Reader Redesign: Nice Chest

When we saw the magic that Mindy worked on an old dresser we had to share the eye candy. Here’s her letter:

I love your website and eagerly look forward to reading it everyday. I just thought I would show you my dresser re-do! The hubs and I really needed a dresser but didn’t want to spend a lot. We like things that are solid and made really well. So, after finding this antique dresser on Craigslist I decided to fix it up. I took the handles off and filled the holes in, sanded the varnish off, primed it, then painted it with two coats of Behr’s “lime light.” Then I drilled the holes for the new knobs and lined it with contact paper. It was fun to do and I did almost everything in one afternoon (but left it to dry for 24 hours before putting the new knobs on). The dresser was $20, paint was $17, knobs were $19, contact paper was $5 which brings the total to around $60! Thanks for all your inspiration! -Mindy

Here’s the seen-better-days before:

img_3892

And the amazing after:

img_3937

img_3918

Anyone who knows us knows that we like a crisp new paint job. And anyone who knows us well knows that we’re actively drooling over this fabulous transformation. Mindy, it looks absolutely amazing! You did a lovely job and the fun contact paper is the icing on the DIY cake. Thanks so much for sending the deeeelicious pics our way.

Comments

Wow! Love that. I am always inspired by other people’s Craigslist finds, but I feel like I have never noticed anything fabulous on there. I don’t think I would have recognized the potential in this piece though. Great eye!

WOW! Mindy you’ve got the magic touch. It’s beautiful and looks like a very expensive piece. Nice work; thanks for sharing :)

3. Kate says

Does anyone know where to find contact paper like that? Everything I find is dull and boring.

Thanks! =)

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey everyone,

We’re so glad you’re digging Mindy’s dresser makeover as much as we are! As for where the contact paper is from, we believe we’ve seen it at Target so that’s our best guess. Hopefully she’ll drop in and confirm (and see all the praise she’s getting). Gotta love a quick and painless paint makeover!

Sherry

LOVE THIS!!!! After checking out all these AMAZING finds and finishes….I am off to check out craigslist! actually…I am off to vote for you all on hgtv, and THEN to check out craigslist! :)

I love seeing redesigns like this! When my friend moved into her first apartment during college I helped her paint an old dresser her dad had been keeping in their garage. The result was absolutely stunning and I was even jealous of her “new” dresser in comparison to the furniture I had just spent a hefty amount of money on. Needless to say, seeing rehabs like this are such an inspiration!

6. MaryB in Richmond says

I agree with Blayne — I’m not sure I recognize the potential in such “finds” on Craigslist and elsewhere…but keeping up with this blog is at least helping me to think about it!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the polka dot contact paper; what a fun and unexpected surprise.

WONDERFUL!

It looks great! I’m jealous of everyone’s Craiglist or Goodwill finds. The pickings around here are slim. (I have that contact paper too in my hall closet!)