Reader Redesign: Totally Turned On

Laura’s lamp makeover really lights our fire. It’s amazing what a little spray paint can do. Here’s her letter:

I wanted to share this quick DIY project I completed last Friday after getting out of work early. I just bought a lamp at the local Salvation Army up in Alexandria, VA, and stopped over at the Home Depot for some spray paint and polyurethane. The project didn’t take that long and I used “Rust-oleum” Painter’s Touch in satin Aqua, with a clear gloss coat. I also wanted to say how much I love your blog! You are very talented people and I’m so glad to hear that you are only a few hours south of me- yay for “locals”!  -Laura

img_0624

img_0637

img_0651

Isn’t Laura’s lighting makeover proof that style can come at any price? And we love that she took matters into her own hands and snagged something secondhand. Nice recycling job there Laura! You can read more about the process right here on her blog. And definitely tell her how much you love it right here. Yay for “locals” and spray paint.

Comments

Love this! I recently scored some metal wall art from Goodwill and spray-painted it black to match our decor. Gotta love a secondhand find! Thanks for sharing. I might have to try this with a lamp!

PARTY ON!!! Wow, that stuff is fabulous … as a hostess I’ve found that if you have a theme the party tends to take care of itself … also, I always have cocktail parties with a little finger food. No sit down dinners not too many places to sit in general … keeps the party moving and people mingling …

I’ve wanted to spray my shiny gold doorknobs a more modern color instead of buying new ones… but I am nervous. Anyone done this before? Will it be a possible disaster?

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Shelley,

Good question! We’ve heard from readers that using a hammered spray paint (hammered black, hammered silver) can really look amazing. We have also read other reports online that it’s not a long-term solution because it might flake or chip with use (although spray paint formulas get better every day). Anyone else care to weigh in who has some experience with this project?!

4. MissCaron says

WOW … I’m an idiot and totally posted my previous comment on the wrong post .. but I also meant to post on this lamp …

Very cool. My grandmother has two lamps that she’s constantly repainting to match her decor and you’d never tell. Best part is they’re urn lamps and the urn has a pattern so when it’s painted with a solid color the pattern still shows through but is very subtle … sooooo cool.

5. Lynn says

I love that lamp! Beautiful color.

Hey, can you post Laura’s URL for her blog? I can’t click through using hidemya@#.com

Thanks for sharing!

6. SarahB says

I have 2 lamps I bought on Craig’s List last year. They are made of a plastic-y sort of material. What kind of spray paint would you recommend for plastic? They are in serious need of a face lift. Thank you!

::shout out from Lancaster, PA – we love your blog!::

7. JenniG says

Hah! My mom has two of that exact same lamp! She’s had them at least my whole life, and I am almost 32. I will have to sneak over in the dead of night and try this technique!

8. Krysta says

Great transformation! I’m a thrift store junky and trolling the isles I try to remind myself to focus on shapes not finishes…paint works wonders.

I LOVE the lamp, the awesome blue color, and how it pops perfectly with the bold wall color. I also love the braided-trunk money tree beside it! So sweet.

It never surprises me to see what a can of spray paint can do. Honestly, everytime I head out to Fan Thrift, Diversity or For the Love of Jesus, I have to hold myself back because I see so much potential on the cheap. Thanks for the sharing her lamp overhaul!