Book Projects By You (Over 300 DIY & Craft Projects!)

As soon as we decided to number all the tips in our book over two years ago we hoped to someday create an online component where folks could upload their take on any of the projects along with the project number. And that day has finally come! So not only will folks be able to access this page right here, we’ll also be linking to it directly from our book page – so if you’re ever bored and want to check out a ton of reader submitted projects that have been completed after checking out our book (which will just keep growing over time) this post should eventually be chock full of them!

It’s sort of like a book-related Pinterest Challenge that doesn’t expire for over a year, so you can add away and come back to see what everyone else has whipped up too (you know we love to share the love!). And speaking of l-o-v-e, since there are about 500 ways to skin a cat, whether you’ve done something similar or put a totally new twist on something from our book, we’d LOVE to see it! Here are three of our favorites that readers have sent us/blogged about – and please feel free to upload yours underneath (which you can do even if you don’t have a blog)!

• Project #120: Make Paint-Chip Art from Margaux & Steve at Young Nesters.

• Project #147: Make Tissue Paper Art by a reader named Alise. She doesn’t have a blog, but she described her process as tracing the outline of a fish into tissue paper and cutting it out instead of making scallops/fish scales and then Mod Podging them to the canvas. I love the use of one orange fish in the group – just to make things interesting!

And now here’s the part where we tip our homemade hats to you guys and invite you to share your take on any of our book projects. If you have a blog you can just link up here, and if you don’t you can always add a link to a free photo sharing site like Flickr or Facebook with your pics (remember to set the photo to public so we can all see it). Here’s how to upload your project:

1. click on the blue “Add Your Link” button with the odd cartoon head at the bottom of this post (you might have to do some scrolling, depending how many projects are added)
  2. in the URL field, add a link to your specific blog post about your project (not your home page) or the Flickr/Facebook link
  3. where it says “name” write the project number (ex: “Project #114”) as opposed to your actual name, the name of your blog, or a description of the project

We’re crazypants excited to see what you guys have been up to!

Comments

You guys just made me have a mild heart attack when I saw my Bloggie Bestie on your page. MILD HEART ATTACK. You should warn a girl before her BB is on like, the biggest blog on the planet.

Thanks for letting us share!

2. Alise says

Sherry and John — I am squealing with excitement to see my fish art on your site. I literally have a perma-grin, which is what I had when I finished the project. Thanks so much for your inspiration — both in the book and on your blog. I started flagging more projects from your book last night.
    ~Alise :-)

• Jillian says

Alise – I love that you not only put one orange fish in the mix but that it was swimming against the rest. So beautiful but more importantly, inspiring.

• Alise says

Thanks, Jillian. This was done for my future nephew. My sister and her husband are avid swimmers and are going with an “under-water” themed nursery. Orange is my sister’s favorite color (so that’s a nod to her) but really I wanted to make sure my nephew remembers he is perfectly and uniquely one of a kind. :-)

I actually was picturing a silly take on Julie & Julia (complete with awkward photo shop poster here: http://bandbbuildalife.com/2012/10/19/we-interrupt-this-blogcast-for-a-special-announcement-yhl-in-print/)

And walking around the apartment in Pittsburgh, I realize I’ve actually done at least 3 of the smaller projects and never documented it as the holidays have steamrolled most of my blog plans. Will have to recreate some of the fun!

I’ve been inspired by the book (and your site) to semi-redo our kitchen. I’ve even ordered samples of tin ceiling tiles so we can pick out a color and pattern for the backsplash. I’m sure my husband would love to thank you for giving his days off meaning and purpose … and he shows it by rolling his eyes every time I talk about it. ;) http://slappyintheface.com/2012/11/old-house-meh/

5. Emily R says

So quickly people stop following directions! I don’t know how you keep your sanity! People! Where it says name, put the project number!

I dont understand all the words (I use a dictionary Italian-English /English-Italian because Google translator is… well… urgh…. XD ) but I love your blog and I want your book! Ahah, I’ll try with Amazon UK ^*^ And Clara is so cutie (like my little niece, 6 months only *__* )
    Baci dall’Italia / kiss from Italy
    Antonella

Love this and already added my link for using a chair as a nightstand (inspired by you). Same blog post has a quickie quilt covered headboard (also inspired by you)!

Of course, I have lots more projects that were sparked from your book and I can’t wait to do a few more. Thanks for putting up this fun little linky party — I can’t wait to see what everyone else does!