How To Make A Framed Magazine Monogram

Every time we post a photo that includes the frame collage above our living room’s console table like this…

…or this…

final-living-room-after-2

…. or this…

black-and-white-anthropologie-drawer-pulls-knobs-hardware

…. we get a slew of emails asking where we bought or how we made the big P print that’s front and center. Well, it’s actually just the first letter of an article in a magazine that we cut out in a neat little 1 x 2 inch rectangle and had blown up around 300% at Kinko’s. You know how some articles start with one large letter and the rest of the first sentence followed? We just cut out that rectangle, enlarged it a bunch, and framed it.

Making it huge and putting it behind glass instantly created a customized monogram with very little work on our part, and we love how it came out! Just flip through magazines until you find your initial and head over to Kinko’s. A few dollars later it should be ready to frame (they look especially great with giant mats and pretty hefty frames to dress them up).

Psst- Looking for more easy DIY art ideas? Check out the bevy of links on our How To page in the “Artsy Ideas” category. And if you’re searching for framing arrangement ideas, this little video tutorial should have you covered.

Comments

I’ve only just done something like that this weekend, using your P as an example! I will snap some pics and put them up shortly. Great work.

I love this idea for some inexpensive DIY art. The hubby and I have lived in our apartment for a year now and our walls are still so bare. I am planning on trying this out soon!

3. Samantha says

“So you too can master the P (get it? Master P? no?) or any other letter that you’d like…”

Sherry….I love you. :) You crack me up! And I am so happy you gave a how-to on this. I was one of the people that emailed you about this! I can’t wait to make one! :)

This is so awesome! You wouldn’t believe how hard it is to find an “A” monogram anything! I guess there are a lot of “A” namers out there.

I painted our master bedroom yesterday and googled the paint color this morning to send my mother-in-law an online swatch. Turns out, I used Behr’s Harvest Brown, just like you guys did in this room! How awesomely random is that???

Hey Notesfromthegrove,

We actually used Glidden’s Sand White in the living room. But Behr’s Harvest Brown sounds lovely (and I’m sure has a very similar look). Hope it helps!

You know, I was just thinking about this project again this weekend. Right now I have a black shelf with large black K and P initals on either side of a piece of framed art with (reddish-orange coral inside to be exact) but the pieces are smaller than I’d like and I’ve been wanting a large frame with the letter “D” for our last name. I can’t wait to display this on our new hallway shelf! I have a couple filmstrip black & white photos and may copy that idea that you have up as well. ;)

One question-I love the white frame with the large mat that you used. Where did you get yours? Ikea, Target, Michaels?

Hey Karla D,

Ours was actually from Ikea. Great guess! We’re not sure if they sell the exact frame and mat anymore (we’ve looked for them recently and haven’t seen them) but they definitely have similar options (along with Target, Michael’s, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc). Hope it helps!

7. Leigh says

Yay!!! I am so going to do this. I have such a hard time finding an “F” monogram. I find every other letter except the one I need. I guess that’s how it goes. I think I can DIY this though.

Hi guys!
    This is so funny that you posted this today, I actually made a trip to IKEA this weekend to gather some fun decor items and frames, one with the intention of recreating your “P”! THANK YOU! we love your site, keep up the good work!

9. Sugar Cookie says

I have admired this monogram many times and will probably make one of my own to contribute to me and my husband’s current “B” collection. My maiden name also began with a B, so I love the monogram and any form I can display it in around our house. Thanks for the cute idea!