The Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge

The day has finally come! It’s about to get thrifty up in hurrrr. Here’s the deal. This “Challenge” – which we issued last Friday – was basically an excuse to all (virtually) go thrift shopping together and share our spoils. Plus there was a scavenger-hunt-ish element tossed in there for kicks. And just like our little Pinterest Challenges, if you guys wanted to partake and blog about it, we have a little linky thing at the bottom of this post so everyone can share their favorite finds.

There were just THREE things we asked folks to do in order to play along (well, four if you count blogging about it, although of course you can play along even if you don’t have a blog).

Step #1. Go to a thrift shop with – just as the chorus of the song says – “$20 in your pocket” and take a picture.

Step #2 was to spend your $20 any way you’d like and photograph your spoils. They could be home related, fashion oriented, kid focused, anything. And you didn’t need to make them over or repurpose them at all (although that’s totally allowed too!). So here’s the part where we’ll share what our 20 spot scored us:

• A nice solid wooden doll’s cradle: $11
  • A woven doll’s chair: $5
  • An Aladdin book that Clara picked out herself: 65 cents
  • A wooden flower wall hanging: $1
  • Total: $17.65

And here’s what I did to the little wooden wall hanging. I just painted it white and added it to Clara’s frame wall (two small finish nails are holding it up).

I have big plans to spray paint the chair (glossy red I think…) but I haven’t gotten there yet. Thankfully it’s still a big hit among all the dolls, even in its current state.

The cradle is the big winner of the group. Clara is having the time. of. her. life with it. She likes to tuck her dolls in. So first comes the hug…

… then the kiss…

… then they get snuggled under the blanket…

… and they get another kiss just for good measure…

Pretty much the cutest thing ever. Oh but I also have plans for the cradle. I want to prime and paint it a bright color (yellow?), sew a cushion for the bottom, and maybe even make a little quilt like Clara’s for her dolls (remember this one I made for her with her weekly fabric?). Dude, I’m even thinking about how cute a little fabric banner (like this, only mini) to drape over the head of the crib would be. Yeah, $herdog is about to pimp this cradle. Big time.

In the meantime Clara is definitely having a good time with it as-is. She’s really into being the mommy and calling her dolls her babies, so rocking them and tucking them in is up there with changing their diapers on her list of favorite things to do (also, Burger is sometimes her baby – but he has successfully avoided the cradle and any diaper changes thus far).

Oh yeah, and we can’t forget the last step…

Step #3: Find a pirate ship bed. And lose your freaking mind over it. (Seriously it was amazing).

Just kidding.

Step #3. Find one item (or more) referenced in the song and snap a pic. Here’s the scaveger-hunt-ish element that we tossed in because we’re weirdos. And you get bonus points for doing something ridiculous with the item in the photo. After all, Macklemore has some pretty great confidence when he’s rocking those footy pajamas.

Now here’s the part where we tip our matted faux-fur thrift store hats to you guys and invite you to share all of the fun Macklemore Thrift Shop finds that you’ve dug up in the last week (right along with us, well at least virtually with us). If you’ve already blogged about it, just:

1. click on the blue “Add Your Link” button with the odd cartoon head at the bottom of this post (you might have to do some scrolling, depending how many projects are added)
  2. add a link to your specific blog post about your project in the url field (not your home page)
  3. where it says “name” write a short description of your bounty (ex: “Big A$$ Frame” or “Best Purse Ever” or “Kitchen Stuff”) as opposed to your actual name
  4. we’d also love if you could quickly link back over to this page so it’s a nice two-way link-fest (feel free to use our Macklemore Thrift Shop banner too!).

And if you’d rather just link over to your project in the comment section of this post, feel free to do that – or even add a link to a free photo sharing site like Flickr with your pics if you don’t have a blog (remember to set the gallery to public so we can all see it). We’re crazypants excited to see what you guys have hunted down!

I wasn’t able to do the challenge but I did learn that I shouldn’t read YHL while nursing. My poor child was dead asleep and I had the hardest time controlling my laughter when I scrolled down to that picture of John. So funny.

Such a fun challenge! Thanks!! OK, need you help. Newbie here accidentally linked to my blogger edit page! How do I delete my link from your party? I’ll re-add. So wet behind the ears.

3. Becky S. says

Did you guys change your photo service? Today is the first day that all the pictures are showing up as red X’s! Oh no!

Oh no! Nope, nothing has changed on our end, but on rare occasions the Amazon servers we use have brief regional outages so hopefully they come back quickly. So sorry!

I went thrifting last Friday but didn’t have time to buy anything, while we were at the store my Aunt fell off and broke her wrist so I had to spent the weekend at the hospital with her =(

Great findings! I still have to watch the video and I can’t wait to check out what the others found!

5. Julie says

This was so much fun! I only spent $9.14 of my $20.00, but I scored three books for my classroom library, a shotglass, a large silver penguin (he’s adorable), and a funky white candy dish/candle holder that I am going to plant some succulents in. I don’t have a blog, so you can see my picture here
    Thank you for such a great challenge!

Haha that pirate ship bed is AMAZING. Who makes that stuff!?

Also, growing up, we had a human-sized version of that doll chair you guys took home. It was deemed the “Birthday Girl Chair” and for all of my sister and my birthday parties at home, the birthday girl got to sit in it (after it was obviously decorated in pink streamers).

7. Kristen Swift says

I didn’t get to participate by the deadline, but I’m hoping to hit up some thrift stores this weekend to see what I can score for $20. Love that you guys did a challenge that revolves around my favorite song :)

And Oh My Goodness that pirate bed! I’m considering making the trip to RVA to complete the challenge and buy that bed. I don’t know where we’d put it, but it’s almost too awesome to pass up.

OK, mine looks dumb bc the thumbnail I picked is totally different from the description I wrote. But I got a vintage enamel cast iron pot and vintage suitcase in one trip, and a vintage high chair and pitcher in another. (Yes, I did it twice!)

I’m dying over that crib, but I really like it wooden. I know you’re a spraypainting fanatic, though!

Also, I’m looking for a new bed for the master bedroom. That wasn’t a queen pirate bed, was it?? ha

9. Robyn in Chicago says

Everly is getting a cradle for her 2nd bday coming up in March and I can’t wait for her to get it. Also, thought I would mention that there’s a Little Golden Book from the 50s called “Little Mommy”. It’s one of Everly’s favorite book. It’s adorable….however, it is from the 50s so daddy goes to work in the city while the little mommy stays home and cooks and cleans. Ha. Old fashioned, but I think it’s darling. Check it our for your “little mommy” at home!

10. Myrna says

PLEASE don’t paint the doll cradle! It is beautiful just as it is. It was probably lovingly made by some father or grandfather for his special girl.

I’m definitely considering leaving it as-is along with painting it. There are some parts that are stained/burned looking, so it probably looks misleadingly pristine in these pics. Can’t wait to see where we end up!

This challenge was so fun! Seriously, why didn’t I see a pirate ship? I am working on a pirate playroom for my boys and they would have begged me to bring that ship home! Thanks for hosting!