Adding A Pinboard For Recipes Inside Your Kitchen Cabinet

Somebody put a cork in us, because we’re done with our latest swift and simple DIY project. We wanted to create a convenient little bulletin board in the kitchen to keep favorite recipes and meal ideas on hand (and on our mind- anything in a recipe book is so far out of sight that it’s immediately forgotten). But we also didn’t want our collection of clippings to clutter things up in the kitchen.

Our solution? A hidden pin board that we created in around ten minutes for under $5. And all we needed were a four-pack of cork tiles from Target (snagged for less than 5 clams) and a bunch of push pins (which we already had in our junk drawer). The cork tiles came with little self adhesive squares for easy hanging, so the entire process was fast and furious.

Here’s what we started with: a blank interior door, a pile of cork squares, and a stack of recipes and easy make ahead meals that we’re constantly forgetting about:

In minutes I had my first tile up on the door. Other than making sure that the cork square was super straight before sticking it on, this step was no sweat.

I decided I wanted a bit of space between the tiles, and determined just by holding them up that three squares would fit perfectly on the door with a little breathing room between ’em. Houston, we have a pin board.

Then I just got to work pinning up all of the forgotten recipes, meal ideas, and food related paraphernalia that we used to collect and neglect. Finally they have a proper place right in front of my face.

The result is an inspiration board of meal ideas and recipes that remind us of their presence every time we reach for the spices or the olive oil. I even see it in the morning when I’m making oatmeal so I have time to think about what we could have for dinner waaay ahead of time, which is actually a novel idea (no more forgetting to defrost things). And it’s also a great place to pin shopping lists or grocery store coupons so they’re all in one spot.

We even toyed with the idea of painting the inside of the opposite cabinet with chalkboard paint to create a message center for jotting down notes, reminders, and even shopping lists- but we actually wondered if the fumes from the paint were the best idea in such a contained space full of food (maybe there’s no VOC chalkboard paint, which would definitely make us reconsider).

But even without the chalkboard, you gotta love that the whole cork square project was easy, efficient, and super inexpensive. Plus it can be adapted to display anything from chore lists for your kids to extra curricular schedules that usually clutter up your fridge. Kitchen organization never tasted so good!

Comments

1. lindsey says

not related to cork but what are your favorite gifts to give for the holidays? I am sure you have wonderful gift ideas. happy early early holidays.

I wonder why I didn’t think of this. I’ve been trying to figure out where to put my corkboard/dry erase board in my kitchen as there isn’t really a good spot.

Along the same lines: I typed up a list on the computer and printed it out of all the phone numbers for the utility companies, etc, so we don’t have to go digging for them if we have a problem with the cable bill or the power goes out or whatever. I taped it to the inside of the cupboard by our main phone so they are just right there. On the inside of the other cupboard I hung one of those 3M removable adhesive hooks and hung our ring of “spare keys” on it, so when we need to unlock the gate to take the trash out or go get the mail, I don’t have to dig my “regular” keys out of my purse. Ooops, now everyone knows where the keys are for when they break into my house. :)

I love it , I do have chalk board paint on the inside of my cabinet door it works well and looks great , my understanding is that the paint I used is low VOC .

4. YoungHouseLove says

So glad you guys enjoyed this quick and simple lil’ project. We’re definitely using our recipes and even remembering to shop for the right ingredients these days so life is good. As for the cork squares loosing stickage, I can assure everyone that the type that we picked up were the floppy, light kind (not the rigid thicker kind) and those little adhesive squares are like liquid nails- they’re up there for life.

At Target there are a few different kinds of cork, so if it helps we snagged the cheapest 4-pack we saw (around $5 as opposed to a thicker option which was $8). And as for all the marker board and chalkboard comments, we’re actually finding that the pin board is sufficient for pinning up shopping lists and reminders thus far, so the message board might not even be necessary… but when it is, we’ll have a flurry of ideas- thanks guys!

xoxo,
    Sherry

p.s. Oh and Lindsey, we have about a million favorite gifts for the upcoming holiday season, so stay tuned for everything from DIY prezzies to cheap and fabulous finds for all!

LOVE this idea! I went home last night and told my husband about it and he was a huge fan as well. My fridge is so cluttered right now and since we’ll officially be home owners in exactly three weeks, this sounds a perfect first DIY project in the new house.

6. Christy says

I used Wallies repositionable chalk board (like contact paper) inside my cupoards to write my grocery list. Also hide my son’s school lunch menu inside the cupboard.

Love this idea! You can probably find pre-cut chalk boards (like the cork) and just stick it on the other side. This idea would be perfect for the inside of our pantry door, too!

Found via One Pretty Thing–I love this idea and I know it would work brilliantly for me as well.

This is going to sound stalker-strange, but I am a neighbor! I have long admired your house–I thought the trellis looked very deliberate, perfectly balanced, and I love the white pumpkins you put out for Halloween.

Internet design rockstars in my own ‘hood!