A Bang Up Job: How I Cut My Own Bangs

Who knew posting one little picture on instagram with Clara would start a tell-me-more-about-the-bangs frenzy? You guys are a curious bunch, demanding a post about my hair. Haha. There were even conspiracy theories that they weren’t real and I was pulling a Kim K on you guys by flipping my ponytail and faking them. Hilarious! But they are in fact real. Can’t say the same thing about my chest (just kidding). I just got off the sofa on Saturday afternoon, walked into the bathroom and cut them, came back out and sat on the sofa, and waited for John and Clara to notice. They seemed not to mind them (in fact John said they made me look “young and hot” so I’ll take it) and they do very conveniently cover my forehead wrinkles. So… score!

Because I cut them in the bathroom mirror all by myself, they’re definitely not perfect, but they seem to pass as actual bangs in real life, as opposed to looking like a child who took the kitchen scissors to her head. And since many (many) of you guys demanded a tutorial, here she blows.

I guess we should call this the sister post to the how-I-cut-John’s-hair post that I shared here. It’s pretty straightforward so quite honestly the most awkward part was getting these photos taken. Gah, I’m terrible at posing for John. So it went something like this:

John: click, click, click, “Do you need anything else?”

Me: “Ahh, this is stupid. Nevermind! We’re done.”

John: “What? I only took three photos? You sure?”

Me: “Ok, what about one like this? Ahh, too close. Back up! back up! Maybe we need to buy a lens to make my face artfully blurry.”

John: “Um… ok. So we’re done?”

As for the actual tutorial, it goes like this:

All I did was pull the hair in front that I thought should be bangs (which made a soft curved shape at the crown) forward and then I pulled the rest of my hair back into a ponytail to keep it out of the way. My hair might look ambiguously wet/dry in the picture above, but it’s fully dry.

Which leads us to step 2…

I looked up a few pictures on google of people with blunt bangs just to notice where they stopped. The ones I liked most sort of grazed the eyelashes (good thing I looked since my first instinct would have been to cut them above my eyebrows- eeks!). Then I cut them dry while looking in the mirror with the part of hair that I sectioned out just flopping in front of my face. Cutting them dry is key for me since wet hair can look heavier and longer and then dry and shrink up, thereby ruining your life. Well, that’s a little dramatic, but it can definitely pull a fast one on you, so dry hair seems to work best for ending up with bangs at the actual intended length.

Then I dipped my head into the sink to get my bangs all wet and used a blow-dryer to blow them dry in front of my face. This was helpful because after I dried them a few long stragglers stuck out and I snipped them straight across for a more blunt look. I have a ridiculous cowlick, so I’m trying not to be a crazy about how they fall. Although in this instagram picture there was a funny comb-over effect going on since a few from the other side of my head danced over to that side (hence those few guesses that this was a bang hoax I guess, haha).

Thanks to the aforementioned cowlick, sometimes I pull them apart like this. Just if it’s humid and they’re being wonky. Sorry about this bad self portrait, I was past the point of embarrassment after posing for John, seeing the pictures he took, deleting them in horror, and telling him to back out of the room slowly while whispering “it’s not your fault this is just so awkwaaaard.”

I can still pin them all back with two tiny bobby pins and rock my regular old pony (which I did last night for the Austin signing since it was crazy rainy and my hair + humidity = Frizz-fest 2013). So I guess I get three looks from this little snip-fest: 1) blunt bangs, 2)parted bangs, and 3) no bangs at all thanks to Mrs Bobby and her friend Pins.

Anyway, I hope this quick little tutorial helps someone out there save some money on a bang trim or something. Or just gives you all a good laugh at how uncomfortable capturing these photos actually was for me. It might sound crazy but I’m used to taking pictures of the house, not my mug. So it took me right back to high school yearbook photos and I was all clammy and weird about it. Seriously I didn’t know where to look, how to smile, it was a mess. Anyone else tackling some DIY haircuts at home? Or rocking some freshly shorn bangs? Tell $herdog all about it.

1. Kim says

Your hair looks great! I cut my own blunt bangs, too! It was a totally impulsive decision as I was getting ready to go out for lunch/shopping with my husband a few weeks ago. I’m lucky they turned out because I didn’t do any research (looking at pics was smart, btw) and haven’t cut anyone’s hair since some random high school experiments.

It must be the time for self-cut bangs, as I spontaneously decided on New Years Eve that I wanted bangs so I watched a couple of how-tos on youtube and snipped away.
    It was the first time I’ve ever cut my own hair and I’m still suprised I didn’t screw it up!
    Your hair looks great Sherry!

You may finally have given me the courage to try this over the weekend. I have a low-ish forhead tho, so I’m afraid. also, my hair is really long right now, so it’ll be a long chop for those bang pieces. eek!

4. Steph says

Well Sherry, they look soooooo amazing!!! That’s why everyone was curious! Bangs do you justice for sure : )

I love your bangs and I am so upset that I missed you in Austin last night! I wrote it one my calendar weeks ago but then last night was the only night all of my bridesmaids could get together to try and find dresses for them. They win and we had fun, but I’m still totally bummed that I missed you guys. I added your book to our Amazon wedding registry! I’ve been tempted to just go buy it now, but this seems like more fun.

6. Lauren says

So pretty! I’m not at all brave enough to do this, but they look great on you! Do you cut the rest of your hair yourself (if you do, have you posted a tutorial about that?)?

Oh, and where are your earrings from in this post? I love them!

I do trim it myself as well. Will have to take pics of that weirdness one day. As for the earrings, I found them through Pinterest. Maybe search quatrefoil earrings? Hope it helps!

Have you heard of, or ever used, the creaclip system for cutting your own hair? I just found it the other day when looking at how to cut bangs at home (on Youtube) because I don’t want to have to drive 30 minutes to my stylist to have him trim my bangs up (though I likely ultimately will when I screw them up…which is why he was like DO NOT DO IT before I left last time). Anyway, it looks like an interesting system to cut hair. I might try it once my hair gets long.

• Ann says

Ooo I second that one… I hate spending money going to a professional, but can’t figure out how to cut the hair on the back of my head. I love the hair tutorials!

7. Lisa says

I’ve been cutting my own bangs since I was eleven. It took a few times to get it right, but I kept at it and eventually became a master. Last year I tried cutting ALL of my hair myself! I was able to do a really cute layered look after watching a YouTube tutorial. I wouldn’t even try or recommend trying a short cut, but my hair was shoulder length at the time. People are always astounded that I do it myself, but it’s really not that hard once you get over the fear. No guts, no glory!

8. Rachel says

I totally feel hip now…I got bangs the day after Christmas and I love them. You look great w/ bangs…we are bangalicious! HAHAHA

I love them! Add me to the list of folks who would NEVER do the initial chop (but secretly does trims, as if my hair stylist doesn’t notice). They make your eyes really stand out. Just lovely. I recently got bangs again but haven’t been super happy with them (as mine only do your #2 and #3 options). Perhaps I’ll go more blunt!

Cute! I tried the blunt bangs thing a few years ago and I agree that I like long ones. However, I couldn’t deal with the way the long bangs looked with sunglasses (which I wear quite often) so I ended up always parting them at the side and eventually growing them out. So my question is: do you tuck your bangs behind your sunglasses or put them in front of the lenses?

look at you working this vibe! very hip & model-esque! unfortunately due to curly hair issues i can never have bangs (or a fringe, as we call it here!), but would be sorely tempted if i could! ;)