Our $319 Patio Makeover (Complete With Loungers & A Fire Pit!)

So did you guys think we spent the long weekend relaxing and eating burgers? Do you know us at all? Ok, so we did do our fair share of grillin’ out, but we also found the time to transform the back patio. Yep, we mentioned that we longed for a welcoming and functional outdoor room to grill stuff up, chillax with a good book (or glossy shelter mag) and whip up some melty s’mores… and we just couldn’t wait one minute longer to make our backyard dream a ready-for-summer reality. Here’s what our back patio looked like before Memorial Day weekend- all lonely except for an old Target table and chair set purchased about two years ago.

updated-patio-after-picture1

And here’s what it looked like Saturday morning after a bit of assembling, potting, and even a quick fire-pit-building project. We happily got ‘er done in a few hours so we had the rest of the long weekend to enjoy our newest room. Here’s how it all went down.

final-patio-after

We actually ordered these two Walmart lounge chairs (which appear to be sold out now) a few months back with birthday money from our families. We were dying for a place to read, watch Burger run around, and maybe even do some outdoor blog stuff (and a friend with two lounge chairs totally inspired us to take the plunge). But although they were sadly on backorder for what seemed like forever, these matching loungers ended up being well worth the wait (and their $277 price tag for two). In fact we were so excited about finally getting our mitts on them that John assembled ‘em on Friday night at dusk- because neither of us could bear to wait another minute to enjoy them.

patio-makeover-before-and-after

You think I’m kidding. Here I am taking one out for a spin that evening. In the dark. Yeah, we’re nerds.

evening-lounge-chair-set-up

And of course we’re loving our little firepit that we made by stacking some heat-resistant pavers far enough away from the house and any low trees to be safe.

paver-and-stacking-stone-firepit

We also brought in two simple black planters that we purchased at Ikea a few months back and popped some $6 boxwoods in ‘em for a bit more life and color on our newly spruced patio. You’ll also notice the green lumbar pillow (stolen from our porch makeover) on our lounge chair. We liked the pop of hue so much that we’re thinking about bringing home two more for our lounge chairs so this little green guy can go back to his former home on the front porch.

lounge-chair

We already had our big-ish stainless steel grill (we actually purchased it for our backyard wedding where our dads grilled up grub for our guests) – but we found that we rarely used it since… probably because the rest of the patio left much to be desired. As a testiment to our new makeover, we’ve grilled up at least four meals in the past three days so we’re extremely excited to be using it instead of spending years keeping it covered and never even cracking it open.

backyard-bbq-makeover

Here’s another view of the brand-spankin-new set-up. We love that there’s more than enough room to move around and that we were able to create a few different functions in one not-that-huge area. Making a space multitask is definitely one of our favorite ways to force ourselves to use it more frequently (it’s why we moved our dining area into our hardly-ever-used living room and now we’re in there all the time).

stone-patio-backyard-overhaul-makeover

Of course Burger loves the new set up and has already claimed both lounge chairs as his (he switches chairs every twenty minutes or so for good measure).

backyard-cobblestone-patio-makeover

But every once in a while John and I actually get to steal them back and enjoy our lovely backyard with a book on our lap and an ice cold beverage on the “new” side table (an old Ikea stool in the garage got a coat of black exterior paint and a topcoat of outdoor poly). Life is good when you have the perfect little spot to drop a drink, a book or a snack.

firepit-and-bare-feet-making-smores

And if you’re Burger, life is pretty good no matter where you are or what you’re doing… but it’s especially fabulous on those new lounge chairs. At least that’s the story his eyes are telling in this photo.

chihuahua

And speaking of the good life, we even got a chance to take our fire pit out for a spin yesterday night when we whipped up a few s’mores after a yummy dinner courtesy of – you guessed it- the grill.

outdoor-fireplace-making-smores

Is there anything better than a scorched marshmallow smooshed onto a hunk of chocolate and sandwiched in a honey graham cracker? I think not.

delicious-smore

And apparently I’m not alone in that sentiment. Here’s John loving his s’more to the max (as Burger lurks in the shadows).

making-smores-in-the-backyard-firepit

And since we know you guys are figure-heads, here’s our fun little budget breakdown. Since our patio was a lot bigger than our front porch we figured it would run us well over $500 for the whole shebang, but we’re super excited to report that we did it on a whole lot less (especially since the money that went towards the lounge chairs was a b-day gift from both of our families).

• Lounge chair set: $277
  • Two black Ikea planters: $30
  • Two boxwoods for the planters: $12
  • Side table: repurposed Ikea stool (aka: free, but it was only $19 originally)
  • Grand Total: $319.00

So what did you guys do for your long weekend? Did you tackle any house projects? Did you flee your casa in an attempt to forget all the things on your to do list? Did you get to enjoy the miracle that is a s’more? Do tell.

Comments

This looks terrific! I’m always impressed by your ability to create something you want from items you already have, thereby saving yourselves more money.

And I’m thinking we might need to move to Richmond, if only for the chance to find a nice house with a gigantic yard. *sigh* It’s a dream we Chicagoans may never realize (at least not on the scale that you have), but we love where we are, and that’s important, too.

Enjoy your “new” patio!

2. Elizabeth says

That is seriously, utterly gorgeous! I love it – and I have serious sun-lounger envy. I have no room for sun loungers in my tiny English garden, do you think replacing the back wall of my house with glass doors is a good compromise instead?!
    Oh & I voted, fingers crossed for you guys!

3. EastEnd says

Well, I discovered the south of the James farmer’s market this weekend, thanks to you! I was completely charmed by it!

I love those black pots from Ikea. I have been shopping around for simple black pots for about a week now for my front porch and haven’t really found any that I like. These look perfect! Now, why isn’t Ikea in Richmond again? I hate having to drive to Woodbridge to buy these. Sherry/John, have you seen something identical here (black, basic, cheap) in Richmond? I have tried Lowe’s, Big Lots and Target. No luck :(

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Elle,

Sometimes it seems like it’s harder to find a simple clean-lined planter than it is to find a red one shaped like an elephant. Really! We haven’t seen any similar versions a bit closer to home, but the $14 price tag of these giant black ceramic babies had us at hello (you usually pay that much for plastic ones of this size). You might want to try somewhere like Pier 1 or even TJ Maxx just to see if they have anything that comes close…

Hope it helps!

Sherry

Love it! I’m saving this link to use when I get my house (hopefully this summer and hopefully with enough room to have a patio). I would LOVE to make our own fire pit!

Looks so inviting! I love the firepit, I’m wanting to do one in my backyard but have to wait until my baby (he is 11) gives me the go-ahead to get rid of the play structure. I’m suddenly craving s’mores….

Awesome! You did a great job with the remod. I wish I was there enjoyng a grilled meal with you. I can’t wait til we do our patio next summer. Thanks for the continued inspiration!

8. sarah says

looks refreshing!

what is on the steps to the sunroom in one of the pictures? It’s green- is it a watering can? if so, where did you get it?

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Sarah,

That is indeed a green plastic watering can from Target (a gift from my mother in law, but I think it was only around $2). Hope it helps!

Sherry

Oh how I wish my patio were that big! We tore out all of the dead stuff from our patio/pergola so that we can start fresh and start enjoying ours again. The upside was that the dead grape vines that used to grace the pergola made for excellent firewood so we also got to enjoy a fire!

10. Ellen says

Great looking patio! And of course it seems that it is so much more useable, sounds like you have enjoyed it to the max this past weekend. And it is so funny to see Burger in so many pictures…he like Where’s Waldo!

The patio looks gorgeous! We just ripped up a huge, ugly concrete slab from our backyard and are about to start building a new deck and patio. I already have one lounge chair for me…but you have inspired me to buy one more so my hubby can read (or nap) next to me all summer on the new patio! Thanks for the great pictures!

Love the patio makeover!

This weekend we bought a new washer and dryer. We spent all weekend making it look awesome courtesy of your how-to guide!

We will definitely send before/after pics your way when its done… still waiting on the polyurethane to dry all the way.

13. Priscilla says

I dedicated this weekend to our last weekend of slacking off. We did everything but house projects because starting this weekend, its all about the projects again! Beginning with the kitchen then the patio. We’re planning on using pavers and making our own little bonfire pit as well, so I’m so glad you posted something about your own patio. You guys are truly my inspiration!

Can I ask if you what the paved patio cost you? Did you guys do it yourself (I didn’t see a how-to blog about it)? Just getting estimates as we prepare to do ours. Thanks! =)