A Bang Up Job: How I Cut My Own Bangs

Who knew posting one little picture on instagram with Clara would start a tell-me-more-about-the-bangs frenzy? You guys are a curious bunch, demanding a post about my hair. Haha. There were even conspiracy theories that they weren’t real and I was pulling a Kim K on you guys by flipping my ponytail and faking them. Hilarious! But they are in fact real. Can’t say the same thing about my chest (just kidding). I just got off the sofa on Saturday afternoon, walked into the bathroom and cut them, came back out and sat on the sofa, and waited for John and Clara to notice. They seemed not to mind them (in fact John said they made me look “young and hot” so I’ll take it) and they do very conveniently cover my forehead wrinkles. So… score!

Because I cut them in the bathroom mirror all by myself, they’re definitely not perfect, but they seem to pass as actual bangs in real life, as opposed to looking like a child who took the kitchen scissors to her head. And since many (many) of you guys demanded a tutorial, here she blows.

I guess we should call this the sister post to the how-I-cut-John’s-hair post that I shared here. It’s pretty straightforward so quite honestly the most awkward part was getting these photos taken. Gah, I’m terrible at posing for John. So it went something like this:

John: click, click, click, “Do you need anything else?”

Me: “Ahh, this is stupid. Nevermind! We’re done.”

John: “What? I only took three photos? You sure?”

Me: “Ok, what about one like this? Ahh, too close. Back up! back up! Maybe we need to buy a lens to make my face artfully blurry.”

John: “Um… ok. So we’re done?”

As for the actual tutorial, it goes like this:

All I did was pull the hair in front that I thought should be bangs (which made a soft curved shape at the crown) forward and then I pulled the rest of my hair back into a ponytail to keep it out of the way. My hair might look ambiguously wet/dry in the picture above, but it’s fully dry.

Which leads us to step 2…

I looked up a few pictures on google of people with blunt bangs just to notice where they stopped. The ones I liked most sort of grazed the eyelashes (good thing I looked since my first instinct would have been to cut them above my eyebrows- eeks!). Then I cut them dry while looking in the mirror with the part of hair that I sectioned out just flopping in front of my face. Cutting them dry is key for me since wet hair can look heavier and longer and then dry and shrink up, thereby ruining your life. Well, that’s a little dramatic, but it can definitely pull a fast one on you, so dry hair seems to work best for ending up with bangs at the actual intended length.

Then I dipped my head into the sink to get my bangs all wet and used a blow-dryer to blow them dry in front of my face. This was helpful because after I dried them a few long stragglers stuck out and I snipped them straight across for a more blunt look. I have a ridiculous cowlick, so I’m trying not to be a crazy about how they fall. Although in this instagram picture there was a funny comb-over effect going on since a few from the other side of my head danced over to that side (hence those few guesses that this was a bang hoax I guess, haha).

Thanks to the aforementioned cowlick, sometimes I pull them apart like this. Just if it’s humid and they’re being wonky. Sorry about this bad self portrait, I was past the point of embarrassment after posing for John, seeing the pictures he took, deleting them in horror, and telling him to back out of the room slowly while whispering “it’s not your fault this is just so awkwaaaard.”

I can still pin them all back with two tiny bobby pins and rock my regular old pony (which I did last night for the Austin signing since it was crazy rainy and my hair + humidity = Frizz-fest 2013). So I guess I get three looks from this little snip-fest: 1) blunt bangs, 2)parted bangs, and 3) no bangs at all thanks to Mrs Bobby and her friend Pins.

Anyway, I hope this quick little tutorial helps someone out there save some money on a bang trim or something. Or just gives you all a good laugh at how uncomfortable capturing these photos actually was for me. It might sound crazy but I’m used to taking pictures of the house, not my mug. So it took me right back to high school yearbook photos and I was all clammy and weird about it. Seriously I didn’t know where to look, how to smile, it was a mess. Anyone else tackling some DIY haircuts at home? Or rocking some freshly shorn bangs? Tell $herdog all about it.

Comments

1. Holly says

You, and they, look awesome! And seriously, the camera LOVES you…I mean, look at those eyelashes!!

2. Vanessa Gasca says

Love your bangs! I think they are so fun. I usually keep the side swept bangs, but I was already thinking of cutting more dramtic bangs and your post helps me with that decision. And its great cause now you can pin them, braid them to one side if you feel like growing them out. They look really good on you, even with your hair up in a bun, in a pony tail and I am sure down as well. Love them!

3. Angie says

Great job on the bangs! They look really good on you =)

Try Joico Humidity blocker, it’ll change your life…ok maybe that’s a bit dramatic, but as a curly headed chica living in the HUMID south, it kind of changed mine. LOL!! I use it on dry hair right before I hit it with the flat iron and my hairs stays nice and smooth….ahhh… AMAZINGNESS

Um, this is what I go through every time I take photos for my blog! My poor, patient husband snaps away on my iPhone, and then I look at them all and try to find at least one or two I don’t hate. It’s actually part of why I started blogging – to tackle the photos-of-myself fear. It will get better! You look lovely – my favorite was the parted bang look. :)

5. Brenda says

I admit I wasn’t sure if it was a real cut or a faux cut at first. The lighting in the Instagram pic had me unsure. It’s a cute look for you! In college during spring break I was watching Pride & Prejudice, and after admiring their hair I just went over to the mirror and cut bangs. They were OK for awhile, but I only look good when I really fuss with them, and I am decidedly unfussy with my hair. So I grew them back out. You’re definitely right on the dry cut, though. Too-short bangs are not attractive on anyone (I speak from experience).

6. mariela says

Looks great! I have done this before! I’m very impulsive like that. I walk in the bathroom and cut my own bangs and come out feeling refreshed haha. I call it the 5 minute makeover.

I grew my bangs out in 5th-6th grade (it took two years! Augh!) and it was so traumatic I’ll never do bangs again. Probably. Anyway, you make them super cute and now you’re rocking kind of a Zooey Deschanel vibe. Have you considered picking up the ukelele?

8. Becky Horst says

As a professional hairdresser I must say when I first read the title I cringed. I was scared for you. But ya done good kid! Thank goodness you didn’t go above the brow. I’m not sure how long ago you did this but don’t be surprised/alarmed if they need tweaked every 2/3 weeks. Fabulous bangs like that do need maintenance. But they really do so much for you…who knew!

9. Amanda C says

LOVE the bangs! You look great! I wish I had the guts to do something like that! Not sure if you saw, but your bangs even elicited a little facebook bickering from some of your fans about whether or not they were real! Haha!

p.s. favorite picture of Clara ever!

10. Betsy C. says

EEEEK! Sherry, I LOVE your bangs! Oh how I wish you had been in my bathroom 10 1/2 months ago when I was 39 weeks pregnant and desperate for a new look. I took a pair of scissors to my hair and ended up with horridly short bangs and NOT the cute look I was hoping for at all! I too have a cowlick in the front right of my hair and let me tell you my delivery photos were not at all awesome despite Mrs. Bobby and friends. Enough about me though, you really rock this look! Love how they bring out your eyes!

11. JMay says

O M Gee! I haven’t even gotten past the second paragraph of this post and already I’m giddy with excitement. I too saw that pic on Instagram and thought, “I gots to get me some bangs”. Now, you’re telling me you’re going to break down the DIY steps for me?? Come on! Best morning surprise ever. Holla!

I have to jump on the bandwagon and say you look seriously, ridiculously cute and chic with bangs! You are always a doll, of course but this is a great look!