Blayne’s Second Design Dilemma: Solved

Oh happy day! Blayne just sent us the after pictures for her recent living room makeover and we couldn’t be more excited to share them. You may remember that we whipped up this custom mood board for her a little over a month ago. Here’s the before picture to refresh your memory:

before-mood-board-makeover-picture-living-room

And here’s the mood board we whipped up for her (see more details here):

Here’s the lighter and brighter after thanks to a new furniture arrangement, a blue fireplace accent wall, breezy curtains, a punchy graphic rug, and a few fabulous accessories:

living-room-after-makeover-photo-beachy-blue

living-room-makeover-blayne-before-and-after-design-decorating-consultation1

We were especially inspired by Blayne’s request for a room that “feels beachy in the sense that you would feel like if you looked out the window you might see the ocean.” And this breezy bay of windows makes the room feel light and airy and oh so stunning. The fact that they’re $9.99 Ikea panels paired with some discount store bamboo blinds is the icing on the cake.

living-room-makeover-curtains

Here’s what Blayne had to say about her living room makeover:

“I was amazed at how much bigger and brighter it looks! And my husband loves it too. Yay! I was so excited to show it off that I invited some friends over last night. Everyone loved it. A few people who had never been over before commented that they loved the way the living room and bedroom were decorated (thanks John and Sherry!). I’m so happy to come home to this gorgeous room!” – Blayne

So what do you guys think? Didn’t Blayne do a steller job with her living room?! Oh and do you remember her bedroom makeover from a little while ago? It just feels so good to help such a lovely lady spiff up two of her rooms. Hooray for after pictures!

Update: We sadly can no longer find the time to take on client commissioned mood boards (we now whip up general inspiration boards instead) but if we ever reinstate them we’ll make a big announcement!

Comments

1. Jennifer says

It looks tons better! I like the rug, too, even though I don’t like pastels that much.

Where did she put that huge TV?

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Jennifer,

Good question! The TV moved over to the wall across from the sofa (on the opposite side of the room) so the room feels a lot lighter and more open since we spread things out a lot more (and strategically placed the big TV cabinet so it’s not the first thing that you see when you walk into the room). You can see the rest of the makeover details by clicking “this custom mood board” in the first paragraph which will take you back to our step-by-step plan that Blayne used to make over her space. Hope it helps!

Sherry

2. heather s. says

Looks great! Even though I read the moodboard when you first posted it I was hoping for pics of the wall with the tv as well to see how that looks. Are there white blinds on the windows as well or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Heather S,

The blinds are actually a tan colored bamboo, but since they’re so sheer and all that light is flooding in they look quite light in the picture. As for the TV wall, there are more pics and explanations on Blayne’s blog, so definitely feel free to check it out by clicking Blayne in the last paragraph to see the full monty over on her site (you have to scroll down a bit since the makeover is a few posts down). Hope it helps!

Sherry

• YoungHouseLove says

The slipper chair is the “Dolce Lounge Chair” from Target (we have two and love ’em and recommend them to anyone who will listen) and we’re not quite sure where the bamboo blinds are from (although we frequently recommend Walmart since they’re affordable and come in many styles and sizes). Hopefully Blayne will mosey on over here and confirm her source for the blinds!

Sherry

This makeover is lovely! It really suits my taste–I might have to copy some of this. :-)

My favorite accessory? The cat on the back of the couch. We have something similar–a dog that appears somewhere in every photo of the house I take.

this looks amazing. the room is so much brighter and the blue fireplace accent wall looks great. i have the same white ikea drapes and bamboo roman shades from target in my office and love them.

Oh my goodness I have that rug AND that Dolce lounge chair AND the same color walls AND a brown couch. Sadly my living room doesn’t look quite as spiffed up as this. Sigh…
    I’m getting there though. I think I just need more lighting and some stuff for the walls. I wonder where she got those side tables?