How To Install A Water Filtration System Under The Sink

Sherry and I are total water hogs. Between refilling our Klean Kanteens at least 5 times a day and rarely ordering anything else at restaurants (I gave up soda for 2009), we are certainly a well hydrated couple. And while our area has decent water quality, we’ve always talked about getting some sort of filter just to be a bit more thorough since we’re such big agua drinkers. We never took the leap because faucet-mounted filters tend to cramp our style and I couldn’t get in the habit of keeping a pitcher filter full (plus those pitchers are made of plastic and Sherry prefers glass and stainless steel).

So imagine how grateful we were when someone gifted us this under-sink filter from Filtrete (who knew they did more than air filters?).

Hiding everything under the sink sure sounded like the perfect design for us. Plus, it promised “easy” installation with “minimal tools.” Since Sherry knew that “easy” plumbing projects were right up my alley, this became my Sunday morning assignment last weekend.

I started by clearing out everything under our sink, turning off the cold water and readying the “minimal” set of tools needed. These are all the items included in their box (filter, filter head, tubing and screws) plus the tools listed in their instructions (screwdriver, adjustable wrench, drill and knife to cut tubing), though I also found it helpful to have plumber’s tape handy (not pictured). Oh, and a curious chihuahua is extra credit.

The first step was installing the screws for the filter head. After holding it up in place (with enough room underneath for inserting and removing the filter), it was easy to mark its placement with a pencil, drill a couple of holes and insert screws to secure it in place. This photo shows me testing my placement, but you actually don’t tighten the filter head into place until all the tubing is attached. It’s nice and pretty under our sink, eh? Not. (<– join me in the fight to bring “not” back).

The next steps were to remove the existing piping and begin connecting two lengths of cut-to-size tubing in its place. Well, our existing pipes were attached so tightly that it ended up taking four hands (mine and Sherry’s) to get them loose, leaving no one to operate the camera (Burger hasn’t quite mastered that skill yet). So all I’ve got to show you in the finished product.

Here’s one length of blue tubing (cut using a straight edge knife) connecting to our cold water hook-up on one end and the Filtrete filter head on the other. The cold water end attaches using a hex-nut attachment included in the package. The filter head end slides right into the opening and holds using a “push-in fitting.” It was easy as pie.

Similarly, on the other end you connect another length of cut blue tubing to the filter head and to your faucet attachment. This again attaches to the filter head using the push-in fitting, and the other end attaches using a faucet adapter included in the set. No surprise here – very easy to do.

Then, once the filter head was tightened into place, we just had to pop in the water filter that’s provided. It simply slips into the head and locks into place with a small quarter turn. The filters are supposed to be replaced every 6 months, so we wrote ourselves a really big reminder on our filter using a black sharpie.

The package also included a reminder sticker (this makes organized people like Sherry smile like it’s Christmas) so we stuck it in her dayplanner. Now there are two reminders floating around our house. When it comes time to replace our filter in December, we’re thinking we might upgrade from our current Advanced filter (which reduces sediments, chlorine tastes and odors – just like a Brita pitcher would) to the Professional filter (which also eliminates parasitic cysts – like a Brita or Pur faucet-mount filter does).

But back to our little project play-by-play. Next we just finished up the installation by turning the water back on, running the faucet for about 5 minutes (to clear our the system) and checking for leaks (none – score!). Now we can enjoy our cleaner and purer water without any extra hassle or faucet attachments.

How ’bout you? Are you heavy water drinkers like us? Do you filter your H2O? If so, what system do you use to clear things up? Do you use an aerator to reduce your water usage? We’d love to hear every watery detail…

1. Jessica says

Does your fridge have a filtered water dispenser? That’s the water we drink at home. With our house we inherited an under-sink filter complete with an ultra-violet bulb (which is supposed to be the cleanest you can make your water) but changing the filter and the bulb got to be too expensive and too much of a hassle, so we recently took the whole thing out.

2. Carla says

Awesome post! We absolutely HATE our water. Even with the purifier in the fridge and having a Britta pitcher, the water still tastes gritty and kinda like chlorine… BLEH! We too like prefer glass/stainless to plastic bottles, so it kills us to constantly go out and buy cases of water to have in the house. We are very excited to try this system out – let’s hope it will help us save the environment and some green! Thanks!!

Wow I hadn’t even thought about one of these. We had a faucet mount filter and, let me just take this moment to say: It was total crap. Any kind of heavy duty dish-washing threatens to smack the thing and crack/break it.

So we’ve been drinking straight from the tap, and praying that our local water supply doesn’t come from the, ahem, “Water Treatment Plant” (read: poo processor) a couple miles away.

Needless to say, one of these handy little under-sink puppies is on my list of things to get, and fast!

You will not regret getting a filtration system. We have a rainsoft water filtration system for our entire house, and now I can’t live without it. Our boys have really bad excema, and the filtration system was really for them but it has made such a difference in how our clothes feel and our skin after showers that we will have one as long as we can. The price wasn’t something that we were happy about but all the results we were happy about.

5. Amanda says

We used to buy tons of bottled water, when someone bought us an instantaneous hot/cold water jug stand for Christmas. Yes, it uses five gallons plastic jugs, but at least they are recyclable (and we do recycle them every time – plus they give you over half off if you do recycle them!).

Adding water filtration wasn’t an option for us because we have cistern water. We’d have to filter the water in several spots to make it drinkable.

That would be so much nicer than having to refill the pitcher every other day. And would help when I make iced tea too. As far as the aerators go… I have one in my shower at my apartment and I am not a fan. I realize they reduce the amount of water, but when its cold first thing in the morning and you turn the shower on, you don’t want to come face to face with bursts of air and water. It’s cold and uncomfortable for a minute.

But it’s good to know that it’s such an easy solution once I get to a more permanent place.

Great tutorial, John! My husband and I do suck down water like its our job, so this might be something we should consider. We have the water filter in our refrigerator’s water dispenser, but it would be nice to have super clean water straight from the faucet. Plus, my husband LOVED tackling a garbage disposal project, so I’m sure this would be right up this alley! :p

Hey, this is really cool! And Sherry, I totally dig the reminder sticker too! :-) Question for ya, how has the filter affected your water pressure, and does it mean that all water is filtered including, say, washing the dishes?

9. Nicole says

How does this work? I’ve been wanting one for a while, but the hubby is cautious.

Also, I love your day planner. I’ve been looking for a good one. Where did you get it?

hi friends…
    We use our fridge’s PUR water filter. It is super handy cause it is built right in but I never did the research on what exactly got filtered out…hmm…I might need to get on that. I definitely don’t want the boyfriend to turn into a mutant :)

you rock.
    xo – Katie

11. LauraC says

Under-the-sink filters are great. We used one in Lawton, OK where every year we would get a letter from the city which told us they had failed the mandatory water tests – too much chlorine, etc! Crazy. Not only are under-the-sink filters more asthetically pleasing, they’re cheaper to boot! We haven’t installed one in our new house in WA, but plan to soon.

12. April in CT says

We have an in fridge water filter (inside the door so it’s a pain and I feel guilty each time I stand with the door open filling my glass). I use it, but DH refills his Klean Kanteen right from the well water tap. I would love to have one of these, but being renters we have to pick and choose what we can install.

Thanks for posting about it because I didn’t even know they existed!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey everyone,

Lots of questions! First of all, our new filter doesn’t effect the water flow at all. Not one bit (it even promises that it doesn’t on the packaging and we can vouch for that as well) so that’s nice. We do have a built-in water filter on the front of our fridge, but we like to fill our wide mouthed Klean Kanteen at the sink so this is super convenient and will be used a lot more than the fridge filter. As for where I got my planner, it’s from good ‘ol Target (I always pick one up about a week in January for a major discount). Oh and just our faucet water is filtered with this system (since the dishwashing water bypasses it completely) which is also nice since we’re conserving the filter (this is probably why it lasts a nice long time before a change- we love that we only have to remember to do it once a year). All in all, we’re loving it. Oh and it doesn’t remove flouride from the water, so that’s another plus.

Hope it helps!