Adding A Pinboard For Recipes Inside Your Kitchen Cabinet

Somebody put a cork in us, because we’re done with our latest swift and simple DIY project. We wanted to create a convenient little bulletin board in the kitchen to keep favorite recipes and meal ideas on hand (and on our mind- anything in a recipe book is so far out of sight that it’s immediately forgotten). But we also didn’t want our collection of clippings to clutter things up in the kitchen.

Our solution? A hidden pin board that we created in around ten minutes for under $5. And all we needed were a four-pack of cork tiles from Target (snagged for less than 5 clams) and a bunch of push pins (which we already had in our junk drawer). The cork tiles came with little self adhesive squares for easy hanging, so the entire process was fast and furious.

Here’s what we started with: a blank interior door, a pile of cork squares, and a stack of recipes and easy make ahead meals that we’re constantly forgetting about:

In minutes I had my first tile up on the door. Other than making sure that the cork square was super straight before sticking it on, this step was no sweat.

I decided I wanted a bit of space between the tiles, and determined just by holding them up that three squares would fit perfectly on the door with a little breathing room between ’em. Houston, we have a pin board.

Then I just got to work pinning up all of the forgotten recipes, meal ideas, and food related paraphernalia that we used to collect and neglect. Finally they have a proper place right in front of my face.

The result is an inspiration board of meal ideas and recipes that remind us of their presence every time we reach for the spices or the olive oil. I even see it in the morning when I’m making oatmeal so I have time to think about what we could have for dinner waaay ahead of time, which is actually a novel idea (no more forgetting to defrost things). And it’s also a great place to pin shopping lists or grocery store coupons so they’re all in one spot.

We even toyed with the idea of painting the inside of the opposite cabinet with chalkboard paint to create a message center for jotting down notes, reminders, and even shopping lists- but we actually wondered if the fumes from the paint were the best idea in such a contained space full of food (maybe there’s no VOC chalkboard paint, which would definitely make us reconsider).

But even without the chalkboard, you gotta love that the whole cork square project was easy, efficient, and super inexpensive. Plus it can be adapted to display anything from chore lists for your kids to extra curricular schedules that usually clutter up your fridge. Kitchen organization never tasted so good!

fanTASTic. I will be doing this as soon as I get my hands on some cork tiles. No more list of meals for the week on the fridge. (Because I’m a total nerd and plan out every meal for a week before going to the store. Otherwise I end up forgetting items, or even better, forgetting how the items I got are supposed to go together.)

2. Holly says

I love it! I use these in my bathroom & closet for outfit ideas I find in magazines. I peruse while brushing my teeth in the morning to figure out what to wear!

3. Jessica says

After reading this post, I’ve already decided that I am going to get to work on this when I get home from work this evening. I have hand scribbled recipes, print outs, and magazine clippings that I don’t have anything to put them in. This is a perfect solution, and I love the idea of hiding it away! Thanks guys!

4. Melody says

Totally cute! Just beware falling tiles. I have those exact same corkboards from Target and the adhesive is, um, not so great. But I was hanging a bit heavier stuff, like a calendar, so this may be just fine.

5. Lori says

I had the same “falling tiles” problem. Let us know if yours hang on OK. My tiles came from Staples, but look the same as yours.

6. Kristen says

You could use a dry erase board and marker on the opposite door, fume free. I actually know some teachers who use shower tiles as dry erase boards in their classroom.

7. Barbara says

Along similar lines, one cupboard door has trash pick-up holidays, library hours, hours for my banks, recycling guide lines and hazardous waste collection guidelines. I’ve also used “Command hooks” to hang my 1/2 tsp and tsp measuring spoons inside the cupboard with my herbs and spices. Inside my pantry, I have more “Command clips” with my shopping lists for different stores.

So far, the paper stuff has been managed with tape but your cork boards look much better. Adding cork to my Target list.

8. Allison says

I agree with Kristen. A thin dry erase board board mounted inside looks pretty and you would not have to worry about dusty chalk residue getting into your food. Similar to dry erase board idea/shower tiles is The Write Plate. Instead of buying one of these pricey plates from that site, I went to TJ Maxx and found a large, square plate with similar edges to it for much less (it looks better without a ribbon on it anyway!). It sits in a book stand on my kitchen counter, but I am going to figure out a way to mount it to my neutral backsplash tiles.

9. Erin says

I’ve used these exact Target cork tiles for a similar project before – I covered 4 with some simple fabric and hung them in a horizontal row above my desk. Right now I’m using them to house postcards from my favorite travel destinations. I’m sort of painting that room so it’s in shambles right now, but I’ll send you a picture sometime! I love the idea of using these in your kitchen cabinets.

We’ve done this too, as I hate seeing ugly, but useful things like lists, calendars and reminders on fridges!!! Things like this, must be hidden away.

Also, the inside of our medicine cabinet is magnetic, so I leave reminders, “BEFORE WEIGHTLOSS PHOTOS” and other personal things.

I’ve done the same thing in our kitchen. One door has recipe ideas, one door has takeout menus and one door has family photos. It’s a great way to declutter the front of your fridge.

12. jbhat says

Just may have to do this too. You make a great case this helping to keep oneself out of a food preparation/ dinner idea rut.

Thanks, Youngsters!