Reader Redesign: Ka-Powder Room

Before getting to the Reader Redesign goods, we have a quick Burger-related story. Yesterday was a very scary day for us. Burger was sitting on Sherry’s lap and Clara and I came home and Burger was so excited to see us that he jumped off her lap (as he’s done a million times before) and somehow lost his balance and flipped in the air and landed on the floor on his back and neck. He yelped and Sherry scooped him up to see if he was ok but he shook his head and acted fine. So we put him on the floor but he couldn’t walk. He had no balance and walked into the walls and wouldn’t put weight on either of his hind legs and kept falling over.

While rushing to get everyone in the car to get him to the vet, Sherry called them to tell them we were coming and while she was on the phone Burger had what we think was a small seizure (he was very rigid and his eyes were open but he wasn’t focusing on anything and he was shaking violently). It stopped after about twenty seconds and by the time we got to the vet he was acting completely normal. He could walk and all of his vitals checked out. They think the stumbling and loss of balance along with the possible seizure was from the shock of the impact but he restored all function and checked out all of their many tests so we’re just so thankful he’s ok. They said we had to watch him for the next 24 hours for any signs that something’s off, and we’re still a few hours shy of that mark but he’s acting just like his old self and is jumping and running around (as hyper as ever, haha). Whew. He scared the heck out of us, but we’re all so thankful he’s ok.

But back to the reader redesign! Now that we’re shifting from kitchen to bathroom brain, it should come as no surprise that we’re gravitating towards the bathroom makeovers popping up in our inbox these day. And we’re especially charmed by ones like Michelle’s – because it (like ours) isn’t a total gut job. Instead, it’s just a few manageable updates that go a long way. And for Michelle, those big impact changes are paint, pattern, and molding (I was this close to an alliteration there). Check out her note below.

As fellow stenciling survivors, I thought you might enjoy our powder room make-over!

We added some moldings and used the Nova Trellis stencil from Royal Design studios to transform our boring powder room into a quirky new space!

The white is Ultra White by Valspar.  The black is Black Leather by Dutch Boy.

We still need to add crown molding and wall art. I might also switch out the mirror and window treatment. This room is a little bolder than my usual conservative style but I’m digging it! – Michelle

We are too, Michelle. Thanks for sending the pictures our way. We love a bold pattern in a small space like a bathroom (rooms like that will never look giant anyway, so embracing them and turning them into something special is such a great call). It really wakes up the room in a nice way. And the molding and trim adds tons of style too. To read more about this project, visit Michelle’s blog. But first let’s hear what you like best. Is it the crisp white molding? The rich wood floors? The pedestal sink? Or the brave stencil job?

Comments

Poor Burger. Similar thing happened to Kirby, though without the seizure, recently. We’re pretty sure he strained his shoulder and he was limpy for a few days.

I love that bathroom. Makes me want to tear out the beadboard in our half bath and replace it with… I don’t even know what to call that lol

Poor Burger! I hope everything stays okay with the little guy. My dog is getting older (& fatter – I just posted on this today) and I HATE having to worry about age-related stuff with him.

I love the makeover… the paint job makes me think of pixels. Nerd alert!

3. Kim says

My heart was in my throat reading that! So glad he seems to be on the mend!!

Love the redesign! :)

4. luann says

I had goosebumps as soon as I started reading about burger, so glad the story had a happy ending since it would be awkward to explain crying at work.
    That little bathroom packs a punch I’m loving the moldings! Not sure I’ll ever have the patience to stencil a whole wall, it would probably just end up half done and mocking me every time I saw it.

I had to read the end before the story to see if he was ok or not. Then I sort of just breezed over the reader re-design..which was good but phew – dog people are pulling for burger!

5. Allen says

What I liked best is the part were you said Burger was ok!

(Sorry we paranoid pup people have such petite, pinpointed perception, Michelle)

6. Stephanie says

Poor Burger! I’m so glad he’s okay.

I love that stencil in that bathroom. Definitely my favorite part. It’s simple but really graphic and interesting too.

Poor Burgs. So happy he’s back to his hyper little self. Now onto the redo, I am definitely digging the dark wood contrasted with the stark white walls. (My Pinterest is ALL OVER this combo of wood & white.) When I used to think of black and white bathrooms I would picture those ugly dated diner-style ones with white tiles and black border tile, but now instead I’ll think of this. Thanks for sharing, Michelle! It looks fabulous.

8. Janice says

OK – you sacred me there with little Burger’s scare. Thank goodness he is OK. We had to put our sweet 17.5 year old Jack Russell down 13 days ago. We are heart broken. They are such an important part of our lives. How a 12 pound dog can rule the roost, I don’t know, but they sure do.

Anyway – glad Burger is OK, and love that powder room makeover. Inspiring!

9. Ruth says

So glad Burger is doing well! Our furry friend had to have dental surgery, so they gave him something that knocked him out for a few hours. When he came to, he was really distressed by how weird he felt from the lingering drugs. He spent the whole night staring at nothing and whining almost constantly, but varying from very low to low volume so it wasn’t irritating, just heartbreaking. Poor guy! As painful as that experience was for us, at least we knew he wasn’t in danger. I can’t even imagine how you guys were feeling.

I love the new stencil in Michelle’s bathroom, but what I’m really jonesing for is that awesome wood floor. Our rental house bathroom has a beat up white tile floor with dark grey grout. Ugh it always looks so gross and dirty.

10. Erin says

So glad to hear your little man is okay. My best friend’s little dog (Chihuahua mix, I think) lived most of his adult life with intermittent seizures. The vet always said that as scary as they looked, they did not hurt him at all. Still frightening as heck, though! Give that Burger a hug and a treat for us. :)

11. Alexa says

OMG Burger! I can’t focus on the bathroom because I can only imagine how scared you and he must have been! I too have a chi-chi (Rocky). He was sitting on my bf’s lap, heard a nosie, jumped and hit his eye on the corner of the desk. We too rushed to the vet – the whole time he was squinting and his eye was watery. The minute we get there, I am holding him and the tech asks me what is wrong with him? I’m hysterical thinking “Can’t you see?” When I turn him to look at Rocky BOTH EYES WERE WIDE OPEN. That little hairball knew he was at the vet and stopped acting sick for the attention. I think we might rename him Leo DiCaprio for that Oscar winning performance. :) Virtual hugs and treats for Burger from me!

12. Robin O says

Wow. It’s so scary when things happen to our pets. Sooo glad to hear Burger is back to his ol’ self!

I love her bathroom!