in bulk” and look on places like ebay and maybe even craigslist. Oh and recruiting friends or family members to help you save up also can work. Hope it helps!

very cute idea!!!
    i went to a little bistro that decorated w/wine corks. they used it as wall paneling, it was really cute, like a larger version of the frames in this post. and they also used the corks as chopstick place holders, they cut them in half and put some sort of sealant and place it under the chopsticks for the table setting. very cute!

I count 55 corks per board. Given the wine consumption rate in our house I estimate it would take us around 27 years to save up enough corks for just one of those.

Or we could buy them in bulk I guess – but where’s the fun in that?

Great job Emily! I love it!

Those looking for corks: I have bought a few bags of corks from Micheals craft store. If you have your 40% off coupon, it can save some $$. They are located in the vase filler isle across from the fake flowers (where they sell the rocks and stuff).

My good friend did a very similar project! She had a night job as a bartender, so she started keeping the corks of all the wine bottles she opened, and soon she had enough for a big board!

LB

8. Noreen says

Perfect timing!! I just asked you guys at YHL about cork project suggestions the other day!

Maybe this is a karmic hint that I need to get out my hot glue gun for those 100’s of corks gathering dust at our house…