Pentagons, Polyhedrons, Hexes & X-es

Things are moving at warp speed these days at the Homearama Showhouse, so we have tons of updates to share since last week (especially since more fixtures, cabinets, and counters are now officially installed). Let’s start on the front porch, where the centerpiece of our rustic, vaulted ceiling has been added. It’s from Restoration Hardware, so it was definitely a splurge (our team joined their trade program to save 20%) but we think it’s an awesome thing to see up there before stepping into the house for the first time.

As we snapped these photos yesterday, they were just beginning to pull up the protective floor coverings, but the hardwoods were still really dusty (they’re putting a final sealant coat on them today – so we’re all banned from the house). Dust and all, this picture captures that pretty wall of windows and doors at the back of the living room that leads out the covered porch.

Even though the kitchen is still a work in progress – literally, you can see the vent hood getting installed below – we couldn’t resist sharing a wider shot of the navy island with those brass accordion fixtures that we shared last week above it (the island is Hale Navy by Ben Moore, the same color as the fireplace column across the room, which you see in the shot above). Speaking of the island, the builder made one a bit smaller than this in his last house and everyone’s feedback was “go bigger!” – so by jove he did. We can’t wait to get four stools in there to fill things out.

It was cool to see things come together that we had only seen in showrooms and vendor booklets months ago when we chose them. Like these glass x-fronted doors that flank the range hood. We didn’t do any open shelving in this kitchen, but thought it would be a nice touch to add a few cabinets where someone could display their nice dishes, bowls, and glasses.

To the left of the kitchen is the breakfast nook, which has been quite the adventure to accomplish. Carpenter John (not to be confused with Builder John or me, Blogger John) did us a solid in making this space cozier after it ended up being bigger/wider than we all originally planned (other considerations like how things lined up in the kitchen and how things looked from the back of the house inched it up from our initial dimensions). There’s still a big table to be constructed and plenty of shelves to be filled, but it’s getting there – especially now that the silver dome light (donated by Shades of Light) is in.

Just one wall away from the breakfast nook is the pantry. Excuse me, I mean walk-in pantry. It has me and Sherry green with envy. Is it wrong that we kinda want to fill it with candy like the store in the opening of Willy Wonka? The prism flushmount light is also from Shades of Light. It’s made of up pentagons, but we like to pretend they’re hexagons so it’s kind of a nod to our bee love.

I probably shouldn’t force the hex thing there, since the carpet that we chose for the boy’s room has actual hexagons in it. We thought it’d be fun to do something a little different than plain carpet (we have hardwoods throughout the house except for the two kids rooms and the guest room), so this Revere pattern by Stanton (selected at a local place called ProSource) seemed fun without being too crazy. And as you can see, the installation was also in progress when we were there yesterday.

Now on to the master bathroom, which is a bit of a mess at the moment, but still manages to get us excited. We’re taking this as our chance to do that luxe & light, hotel-like bathroom that I’m not sure we’ll ever have the space to execute in our own home. So we’ve chosen lots of tone-on-tone whites and grays with a few unexpected hits of color – some of which we’ll reveal today, and some that’ll come in later with art/accessories. Of course we went for a big freestanding tub that’s probably a pipe dream (plumbing pun!) for our own master bathroom. You should see Sherry look at this thing lustily.

Since we couldn’t just leave the room totally colorless, we did a nice big plane of spa-like color on the back wall of the shower, which is still semi-floorless, totally doorless, and inexplicably has a mirror leaning in it at the moment.

Those bluey-green glass tiles are this 3 x 12″ New Haven tile and the sides are 3 x 6″ white subway tiles, both donated by The Tile Shop. Here’s a shot from back in December (!!) when we picked it out. The shower flooring is the one in the background of this tile shot, which is their Evanston series in Frost Snow. The little glass squares mixed with marble help tie everything in the room together.

In the interest of trying to take some risks in the name of a good show and stretch outside of our comfort zone, we resisted the urge to go with all-white marble for the vanity counters, and selected something a little less common (it has soft seaglass colored veins, which tie into the shower tiles). All of the fixtures are polished chrome, including the glass chandelier from Shades of Light, and the sink faucets and shower trim were donated by Brizo (Delta donated the tub filler).

Across from the bathroom is the master closet, which is another jealousy inducing space for the lady-wife. We gave the carpenter a couple of suggestions, but pretty much just let him do his thing. The layout is hard to wrap your head around, so this post with a floor plan might help (there’s a his and hers area with a storage-saturated divider).

He packed it with awesome features like this angled shoe rack that’s sure to get all the Charlotte Bradshaws out there excited. No wait, Carrie Bradshaw. Oh geez, I’m such a Miranda.

The last space we’ll share today is a peek at the shower in the jack-and-jill bathroom (this is the same kids room that has the green vanity in the adjacent sink area that we shared last week). We planned on taking a bunch of panned out shots of the whole room for you, but a headboard that’s waiting to be painted for the girls bedroom is actually sitting in the middle of the bathroom, along with a spare toilet – so we just couldn’t get those shots yesterday. But check out that shower tile! We chose two different types of colored glass subway tiles and had the tile guy (surprisingly not named John) install them in fat, 12″-ish stripes up the wall.

We picked these at The Tile Shop by laying out a few different combinations, including a frost white &  gloss white version, a gray & white version, a green & white version, and a blue & gray version. Ultimately we picked the combination in the upper right corner of this picture, which is Snow Glass and Glass Winter.

And last but not least, since we wanted to have some fun in the kids bathroom, we went for this cool Moxie showerhead (donated by Kohler). It has a waterproof bluetooth speaker in it that stays in place magnetically, while the shower still sprays water around it. Somewhere my high school self is feeling quite embarrassed by the shower radio with spotty reception that I was addicted to at the time.

We’re scheduled to begin moving furniture in next week, so hopefully the next update we have for you will have this place looking even more like home. We’re supposed to have the whole place furnished and decorated by early April, so consider us completely 100% freaked out by this. Cue the cold sweats!

PS: For those asking about Homearama tickets, they’re usually $10 (children 18 & under are free) but you can get them for 20% off (and show some love to Habitat if you’re so inclined) here. The show is open Thurs-Sun, the first three weekends of May.

Comments

1. Erin says

It is starting to look absolutely incredible. How fantastic! I’m so excited to see the final product… you guys should be insanely proud of all your hard work and how beautifully it’s turning out!

2. Michelle says

It’s really coming together! I am in love with the pendants over the island. Amazing choice! Congrats!

3. Sarah says

How much are they listing this house for?! I might have to move to Virginia! The house looks amazing!! Great Job!

Thanks Sarah! It’s going to be in the 500s I think. These showhouses definitely are “fully loaded” for the event, so the prices tend to reflect that (one of the houses is going to be in the 900s I think! It has a pool!).

xo

• Anita says

Only $500K!! Holy crap, I want to move to Richmond. We live in Arlington and $500K would buy us a teardown or a one bedroom condo :(

• lauren says

Oh that makes more sense. I thought this was basically a charity house for a low-income family, and I was like “Hmmmmm it seems like you could house several families in several houses if you cut back on all the high-end stuff here!”

So they’re selling it as a fundraiser? It looks freaking awesome. LOVE that breakfast nook!!!

Yes, we’re donating our design fee to Habitat, a portion of ticket sales and vendors working with the show are also donating to Habitat, and our builder is giving them a bunch of money from the sale of the house as well. So excited to have such a great cause to hustle for :)

xo

• lauren says

Ohhhhh I just read the first post about the showhouse and I get it now. Very cool of you guys to donate your fee to Habitat!

• heather says

This totally shows how prices vary around the country and even within one state. There’s a 5900 square foot home nearish us with almost 10 acres for about $575,000! It would easily go for multiple million in the southern area of the state though, and other areas of N.E. Yet, my husband and I found a house in the mountains which included a huge huge barn, gorgeous gardens, stunning views, 40+ acres, another couple rustic outbuildings and structure for a farm….and it was like $250,000. Whew!

• heather says

((^^Note: I accidently deleted where it say the house we found was too remote to actually commute to a viable job. Location location location!))

oh my…. that light on the front porch…. *swoon* i’m totally digging those brass pendants above the island… it’s coming along great. can’t wait to see the final product! great job, guys!

Wow!!! Those lights! That bathroom! Everything is looking amazing, love the updates.

I didn’t get to comment on the last few posts, so a belated congratulations on the Target line! I’m in need of some hooks for our front entry and am definitely looking to purchase yours. So excited for you guys!

6. Barbara says

Ooh, how drool inducing! I love the master bath and the office. Can’t wait to see your selection of furnishings.

Oh my goodness EVERYTHING IN THIS HOUSE makes me drool.
    The colours, the fixtures.. Your taste is impeccable.
    I couldn’t do it – I’d want to move in!!

I don’t think you’ve ever chosen something that I haven’t absolutely loved.

I’m over here doing my meagre home renovation and then I look at this and want to give up.. HAHAHA!

I will keep plugging away on my own over here! xo
    MB

8. Karen Little says

Wow, love all the great things you’ve chosen for the show house! You’ve tied it all together in a beautiful house. Can’t wait to visit it with my daughter-in-law who lives just minutes away from it.I’ll come in from Williamsburg and we’ll have some “girl-time” there. Love this!

That angled shoe rack is screaming for a subtle tonal ombre effect!! This house is gorgeous I love all the lighting. You will get it all done, you two are amazing!

We had the same reaction to the photos and wondered why! In person they stand out a lot more (there’s such a difference between 2D and 3D) but then we realized it’s the glare from the lights reflecting in the glass of the cabinets in photos (which is amplified in photos). After talking to the electrician he said he had brighter bulbs than we needed in them, so we think if we go down to the recommended wattage (and shoot them off for you guys, which is typically how we shoot all rooms so the glare doesn’t mess with the pics) it’ll be a truer depiction. Hope we can do them justice!

-John

• Jackie says

I agree – so I’m glad to see this comment and response. I’m looking forward to seeing better photos of the kitchen. I can tell that it’s probably very beautiful – but the wide shot makes the kitchen look small, imbalanced, and busy with the light fixture and glass door – also the paint colors look completely different than the hale navy on the fireplace photo and the gray of the uppers in the close up cabinet picture. I can’t wait to see the pictures that show how carefully I know you designed the space :)

Also, for the up close image of the gray cabinets – the doors really do look great – I love the detail you picked. The way the color comes through in this image seems like it might be more true-to-life? For some reason though, the depth of the counters seem more shallow than average – I doubt that’s the case though and I don’t know why it’s reading that way to me.

Sorry for the random feedback! Just figured I’d supply my observations.

PS – the master bath is stunning. The fixtures, lighting, materials, and palette is truly beautiful. I love absolutely everything about it. Well done.
      Best,
      Jackie

Thanks Jackie! We definitely run around there amid the chaos (hood-being-put-up, carpet-being-laid, dusty-floors, etc) and snap what we can – but we can’t wait until they “deliver” the house to us, which means it’s all clean and finished being “installed” – then we can hopefully take much more accurate pics! The counters are standard depth, the kitchen is HUGE (that island is 11′ wide for reference – I think the average one is around 5′) and the fireplace and island are exactly the same paint color, it’s just the varied lighting (on in the kitchen, off in the living room) that’s messing with things we think ;)

xo

• Jessica says

Yes. While I love many elements of the house, this one really bothers me. I wish that either the cabinet doors or the light fixtures were plain. Both are gorgeous on their own, but they are competing. I’m glad to hear that it looks better in person. Also, I love the navy island. I think the cabinets would look FABULOUS in white. I know, you wanted to go outside your usual, but I’m not digging the gray in this particular set up. This is one place that white cabinets really seem right. The breakfast nook looks darling. How will the homeowner dust those shelves? I guess they’ll climb over the table/benches? All in all, I really like the house. These are just the things that made me wonder.

10. Olivia says

Oooooh. That colour behind the fireplace! I love it! Can I ask for the name? Thank you so much, you guys are doing a great job!!!

• Olivia says

Thank you very much Sherry! I thought it might be the same as the island, but it’s hard to judge from photos. Keep up the great work and thank you again for taking the time to tell me the colour! xx Olivia

I would live in this house. It is so beautiful! And all the built-ins and storage! That pantry and master closet are amazing. Not sure how I feel about a door-less shower, but that one is already about 3x the size of ours, so I probably wouldn’t complain too much. :)

Oh yes, the doors are coming – they’re just not in yet (the floor will also get finished with the rest of the tile, and that mirror is coming out).

xo

• Larissa says

Wait! Maybe that could be a thing. Mirrors in the shower. A design trend inititated by YHL. Then, 30 years from now, people will be wondering who the heck thought of that while they’re trying to figure out how to get the mirrors out of their showers.

The house looks gorgeous! Can’t wait to see more!