Book Projects By You (Over 300 DIY & Craft Projects!)

As soon as we decided to number all the tips in our book over two years ago we hoped to someday create an online component where folks could upload their take on any of the projects along with the project number. And that day has finally come! So not only will folks be able to access this page right here, we’ll also be linking to it directly from our book page – so if you’re ever bored and want to check out a ton of reader submitted projects that have been completed after checking out our book (which will just keep growing over time) this post should eventually be chock full of them!

It’s sort of like a book-related Pinterest Challenge that doesn’t expire for over a year, so you can add away and come back to see what everyone else has whipped up too (you know we love to share the love!). And speaking of l-o-v-e, since there are about 500 ways to skin a cat, whether you’ve done something similar or put a totally new twist on something from our book, we’d LOVE to see it! Here are three of our favorites that readers have sent us/blogged about – and please feel free to upload yours underneath (which you can do even if you don’t have a blog)!

• Project #120: Make Paint-Chip Art from Margaux & Steve at Young Nesters.

• Project #147: Make Tissue Paper Art by a reader named Alise. She doesn’t have a blog, but she described her process as tracing the outline of a fish into tissue paper and cutting it out instead of making scallops/fish scales and then Mod Podging them to the canvas. I love the use of one orange fish in the group – just to make things interesting!

And now here’s the part where we tip our homemade hats to you guys and invite you to share your take on any of our book projects. If you have a blog you can just link up here, and if you don’t you can always add a link to a free photo sharing site like Flickr or Facebook with your pics (remember to set the photo to public so we can all see it). Here’s how to upload your project:

1. click on the blue “Add Your Link” button with the odd cartoon head at the bottom of this post (you might have to do some scrolling, depending how many projects are added)
  2. in the URL field, add a link to your specific blog post about your project (not your home page) or the Flickr/Facebook link
  3. where it says “name” write the project number (ex: “Project #114”) as opposed to your actual name, the name of your blog, or a description of the project

We’re crazypants excited to see what you guys have been up to!

Comments

1. Ashley says

All I can think is… how did people already have time to do projects!?!

I’m still staring at the book and getting started reading it… :)

You just popped my bubble. Whomp, whomp. My blog partner/daughter and I were going to have a Young House Week in early January and feature our take on some of your projects each day. We had actually done several of these things before your book came out. We both bought your book and love it. You did such a great job, and it is SO you. Congrats, congrats!!! By the way, I commented several weeks ago that you would be on the NY Times bestseller least.

Aw thanks Janette! Why not do what you had planned on your site in January and then link up to it from this post when you do? The linky thing will be open for a long time, so you have all the time in the world (well not all the time, but over a year of it – haha!).

xo

What an awesome idea! Can’t wait to see what people come up with using your book as inspiration. I know I have a few projects in mind… :)

I LOVE KENZIE AND HER HEADBOARD WALL :) But I’m probably biased because we’re blog friends.

Thank you for letting us host our little link party a few weeks ago, we had a great time working on it!!

What a great idea! I’m sure it will be cool to see all the different takes on the projects, and get even more ideas and tips! I’m personally still crossing my fingers that Santa brings your book my way!

6. Theresa A says

perfect timing! i just finished painting our front door, need to take some pics. I was going to email them to you guys but now i’ll just post here! so cool.

7. Ally says

What a freaking amazing idea! Really inspired. Such a cool way to bring people together over things we all love — DIY and YHL!

8. Caity says

Awesome! It’s always fun to see what people come up with and the variety of ideas that one project can spark. I’m still waiting to get your book – it was on my Christmas list, so hopefully it will be under the tree! :)

As soon as I am out of the hospital next month, we’ll definitely be posting our project pics! Again, you guys are seriously keeping me distracted and focused, so when I’m back home I’ll share the love!

Ooh, I’m so excited! I have two jars that are just waiting to be etched/painted for my kitchen. I can’t wait to blog about it!

11. Stephanie says

i didn’t even realize that headboard was painted. i saw the picture and thought the only thing painted were the outlines along the wall. SO COOL!