A Bang Up Job: How I Cut My Own Bangs

Who knew posting one little picture on instagram with Clara would start a tell-me-more-about-the-bangs frenzy? You guys are a curious bunch, demanding a post about my hair. Haha. There were even conspiracy theories that they weren’t real and I was pulling a Kim K on you guys by flipping my ponytail and faking them. Hilarious! But they are in fact real. Can’t say the same thing about my chest (just kidding). I just got off the sofa on Saturday afternoon, walked into the bathroom and cut them, came back out and sat on the sofa, and waited for John and Clara to notice. They seemed not to mind them (in fact John said they made me look “young and hot” so I’ll take it) and they do very conveniently cover my forehead wrinkles. So… score!

Because I cut them in the bathroom mirror all by myself, they’re definitely not perfect, but they seem to pass as actual bangs in real life, as opposed to looking like a child who took the kitchen scissors to her head. And since many (many) of you guys demanded a tutorial, here she blows.

I guess we should call this the sister post to the how-I-cut-John’s-hair post that I shared here. It’s pretty straightforward so quite honestly the most awkward part was getting these photos taken. Gah, I’m terrible at posing for John. So it went something like this:

John: click, click, click, “Do you need anything else?”

Me: “Ahh, this is stupid. Nevermind! We’re done.”

John: “What? I only took three photos? You sure?”

Me: “Ok, what about one like this? Ahh, too close. Back up! back up! Maybe we need to buy a lens to make my face artfully blurry.”

John: “Um… ok. So we’re done?”

As for the actual tutorial, it goes like this:

All I did was pull the hair in front that I thought should be bangs (which made a soft curved shape at the crown) forward and then I pulled the rest of my hair back into a ponytail to keep it out of the way. My hair might look ambiguously wet/dry in the picture above, but it’s fully dry.

Which leads us to step 2…

I looked up a few pictures on google of people with blunt bangs just to notice where they stopped. The ones I liked most sort of grazed the eyelashes (good thing I looked since my first instinct would have been to cut them above my eyebrows- eeks!). Then I cut them dry while looking in the mirror with the part of hair that I sectioned out just flopping in front of my face. Cutting them dry is key for me since wet hair can look heavier and longer and then dry and shrink up, thereby ruining your life. Well, that’s a little dramatic, but it can definitely pull a fast one on you, so dry hair seems to work best for ending up with bangs at the actual intended length.

Then I dipped my head into the sink to get my bangs all wet and used a blow-dryer to blow them dry in front of my face. This was helpful because after I dried them a few long stragglers stuck out and I snipped them straight across for a more blunt look. I have a ridiculous cowlick, so I’m trying not to be a crazy about how they fall. Although in this instagram picture there was a funny comb-over effect going on since a few from the other side of my head danced over to that side (hence those few guesses that this was a bang hoax I guess, haha).

Thanks to the aforementioned cowlick, sometimes I pull them apart like this. Just if it’s humid and they’re being wonky. Sorry about this bad self portrait, I was past the point of embarrassment after posing for John, seeing the pictures he took, deleting them in horror, and telling him to back out of the room slowly while whispering “it’s not your fault this is just so awkwaaaard.”

I can still pin them all back with two tiny bobby pins and rock my regular old pony (which I did last night for the Austin signing since it was crazy rainy and my hair + humidity = Frizz-fest 2013). So I guess I get three looks from this little snip-fest: 1) blunt bangs, 2)parted bangs, and 3) no bangs at all thanks to Mrs Bobby and her friend Pins.

Anyway, I hope this quick little tutorial helps someone out there save some money on a bang trim or something. Or just gives you all a good laugh at how uncomfortable capturing these photos actually was for me. It might sound crazy but I’m used to taking pictures of the house, not my mug. So it took me right back to high school yearbook photos and I was all clammy and weird about it. Seriously I didn’t know where to look, how to smile, it was a mess. Anyone else tackling some DIY haircuts at home? Or rocking some freshly shorn bangs? Tell $herdog all about it.

1. Marlayna says

You look so good! Ever had bangs before? It’s a bold move to just say, ” ha! Off with you!” :) cool of you to try. Oh, and where did you get those earrings? I love them!

Loved meeting you guys last night at the Austin book signing! And thank you for recording a video for my dear friend Ruthie (ruthiehart.com). She said she was smiling all night and is feeling much better thanks to y’alls well wishes (and Sherry’s chicken noodle soup recommendation)!

3. Veronika says

I used to be not happy with photos of me and here’s what I did about it (maybe these tips will help someone):
    – make a grimace or stick out your tongue, it always makes me laugh afterwards which then makes for a great photo
    – take maaaaany photos, just like you would with some object, different light, angle etc. (Even inanimate objects can look from cute to not-so-much depending on things like light or surroundings)
    – maybe you want to hold something in your hand (flowers in a matching color work very well) so you’re not all alone in front of the camera
    – and as always I try not to take myself too seriously (if there is a bad pic of me on the camera doesn’t mean I need to show it to anybody). Embrace awkwardness!

Great great blog you have here, I really enjoy it!

They look great! You are so brave!!! I would never cut my own hair (never have). I’m afraid of creating crazy uneven hair and ending up with a bob cut because I went too far (ahhh). I just got bangs cut so I think I’m gonna risk it and trim them myself, since they are technically already cut. *wish me luck*

5. Patti says

Really nice job on the bangs Sherry, you look bangin’! herdy-her! It’s funny how you are with the photos, my son is the same way, where do i look, what face do i make, where do i put my hands…it’s exhausting! And he happens to be in Miami!

Maybe not the best post for someone as impulsive as me to read. I read it went, okay and went into my bathroom and cut myself bangs… I really should reflect on something a little bit before I jump!!!!

• Ashley C says

Yeah, same here. They’re so cute, but you’d probably be able to see my forehead through them.

I just wrote this and then realized how I phrased my comment before I hit publish (thank God). So let me rephrase that I got bangs on Saturday, and not “banged”. Oh Lord. I needed a change so my hairdresser cut them in (my hair was far beyond help and the rest of it needed a professional). I love wearing them off to the side, but they are full blunt ones like yours too. Best part, it’s one of my husbands favorite hairstyles on me, especially when I wear it up in a bun or ponytail.

Okay let’s discuss your hair: when I saw the instagram photo you put up I thought they were real, then I saw other peoples comments and I was like “oh, I guess, maybe?” Then I remembered you had said you didn’t like your hair in your face so I was like “oh I must be wrong…damn, they are so cute.” and I was kind of bummed that maybe they weren’t real. I’m so happy they ARE real! They look super super cute on you!

They look splendid on you! And bravo for cutting them yourself!

If a curly haired gal like me attempted bangs, I’m pretty sure I would look like Peggy from Mad Men – on a good day! That would be way more embarrassing than your cute, bang self-portraits. ;)

Living vicariously through your awesome bangs,
    Curly in Austin

Oh how I wish I could have cute blunt bangs like that! I’ve got curly hair, so the shortest my bangs can get without looking weird is just below my nose. Right now they are chin-length since it’s time for a new haircut, but that’s something I won’t do myself. I did once and it was horrible.