Secrets And Closet Crashing

We’ve been keeping a pretty juicy secret from you guys. But don’t worry, this isn’t one of those I-know-something-you-don’t-know posts. We’re telling you that we have a secret because we’re ready to reveal every dirty detail. Or at least begin to unravel the tangled web of secret traveling that we recently enjoyed. It’s the crossover event of the season, and we’re not talking about Grey’s Anatomy…

me-and-katie-pic

Do you know who that is? Why it’s Katie Bower from All Bower Power. After a few months of commenting and emailing back and forth we decided to take our internet friendship to the next level and she actually invited John and I out to her gorgeous home. We jumped at the chance to roadtrip down to Atlanta and House Crash Katie (and her lovely hubs Jeremy) in the flesh, and we ended up spending three super fun days shacking up at Casa Bower, hanging out all day and staying up all night (the boys even played racquetball while we sat on the floor and talked for hours).

But it wasn’t all play and no work. On the contrary. Katie and I actually joined forces to make a little decorating video and spent an afternoon rearranging a corner of her bedroom for zero dollars and zero cents (bonus points because we used two power tools to do it). So stick around to see lots of yummy eye candy and even a little step-by-step decorating video that we whipped up thanks to John and Jeremy who were silently taping in the wings.

katie-with-her-flip

And since we know you guys have been asking to see our closets, we decided to half-fulfill your fantasy while on the road by snapping a few pics of Katie’s dreamy dressing room while we were there. We’re calling this little feature “Closet Crashing” and we’re so excited to continue the snoop-fest in the future. Without further ado, here’s Katie’s colorful wardrobe full of cheerful attire (arranged by shade of course):

closet-organization-ikea-wardrobe

You may notice that it looks a lot like John’s closet (except there’s a bit more pink) due to the fact that we have the same Ikea wardrobes in our bedroom with white curtains draped in front of them for concealed storage. The reason I say that it looks like John’s closet and not mine is because about 99.9% of my clothes are black, so I always photograph John’s side since his colorful work shirts are a lot more interesting than my black hole of a wardrobe.

And you may wonder how the lovely Katie stores her jewelry. Here she is modeling her awesome clear Ikea drawers that slide in and out for easy bling-wrangling:

katie-bower-closet-crashing

Her baubles are also stored according to color and material, and the awesome wall of wardrobes in her extra bedroom makes it easy to corral tons of stuff with bins, baskets, shelves, and hanging rods a plenty. Of course her organized changing area left me in sheer awe.

jewelry-storage-drawer-ikea-dressing-room

So there’s a little taste of the Katie-centric things to come. We really had a blast hanging out for the weekend and we both had our blogs on our mind, so we were sure to snap oodles of photos and put her new Flip video to good use for your viewing pleasure. Stay tuned…

Comments

loves it! It’s my favorite thing when people show their closets, I don’t know why. Some sick OCD fascination with organization, I think.

And thanks for rec’ing a new blog for me…bower power added to my list!

2. Allison says

Ooo I’m really excited to hear more about this house/closet crashing. :) And yay for new friendships! There’s something so heartwarming and exciting about new friends.

I’m thinking you guys had a really fun weekend. I’ve been reader Bower for a little while now, and she is hilarious! Can’t wait to see what all you did.

4. Lisa T says

I can’t believe I didn’t know you were in the ATL!!! I totally needed you to stop by for some finishing off advice — I’d send photos but I’ve been too lazy for that.

5. Jennifer Bailes says

LOVE this closet idea….

I didn’t know where else to write this but what do you suggest when wanting to decorate a spanish themed living room?

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Jennifer,

Hmm, I would probably google “spanish decor” or “spanish living room” and look at images for inspiration. You can also pick a sultry color palette like red and chocolate and go from there. Of course using an inspiration piece could help you develop the entire room around it, so maybe finding an amazing spanish throw or piece of art on ebay could get the ball rolling. Hope it helps! Happy decorating…

xoxo,
      Sherry

I went and looked at your friends blog and love it too!!! While over there I saw that you are in third place so instantly I was inspired to go vote for you. I think you should make mention of the placement at this point because I’m sure there are others like me that just assume you have the win in the bag!!! Just a thought!!! Hoping you win and excited to see the rest of the updates from your visit to Bower Power!

7. Jill says

OMG……….can’t wait for the video. Katie is super funny, I just jumped on the link. I organized and cleaned out my closets when you posted about that. This weekend I am doing our garage (gasp).

Unfortunately with the hubs and kidlet (who are both notorious pack rats) and me (OCD, if we haven’t used it in 6 months, get rid of it) should make for a fun project (Happy Mother’s day to me!).

8. Corinne says

I came across your blog a few weeks ago and I can’t seem to get enough. I also keep checking out Bower Power. You both are just so talented and inspire me to get cracking on my house. The only thing that sucks is that I’m in love with so many things from zgallerie and they don’t ship to Canada BOOOHOOO!! I’m also in love with your daybed and I went to the westelm here in Toronto but they only sell it in the US. So double BOOO for me.

I guess I will just have to move to the US LOL

Anyways – keep up the good work and I will be checking out your blog everyday!!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Leslie,

It’s actually just a top from the Ann Taylor sales rack. You know I love a deal!

Sherry