Who Do You Think You Are?

No really, who are you people? You’re a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

To help answer that very question, we thought we’d use our blogiversary week to get to know you fine people a little bit better – who you are, why you read and how you think we can make Young House Love even better moving forward.

So if ever there was a time to comment, it’s now.  Please – no, pretty please – take two minutes to answer the questions below.  And if you’ve never commented before or are unsure how, it’s easy.  Just click the number in that green speech bubble to the right of this post’s title and scroll to the bottom of the page. Real names and e-mail addresses aren’t required so the pressure is off. And if you’re still too shy, feel free to e-mail your answers to youngsters@younghouselove.com.

And since we’re already stealing a page from Decorno’s book by doing this poll in the first place, we promise to recap all of your comments at the end of the week, a la her State of the Blog Address. So here we go with the asking of the questions:

1. Who are you? Male/Female? Age? Location? Marital status? Any kids?
  2. How often do you read Young House Love? (Daily? Once a week? Whenever you have free time at work?)
  3. How do you prefer to view Young House Love? (On younghouselove.com? Through an RSS reader like Google or Bloglines?)
  4. What are your favorite types of posts & why? (Easy DIY ideas? Before & after pictures? Design Dilemmas? Major home improvement undertakings?)
  5. What are your other must-read blogs? (If you have one of your own, feel free to plug it right here!)
  8. Anything else you want us to know, or just gotta share with the world?

Thanks again for your time! And have we told you that you look lovely today? Because you do.

Comments

Who are you? Female, Savannah, Recently married, no kids (Unless you count 2 dogs!)
    How often do you read Young House Love? Daily!
    How do you prefer to view Young House Love? Mostly on RSS, but I usually click over anyway
    What are your favorite types of posts & why? All of the above! But I do like the Design Dilemmas because its like a one-stop shop for decor!
    What are your other must-read blogs? Dooce, I *heart* You, Design*sponge, and of course, my own!
    What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2? Can’t think of any!
    And, for fun, what’s one change you would make to your house (assuming time and money were no object)? Put in bamboo floors throughout, repaint (its the effort, really), renovate the back patio (the list goes on…)

2. Julie says

Who are you? Female, 29,Michigan, Single, no kids.
    How often do you read Young House Love? Daily at work – thanks for the break!
    How do you prefer to view Young House Love? On younghouselove.com.
    What are your favorite types of posts & why? Love the before and after pics and DIY ideas- very inspiring. Also love the Design Dilemmas for great shopping ideas. And the wedding crashing is just fun in a voyeuristic sort of way!
    What are your other must-read blogs? Making It Lovely
    What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2? More of the same, please! It’s great!
    And, for fun, what’s one change you would make to your house? Complete remodel of the bathroom – pink tub, pink sink (with built-in white/gold swirled looking vanity)and pink toilet. Yes, I saw your advice recently for a pink bathroom upgrade, but I’m afraid mine’s too far gone!
    Anything else you want us to know, or just gotta share with the world? I’m a new homeowner (as of May) so it’s been fun to watch your transformations as I’m sloooowly progressing on my own!

3. Casie says

Who are you? Female/28/Alabama/Married with 1 doggy
    How often do you read Young House Love? Daily
    How do you prefer to view Young House Love? on younghouselove.com
    What are your favorite types of posts & why? All of the posts are awesome, yet I love the before and afters. I get so much inspiration from these. Plus a little works goes a long way.
    What are your other must-read blogs? To many to list

What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2? The site is fabulous as is, yet you might add some contests. The prize could be something small, like some of your artwork. You could do best before and afters/best living rooms/outdoor areas, etc.
    And, for fun, what’s one change you would make to your house OOO I’ve got a list a mile long. Bamboo flooring/finish off the basement/expand the deck.
    Anything else you want us to know, or just gotta share with the world? You guys are doing an awesome job, keep it up.

4. Stephenie says

Who are you? Male/Female? Age? Location? Marital status? Any kids?
    Female- 37, Des Moines IA, married with 2 children and 2 big dogs

Every single day! I mostly read it at work on my lunch hour.

How do you prefer to view Young House Love? (On younghouselove.com? Through an RSS feed reader?)
    I like your website.

Of course the before and afters. They are so inspiring even to the people that didn’t write in. I’ve taken so many of your ideas and put them into place in my house.

Chez Larsson is a favorite and Door Sixteen.

What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2?
    Maybe more small DIY projects with a green twist.

A new and awesome patio and backyard!

Anything else you want us to know, or just gotta share with the world?
    Your enthusiasm has turned me into a decorating/organizing junkie.

1. Who are you? Married female, 27, no kids yet, Pittsburgh, PA
    2. How often do you read Young House Love? I now check daily
    3. How do you prefer to view Young House Love? I read on the website
    4. What are your favorite types of posts & why? I started reading this site because of your wedding album and became obsessed with your idea to put mint lemonade in recycled wine bottles! I’m totally copying that for a party I am having soon. I love little crafty ideas that I get from your posts.
    5. What are your other must-read blogs? I read http://www.dooce.com every day, but I also have my own: http://katycorey.blogspot.com
    6. What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2? I guess I am interested in seeing more of the same great stuff you do now
    7. And, for fun, what’s one change you would make to your house (assuming time and money were no object)? That’s easy! New driveway/sidewalk and we’d get the bricks acid washed and repointed so we don’t look like the crumbling crappy house on the street of snazzy brick.

6. Katie says

Who are you? Male/Female? Age? Location? Marital status? Any kids?
    Female / 28 / Chicagoland / Married / 10 month old son

Multiple times a day!

Design Dilemmas, before & after because they provide great ideas and show you how just a few changes to a room can make a huge difference

Making it Lovely, I *Heart* You, Money Saving Mom, Life in Motion Photography, Matt, Liz, Madeline, DecorPad, Storked!

What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2?
    I love the “green” posts; help with accessorizing existing rooms that don’t need a major overhaul

Extend the back wall of the house out about 8 feet to make our living room and kitchen bigger

Anything else you want us to know, or just gotta share with the world?
    I can’t believe your blog is only a year old. It is so “established” for being around for such a short amount of time!

7. Becca says

1. Female, Becca, 25, Texas, Married, 1 dog.
    2. I just recently found your site and now I read it daily!
    3. I don’t know what an RSS feed reader is, if that helps.
    4. I love the DIY and before and afters.. currently I don’t own, but I love dreaming of what my future house could become!
    5. I have a lot of must-reads!
    6. I would be interested to see some more of your ideas incoporating more color. I love your neutral palette, but know that it wouldn’t work for my husband and I.
    7. If I could, I would put hardwood floors throughout! I hate wall-to-wall carpet!

Who are you? Male/Female? Female
    Age? 27
    Location? Atlanta, GA
    Marital status? Married
    Any kids? Nope
    How often do you read Young House Love? Free time
    How do you prefer to view Young House Love? RSS through Google Reader
    What are your favorite types of posts & why? Easy DIY ideas
    What are your other must-read blogs? swissmiss, i suwanee, girl in the green dress, design*sponge,
    What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2? how-to posts?
    And, for fun, what’s one change you would make to your house (assuming time and money were no object)? make bathroom more interesting/less builder-esque
    Anything else you want us to know, or just gotta share with the world? congrats on 1 year

1. Female, 23, Iowa, Married with one dog, no kids yet. :)

2. I read Young House Love daily.

3. I prefer to read Young House Love at younghouselovelove.com because I like the layout, etc. but I usually end up reading it through GoogleReader along with my other blogs just because it’s easier.

4. My favorite types of posts are diy ideas and before & after pictures. I also love seeing new areas around your house and the little updates that you do. And also any cheap home furnishings that you find!

5. I have a ton of other must-read blogs, so I will just post mine. :) http://chelseaandbrian.blogspot.com

6.I love Young House Love just the way it is now! But I would love to see more little ideas– just the little tips & tricks that you do to spruce up a room.

7. If money were no object, my home would get some serious overhauling on the outside– new roof, new siding, front porch- needs some major curb appeal.

8. Come and fix up my house!! :)

10. Christie says

Who are you? Male/Female? Age? Location? Marital status? Any kids?
    Female, 27, Allendale, MI, Married, 1 daughter, one on the way

I just found you 2 days ago, but it’s daily already!

on the .com

The before & afters are always awesome to see what can happen, even with a little paint. I also enjoy the DIY projects as I’m a DIY junkie if I can help it (and have time!)

Too many ranging from family and friends, to mommy stuff, photography, organizing and decorating – I sometimes get info and idea overload but I love it! Design Sponge, Simple Notebook, Simple Mom, Soule Mama

What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2?
    So far, it’s been great to see your past posts and all the information you provide. DIY projects are always something fun to read and file away for future use

Finish our basement to accomodate a studio/craft space… hopefully sooner than later :)

Anything else you want us to know, or just gotta share with the world?
    I found your blog/site when looking to vote for another site on Divine Caroline and with you guys seemingly around my age, thought it was be interesting to see what it was all about. I loved seeing your DIY wedding – I got married 5 years ago and all the ideas I’ve found since then, I’d do it all over again (the stuff, not the day of course!). You both have a great sense of color and design that’s affordable. You’re in my favorites and will keep on getting inspired!

Delurking to answer the survey!

I’m RA, a married gal from southeastern Pennsylvania. We are kidless, but we have a Westie named Ted. I read Young House Love via my feed reader whenever the posts pop up, and I occasionally click through if a mood board appeals to me. Generally, I lurk. I enjoy the how-to posts the most, but I am mostly green with envy because I always feel like we are too underskilled and underfunded to make a cool difference.

I’m not a total foodie, but my must-read blogs include Smitten Kitchen (http://www.smittenkitchen.com/) and Orangette (http://orangette.blogspot.com/). I also kind of like mine, too.

I don’t think I have any advice for you regarding the site… but I am always available for editorial help, if you ever need it! :)

If money were no object, I would renovate our kitchen, including knocking out a small wall. The lack of continuous counter space is driving me bananas. I would also like a two-tier deck. After we do the kitchen.

12. Paige says

Who are you? Male/Female? Female
    Age? 29
    Location? Birmingham, AL
    Marital status? Single
    Any kids? Nope
    How often do you read Young House Love? Daily
    How do you prefer to view Young House Love? RSS through Google Reader
    What are your favorite types of posts & why? Before and After, and the mood boards. I love seeing the great bargains you guys find.
    What are your other must-read blogs? I Heart You, The BLog (Urban Grace), In(Side) the Loop, Decorno
    What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2? more of the same
    And, for fun, what’s one change you would make to your house (assuming time and money were no object)? Tear down a mirrored wall in my dining room

13. Rachel says

1. Female, 25, Orlando, FL, Married, no kids

2. I read Young House Love throughout the day from work. (it’s a very dull job)
    3. I use Google Reader
    4. I love the DIY ideas and when you do big stuff! we have a small apartment right now, but there’s still lots of ideas I can borrow.
    5. Chez Larsson (in fact, you recently had a photo of her laundry room), Bakerella & Unclutterer
    6. I just adore it right now! But I’m always happy for more ideas I can use.
    7. It would be in California. I’ve had enough of Florida!

Who are you? Female, 24, Illinois, Newlywed, 2 pugs
    How often do you read Young House Love? When it pops up on my google reader
    How do you prefer to view Young House Love? See above. Google Reader is God-sent
    What are your favorite types of posts & why? I prefer your DIY examples
    What are your other must-read blogs? too many to list – I read blogs from newlyweds, renovators and flippers and decor blogs mainly
    What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2? I think that features on where certain items in your house were purchased would be great – always great to find new budget stores (and non-budget stores). I also think that reader moodboards would be greatin addition to yours – for a little variety. I always like to see different styles and opinions on the same thing.
    And, for fun, what’s one change you would make to your house (assuming time and money were no object)? I would add on more room in our teensy tiny living room and kitchen, put on a sunroom and develop larger closets (time, money and rationality are no objects)

15. Sarah says

Who are you? Male/Female? female
    Age? 26
    Location? Omaha, NE
    Marital status? married (3 years in October)
    Any kids? other than our dog Oscar, nope!
    How often do you read Young House Love? (Daily? Once a week? Whenever you have free time at work?) Whenever a new post pops up on google reader!
    How do you prefer to view Young House Love? (On younghouselove.com? Through an RSS reader like Google or Bloglines?) google reader, although I often click out of it onto the actual blog to explore around
    What are your favorite types of posts & why? (Easy DIY ideas? Before & after pictures? Design Dilemmas? Major home improvement undertakings?) Before & after photos, because they can be so inspiring….along with solutions for the design dilemmas
    What are your other must-read blogs? (If you have one of your own, feel free to plug it right here!) Well, I’ll plug my own mind-numbingly boring and random blog (simplylivingsarah.blogspot.com), and I read far too many others – Newlywedisms by Bryn, What I Wore, Matt Logelin’s blog, The Simple Dollar, Get Rich Slowly, Eddie Ross’s blog…..
    What advice do you have for us to make Young House Love even better in year #2? I would love to see more furniture arrangement suggestions for various types of rooms – we have a living room with a bay window and a bit of a difficult configuration. We also live in a 1.5-story Cape Cod, so designing around the 2nd floor’s sloped ceilings is a challenge. I often need to see an arrangement with the exact same floor plan as ours to be able to execute it properly.
    And, for fun, what’s one change you would make to your house (assuming time and money were no object)? I would love to expand our bathroom upstairs into an actual master (it’s just a 3/4 bath with one sink, and the other upstairs bedroom has to share it as well).
    Anything else you want us to know, or just gotta share with the world? Ummm….I can’t whistle