Curtain Call

Yup, we finally called it. The old floral curtains couldn’t last another day. So we made a few jokes about Kim Kardashian’s Met ball dress and got ready to say goodbye.

They looked pretty fancy, but they just weren’t our style, so it was time to take them down and make a nice little donate pile for Habitat for Humanity. The funny thing is that when we got up on chairs and lifted them down, we discovered that these babies were pinned and even screwed right into the window at times! Cracked us up. I mean, we’re no strangers to using fabric remnants and wood braces screwed into windowsills, but seeing white pushpins sticking out of the blue molding was pretty unexpected. Gotta love those “make it work” DIY moments…

The most surprising part of Mission Remove Dem Curtains was… the time it took to remove dem! Thanks to the screws and pins (there were straight pins, safety pins, and even tacks and twine attaching them to windows, trim, and even themselves) it was a somewhat slow process full of “how is this thing still clinging to the window?!”

Finally, about an hour spent running around with the screwdriver and hammer (to be sure we popped out every last nail and screw so all the windows are ready for spackle and eventual paint) we were left with this pile:

And this pretty impressive collection of tacks, nails, screws, and pushpins:

And even though the curtains were riddled with tacks (and a fair amount of dust) I did this. Because I just can’t control myself.

My favorite touch was the curtain rod turned scepter. All hail Curtains McFlower.

Now that they’re down, more light is streaming in and each of those four rooms feel a little more like us. We’re dreaming of a nice swanky layered look for the curtains in our new house. Perhaps bamboo blinds with curtains hung high and wide over them? Sort of like this. Or this. Or this. Except not necessarily with plain white or cream curtains.

Oh happy day. It’s the little things. Playing dress up never hurts either…

Psst- We announced this week’s giveaway winner. Click here to see if it’s you.

Comments

Oh wow…the 80’s will appreciate having their curtains back! Were there any Home Interiors brass cat tails left on the wall for you? :)

I cracked up at the makeshift dress/scepter. It reminded me of when the Cowardly Lion dressed up in the rug and flower pot in the Wizard of Oz!

2. LINDSAY says

Sherry you totally rocked the curtain dress! (way better than nasty Kim K). I find it funny there is more blue trim on the main level. The previous owners clearly only owned 1 shade of paint.

So crazy what a huge difference that just taking the curtains down made! I can’t wait to see what you guys pick out for the new window treatments! xx Liz Marie

4. Leigh Anne says

Ya look better than Kim K. Is that curtain ;-) definitely an improvement to those rooms. I guess the previous homeowners didn’t want those curtains going anywhere?! Maybe they had cats? Wild kids? Lol

5. kate says

The pic of Sherry in her floral “gown” totally made my morning. All hail, goddess of curtains!

6. JenB says

Doesn’t that wallpaper in the kitchen/dining area take you back to 9th grade math & make you wanna draw a graph??

I can’t believe how much better it already looks just by taking the curtains down! All hail, Curtains McFlower!

7. Cassie says

Oh my!

I can’t do it because I’m on my iPad, but someone needs to make a “who wore it better” with Sherry and Kim Kardashian for us to spread all over Pinterest and the rest of the Internet world!

WOOT! Bye bye yucky curtains. I was wondering how long it would take Sherry to pull those babies down. I don’t know if this is a compliment or not, but Sherry looks better in the nasty curtains than Kim in her Givenchy gown.

9. Kate says

Can you please, please, please dress up like Daenerys Targaryen for Halloween this year? And John can be Sir Jorah Mormont and Clara can be a dragon. Seriously. That above pic is begging for you to take the next step with your costuming.

Mmmm… look at that beautiful light streaming in those big, unincumbered windows! Amazing.
    Almost as amazing as Sherry’s (Gone With the Wind? or Sound of Music?) inspired curtain gown. Love it.

• Kathryn says

Dude! I had completely forgotten the cinematic pedigree that curtain dresses have! Reminds me of Carol Burnett’s classic comedic take on the Gone With the Wind dress where she leaves the curtain rod in.

• Mia says

Carol Burnett and Gone with the Wind–What a classic! For those too young,she made a dress from the drapery and left the rod in. It ran along her shoulders and protruded on either side.