Eve’s Design Dilemma: Solved

That’s right, we have after pictures for ya! We’re over the moon about Eve’s stunning dining room makeover and we’re here to share her amazing transformation. Back in February, Eve contacted us for some decorating help with her dining room, so we supplied paint color suggestions for the fireplace, wall, and trim around the room along with a few accessory ideas for the window and the table that would really make all the difference in her space (without breaking the bank). Here’s her letter:

When I first contacted you for help I promised myself that not only would I implement your recommendations immediately, I would also immediately send the after pictures. Here I am three months later – but I have an excuse… I cannot believe that such a simple thing like paint color can have such a grand effect. I LOVE MY ROOM NOW! The change was so immediate and so wonderful, I wish there was a way to capture the feeling of the room in my pictures. The new curtains made quite a difference too, and a quick trip to the basement helped me to uncover a white mirror I had purchased for my daugther’s room and never hung (it found a home on the fireplace wall). The paint colors you suggested are colors I would never have chosen, even as I made the purchases I was nervous of the end result. I’m so happy I trusted you. Walking into the house now gives me a sense of peace and order. At first my family and I felt like we were living in someone else’s house. Now we want the whole house to feel this way! You guys are awesome, THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! – Eve

Here’s the before picture of Eve’s dining room (she wanted our help making it more “glamorous and luxurious”):

And here’s the super fabulous after thanks to a few easy and affordable recommendations:

The difference is night and day, eh? But if you look closely you’ll see that it only took a few inexpensive changes to totally transform this room: painting that dated fireplace, bringing in a new wall color, adding a larger mirror above the fireplace, hanging new curtains and blinds on the window, and bring in a pretty tan runner to break up the large wooden table. And because we love a good budget breakdown, here’s Eve’s:

• Wall paint (Glidden’s Silver Plum): $23
  • Fireplace paint (Glidden’s Ready Mix White): $23
  • Mirror: free from basement
  • Curtains & blinds (Ikea Ofelia Rund curtains, Target clearance jute blinds): $33
  • Plants & planters in window (planters from Ikea): $28
  • Tabletop accessories (from Pottery Barn & Ikea): $50
  • TOTAL: $157

If that’s not proof that style is accessible at any budget, I don’t know what is. Fabulous job Eve! We actually also suggested that Eve stain or paint the table more of a mocha color but she has yet to tackle that project as she feels it’s a bit more involved than painting the walls or hanging new curtains! And although a darker table would really polish things off nicely in the future, we love the room just as it is- and we’re so thankful that Eve sent us the fabulous after pictures!

What do you guys think? Did Eve not do an amazing job executing the big dining room transformation?

Update: We sadly can no longer find the time to take on client commissioned mood boards (we now whip up general inspiration boards instead) but if we ever reinstate them we’ll make a big announcement!

Wow, that looks good Eva good job and great advice John and Sherry! The fireplace paint and wall color change certainly does the job and carries the room. The only thing i think is missing is a table that doesn’t compete with the new style. Sanding and darkening the color of the table would make this room even more awesome. Candles on the fireplace too would give even more of glam feel. All in all excellent work! I do enjoy a good before and after.

• YoungHouseLove says

That’s so funny KJ because we actually suggested that Eve stain or paint the table more of a mocha color but she has yet to tackle that project as she feels it’s a bit more involved than painting the walls or hanging new curtains! We totally agree that a darker table would really polish things off nicely in the future, but we also love the room just as it is- and we’re so thankful that Eve sent us the fabulous after pictures!

2. Molly Rosedale says

Can you provide the link to Eve’s mood board? I want to see the blind/curtaine suggestions since I have a bedroom that is in need of something just like this!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Molly & CG,

This actually wasn’t a mood board makeover it was a quickie decorating chat, but we can tell you that the curtains are Ofelia Rund curtains from Ikea (she used two sets but she already owned one set) and the blinds are from Target (she used three clearance paper jute blinds to span the window). Hope it helps!

3. Abby says

Amazing! I keep trying to get my fiance to agree to paint our fireplace white…he’s not falling for it though.

4. CG says

This looks beautiful! Would you mind telling where you found the blinds and curtains for such a great price?

Your ideas are so inspirational…thank you so much!

5. Beth says

Looks awesome!

Sherry, I think everyone should have the same window treatments as you (and now Eve)! I just did the same thing to my french doors after seeing it on your blog….it works in ANY room and is really genius. I don’t know where you got the idea to do that, but it makes for a great transformation and everyone should try it!

So much brighter – it looks great. I have to say that my favorite things in the room were already there – the chairs and the chandelier. Gorgeous!

7. Meghan says

Did you paint the chandelier? If so, can you please tell me how you did it?? I have a similar chandelier in my dining room (it came with the house) that is gold and I would love love love to paint it white, but I’m too scared to take the plunge.

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Meghan,

Eve actually didn’t paint the chandelier, but I’ve painted an old chandy that used to hang in my dining room. It’s super easy. Here’s how:

1. Remove chandelier and bring it outside
      2. Remove bulbs and tape off bulb pockets so paint doesn’t get in there
      3. Spray paint it the color of your choosing (you can lay it on cardboard to spray it or even hang it and spray it that way)

Some basic spray paint tips would be: don’t get the nozzle too close or stay in one area too long (you’ll get drips) and let each coat dry before applying the next thin, even coat (you might need 2-3 light coats, which are far better than one heavy, drippy coat). Hope it helps!

Absolutely amazing!! I love it! Now that we are almost completely done with our huge elaborate rip the walls down remodeling projects, I am learning that it’s the smaller, simpler things that can make a huge difference in a room and it sure as heck doesn’t cost a lot of money to make a big difference. Of course, it helps having good bones to work with. I love the blinds and room color – fabulous!

9. LuvnLife says

Forgive me if I missed this somewhere….But could someone tell me where I might find that wonderful chandelier?

Thank you!!

….Oh and I love, love, love your blog!! :)

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey LuvnLife,

We actually don’t know where the chandy is from since it was already in the space when we stepped in to help, but hopefully Eve will drop in and share those details soon!

10. Stephenie says

Great change. The mirror is a good solution but to maximize the impact I would recommend a longer mirror that fills the span of the wall above the fire place. Looks great!