The Ceramic Animal Club

It looks like I’m not the only one with a penchant for white ceramic animals. I just cracked open my new copy of Thom Filicia Style (I highly recommend it by the way- so inspiring!) and noticed a bit of a theme. Dude, the guy has a white ceramic eagle console table base!  And a giant white faux gazelle head mounted on the wall! And another giant ceramic eagle for a desk accessory. And a ornery little ceramic bull on a coffee table.

It was a revelation. Thom loves ceramic animals too. In fact, I spotted at least 14 different varieties (!) throughout the gorgeously designed pages of his book. That’s gotta be a record or something. And of course we can’t forget the famous Nate Berkus ceramic rhino (possibly this $3480 version right here) that pops up in his portfolio all the time. You know, the one that inspired my recent Valentine’s Day rhino from zgallerie (for just a bit less)?

We picked up this handsome pooch for just $29 at HomeGoods last March (around $436 cheaper than this almost identical version from Perch). It was love at first sight.

And two years ago we snagged this white iron bull for $25 at a flea market in North Carolina. He even gets festive Christmas ornament earrings every December. If that’s not love I don’t know what is.

Maybe we should start a Facebook group. Or host a ceramic animal meet and greet. Oh my goodness, how weird would that be? At least we don’t have names for them. So what about you guys? Is there anything that you love to collect? From milk glass to Disney paraphernalia, we wanna know what you happily hoard.

Click here for another ceramic animal that really gets my heart pumping. Too bad he’s $525.

1. Rachel says

I love how whimsical that white rhino is, and the white dog is lovely. So looking forward to having a real porch one day.

• YoungHouseLove says

Ha, Alina! Totally know what you’re talking about. I could see how Joey’s giant dog could be a turn off to the trend in general. It didn’t help that his whole apartment was like ’90s modern either. Hey, but at least it was on wheels and big enough to ride on.

2. srabee says

i have to admit that aside from the ornaments on that bull *yuck*, i love your ceramic animals more than any of thom’s. the ones in your home are done just to my liking! i think your collection is nice and not over the top.

3. Rachel says

My office at work is bursting at the seams with Disney (it’s bound to happen when you work for the mouse), but all the peices are unique (from Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris, Italy, Germany, etc). At home, I collect vintage Pyrex and vintage christmas ornaments.

My problem is that I end up UNHAPPILY collecting things. My family loves to give me both giraffe themed and iris themed items. While I love having a few of each of those items due to sentimental value, I also don’t really want an entire giraffe themed house–which is the direction that I’m quickly headed!

5. Lauren says

I love all those ceramic animals. And, those christmas earrings are a hoot! I collect pigs- all kinds..from piggy banks to stuffed animals and clothing. It’s my collecting obsession and I love it!

6. Kyle says

I’m not sure we collect anything specific, just whatever fits into our decor. My wife does have her eye on a white ceramic elephant (or camel, she’s not sure) from West Elm for our new bedroom though.

7. Millie says

As a complete foodie nerd, I have absolutely fallen in love with collecting old school cookbooks. I have a bunch that I’ve found at garage sales, straight from the 50’s and 60’s. Not only are they ridiculously charming, but they’re really fun to read too!

In fact, I liked the squirrel so much when I first saw it posted in here, that I looked for one here in Spain. Unfortunately, I wasn’t very lucky…

Love your blog! Keep up the good work!

9. Lori says

Anything I collect has to be useful. But I do love your ceramic animals – not too over the top like the designers’ versions. I collect siver napkin rings, the older the better and I love it if they have initials or names on them.

10. Lori says

Oh! I forgot to add that I got my “H” print in the mail from you. Now I just need to find a frame that will work…probably a black frame that has a white mat. Thanks!!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Lori,

So glad you got your magazine monogram! Feel free to send us pics when it’s all framed and hung…

I don’t think there is anything I really collect. I use to be big into collecting things but then I would get tired of it and have this whole collection of stuff I didn’t want anymore. I’m more into just getting pieces I love now. I’m sure if I went around I have several pieces of certain things that could be considered collecting but I don’t go in search of collecting any certain items. Just off the bat I can see several birds in my decor so there you go. haha!

I love the ceramic white animals, looks very slick. I have this one bird I love, but I don’t love the color of it. I was thinking of painting it white.

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Audrey,

How did you manage to find my favorite Jonathan Adler animal??!! He makes a bunch of them (we just saw the $395 horse this weekend) but that giraffe gets me every time. Unfortunately he’s a wee bit over our $25 spending limit when it comes to our collection. Oh well, maybe a used one will find me on craigslist or ebay someday…