Our Nest Made The Nest Magazine!

And not only did we make the mag, we actually made the cover. I know! There may or may not have been some excited screaming for a few hours after we found out.

cover feature young house love on the nest magazine

Needless to say we’ve been beyond excited about this little write up (which was shot back in November when they also filmed our video house tour). It was a pretty busy day… and Burger got to meet a crew of ten people for the occasion (a hair & make-up lady, a wardrobe stylist, an assistant to the wardrobe stylist, the photographer of course, his two assistants, the creative director, the prop stylist, his assistant, and a videographer).

young house love blog magazine press the nest magazine

Yeah, that’s right. They dressed us up (no those aren’t our clothes, but it is our dog!), powdered our faces (well, not Burger’s) and told us to smile pretty for the camera. We were both super self conscious (so many eyes- and lenses- on us) but we tried to keep our cool and act like it was just another ordinary day at Casa Petersik.

TheNestSpread2 YHL Young House Love

A bunch of you guys have actually seen the spread already since you opened your mailboxes and saw our smiling faces! The hilarious part of the story is that we actually never got a copy of our own (they said it would arrive around March 30th but it has yet to find its way to our house) so we finally got to see the story this weekend thanks to a friend who got the mag and met up with us to pass it along! The Nest magazine is a subscription only publication (they send it out to over 200,000 newlyweds, but it can’t be picked up in stores), so of course we were beyond thrilled when our friend called us to say that she had a copy in her hot little hands.

young house love feature in the nest magazine

And now that we’ve seen it, we couldn’t be more enamored (and relieved- our nerdy self-consciousness isn’t nearly as obvious in the pictures as we thought it was). Of course the photographer, David A. Land, captured our house beautifully, and the staff over at The Nest did such an amazing job putting it all together. Oh and could our little fur baby have looked any cuter? Did you see that pooch eye contact on the cover? Is Burger not destined to be a star?!

young house love in the nest magazine

Now we’ll wrap things up with a JPEG of each page of the article at a readable size (here’s spread 1, spread 2, spread 3, and spread 4 – just click on each one to zoom in). And we’ll be back with another post full of behind the scenes details later in the week. So… as we say so often around here… stay tuned!

Psst: here’s that post full of behind the scenes details so you can see how a national magazine really captures all those glossy shots.

Comments

I got this in the mail last week, and I was like, “That’s Sherry and John!” I’ve never gotten a copy of this mag before and I’m not a subscriber, but I was glad I randomly got that issue! Congrats!

2. Lisa says

Wow, I can’t believe you never even got your own copy! How silly of them to not send you one. I’ve been enjoying my copy for over a week now (I wish I knew, I would have offered to send it over). Maybe they’ll read this post, realize their gaffe and send you one on the double? Regardless, you and your home look spectacular as always! Thanks for providing so much inspiration.

3. Heather says

Congrats :) I’m glad you guys are back, I was a little worried after getting that bandwidth error all day Satruday..

4. Gord says

Wow! Congratulations John & Sherry! So cool …. all this fame is so cool! I remember when my wife and I first started reading your blog a long time ago … and suddenly here you are all famous! So happy for you guys – you do a great job.

5. CJ says

Hi from Missouri! We got the magazine in the mail this weekend and were just tickled to see you two on the cover. Way to go!

6. Jessi says

Kudos you guys!

Do you know how to subscribe for the mag? I would love to see it in person?

Thanks!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Jessi,

We’re actually a bit unclear about how the magazine actually works. In fact we really wanted to do a giveaway so a few lucky readers could win their own copy to peruse, but The Nest said that they’re currently not offering subscriptions. From what we understand they randomly send out 200,000 copies to newlyweds (none of whom have subscribed, but perhaps they entered their info on theknot.com or thenest.com and were randomly selected to receive it). But fear not, we’re definitely going to scan the article so that people can click it to read every last word, which will be almost as awesome as having the glossy version in your hot little hands!

xoxo,
      Sherry

7. Holly says

That is so awesome! I never did watch the video and can’t wait to check it out!

I do have a question for you, Sherry: Every picture I’ve seen of you on this blog, you have your hair pulled up/back. Just out of curiosity (and nosiness too!) can you tell us why? Do you not like your hair down? I hope you’re not offended, I’ve noticed this for awhile and just decided to ask!!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Holly,

I’m a shameless ponytail wearer. Seriously, it’s a rare day to see me with my hair down! Even my friends and family comment when I’m sans ponytail because it’s such an uncommon occasion. It’s probably because I’m always painting/drilling/sanding something and I like to be aerodynamic. Hehe. In truth I’m just a low maintenance girl I guess, and I’ve always liked my hair out of my face (even when it was short I usually pinned the front stuff back out of my face). Someday I’m sure a picture will surface with my hair down, but until then you’ll find me & my ponytail running around doing house stuff!

Sherry