How To Make Feather Filled & Snow Capped Glass Ornaments

We’re so caught up in the Christmas spirit that we decided to try our hand at creating a few custom ornaments this year. Ornament decorating can be as complicated as you make it, but of course we wanted to tackle something easy and super cheap so we headed over to Michael’s and grabbed a six pack of empty glass ornaments ($2.49), some white glitter ($1.30), and a bag of feathers ($2.49). Then we pulled out our craft glue and got down to business.

It was really more of a trial and error process. We originally planned to stuff some of the ornaments chock full of feathers but realized less is more once we saw how sweet and simple one fluffy feather looked inside the glass orb (the silver top slips off for easy ornament filling). The result is delicate and delightful. And definitely worth the $1.04 per ornament that we spent.

We also used a q-tip to spread craft glue around the top of a few other ornaments, which we then coated in sparkling white glitter for that fresh & fluffy snow look that’s charming and kinda expensive looking actually:

The finishing touch was to use some thin white ribbon that we already had around the house to create classy little loops to hang each ornament from the tree with style. They actually look so elegant that we’re debating eliminating green wire ornament hangers altogether and adding thin white ribbon to each and every ornament on the tree. It really elevates them in a you’d-think-they-were-a-splurge-but-they-were-really-a-steal way.

So how do we like our feathered and glittered creations? They’re our new favorite ornaments! Not only because we made them ourselves, but because they actually look better than most of our store bought ones. And the entire project took just fifteen minutes and only cost a little over $5. Score! This whole ornament making thing just might become a family tradition…

Do you guys have any DIY ornament crafts that you happily take on each December? From cookie ornaments and popcorn garland to painted ceramic and felt creations, we’d love to know what you guys throw together when the Chritsmas spirit moves you.

For more DIY ornament ideas, check out Martha’s fabulous creations here and here.

1. Heather says

The feather ones are amazing!! SO beautiful and elegant. The glitter ones are pretty too but there’s an anti glitter rule in my house because a little bit of glitter goes a long way and I find Christmas glitter in the spring time.

Nicely done S

2. Laura says

I’ve done something similar on my tree with the same empty glass oraments. You can actually carefully remove the top and pour acrylic craft paint into the interior and swish it around. It looks especially nice with a combo of colours like white/silver… Just make sure to let one colour dry before you apply the second one.

3. christy says

We made ornaments the other weekend and there is now a no glitter rule in our house! ha But the cutest ones were strips of paper I cut and ran scissors along the strip to make it curly and put inside the clear ornament. It took some time and lots of strips but they are sooo pretty!

I always plant narcissus bulbs (like you showed everyone!!). I buy cheap clear glasses, fill em up with tiny pebbles, stick a bulb on top and watch them grow! I usually tie a beautiful ribbon or some raffia around the glass and take them as hostess gifts to holiday parties. All in all, each little live gift costs less than $1!!

5. Jenny says

These are beautiful. I am almost always disenchanted with what stores offer, and these are a great fresh take!
    Good job!

6. Molly says

We bought those clear ornaments last year and then stenciled a monogram on the front and gave a set of 4 out as gifts to our friends.

You can also spray adhesive to the inside of those clear ornaments and dump glitter into the inside. Then you swish it around in there until the whole inside is coated, and voila, a glitter encrusted ball that doesn’t get all over the place. They are beautiful in silver and turquoise.

I actually own extremely similar ornaments so I think you did a great job. changing the hangers to white ribbons sounds like something i might also be doing this year. my boyfriend will just love you for that idea :)

9. KK says

Love the feathers! Great idea!

My most FAVORITE ornaments are the ones my husband’s niece made us using those do-it-yourself ornaments. She printed photos of us in the snow on clear paper and then cut the photos into circles and put them inside the ornaments.

10. Ameleah says

I love your feather ornaments, so simple yet very cute. Kmart sells very inexpensive ribbon ornament hangers from the Martha Stewart collection that are pre-tied. I switched out the wire hangers on all my ornaments with the ribbon ones last year and it looks so much better!