Can You Smell That Smell?

Yup, the faint smell of bacon, spray paint, and sweat can only mean one thing… it’s Pinterest Challenge time (not sponsored by Pinterest or anyone else, just dreamed up by Katie Bower to make us stop pinning and start doing). So let’s do this thing, people. Let’s do it together. In bikinis (let’s be honest, bikinis haven’t been an option for me since having Clara).

It all started last June when Katie called me to say that she thought we should challenge ourselves to make one thing each season that’s inspired by all the gorgeous stuff that we’ve pinned (and call it… wait for it… The Pinterest Challenge). It’s a welcome slap of stop-pinning-and-start-doing. Because I’ve pinned over a thousand things and have only done about 1% of them. Yikes. And we ended up having such a great time with our first Pinterest Challenge last summer, and our second one in the fall, that we’re psyched to be back with the belated-but-not-forgotten winter edition (hey, it’s technically winter for a few more weeks, right?). So put on those sweat bands and let’s get this DIY party started!

The only rule is to do your own personal take on something inspirational that you’ve pinned (and link back to the original creator of the project that inspired you, be it a company like Anthropologie or a personal blog that got your wheels a turning). The project can be anything: big or small, decor or sewing or cooking related – or beyond! The first time around John and I made a clothespin light fixture for the laundry room (aka: big), and last time I tackled 38 homemade holiday ornaments (aka: small).

And this time, believe it or not, I thought I’d seize the opportunity to attempt a truce with my arch nemesis sewing machine (more on our “it’s complicated” relationship here) and try my hand at a homemade beanbag for the bean’s closet (which I mentioned here over seven months ago – so it’s about stitchin’ time). I’ve already pinned a ton of ideas, but I’m not sure which shape/fabric I’ll end up going with (here’s hoping my riff isn’t a lumpy misshapen mess) – but I’ll be back with all of the deets when I (fingers crossed) complete the challenge by next week.

Oh and you’re probably wondering who else is playing along with me and Katie Bower (aka: The Esteemed Bacon-Eating Pinterest Challenge Founder – who is actually nominated for an Apartment Therapy Homie in not one but two categories this year, woot!). Well, we thought it would be fun to ask different folks to “guest host” with us each time, so we’re thrilled to have:

So here’s the part where I extend my arm with a crooked smile and a true fear of sewing in my eyes and humbly invite you to join in on the fun by doing your own spin on something you pin! We figured we’d give everyone (and ourselves) the weekend to work on stuff and reconvene next Wednesday morning (the 14th) to share our projects. We’re hoping this’ll turn into the same über fun share-fest that we soaked up this summer and fall (check out all the amazing linked-up projects here and here). So just drop in next Wednesday to see what we’ve done – and to submit links to stuff that you’ve completed so we can all check it out. Maybe we’ll even pin a few things. And so the vicious cycle continues…

Psst- One more time, for the people in the back: regardless of the fact that I say Pinterest ten million times (well, not literally…) this wasn’t paid or perked by them or anyone else. We’re just eye-candy obsessed gals who love a good pin-fest. Sometimes while watching a certain lovable serial killer or a show about the zombie apocalypse.

Comments

I’m in! I’ve been wanting to make one of those cut-in-half tables as a bedside table for my younger son. The heat register is on the wall next to his bed, so any regular table blocks the heat.

I realized last night that my grandmother’s broken coffee table would be a perfect candidate for this project, and will call my father today to make sure he’s okay with me taking a saw to his mother’s furniture!

My Pinterest inspiration is this table:

Katy

Oh, I am so excited! My husband and I had already planned to tackle a Pinterest inspired project this weekend. I can’t wait to share. This will definitely give us incentive to finish it and not let it sit around the house half done for months. I love deadlines!

Oooo..oooo..ooooo!!!! (hand raised and waving) I am IN. The sun room is getting white washed as I write this and I am using my Pinterest board to create cheese cloth (already ordered the cheese cloth from Amazon) curtains and old wooden boxes stacked for shelves once all is said and done! At the rate they are painting….I just might have something for next week AND a dedicated studio space so the kitchen table is again a kitchen table!

Hilarious! I have a project I just completed and look forward to joining in … once my site is back up and running. Dumb server issues. ;) Heading over to check things out!

• Meredith says

perhaps katie should get credit for the photoshopping in your post? not to nag… but it looked like a lot of work! have fun pinning and doing this weekend! :)

I’ll add a big ol’ shout out to her for her fabulous photoshop work at the bottom of the post right now, just to set things straight! I actually thought about adding one before hitting publish, but John and I edited the Pinterest Challenge video (which we did for the first challenge with Emily Henderson) and we both edited the pics for the last challenge so we just seem to trade off doing the work without calling out what each one of us specifically did. But why not?! Off to add it!

• Meredith says

D’oh! I feel dumb for not remembering the editing behind the other two challenge reveals…

You guys are all so talented! There’s nothing that gets me worked up like having hundreds of pictures on my computer waiting to be edited. And I wouldn’t even know where to begin if someone told me to edit a video. One day, when I’m all grown up (yes, I am also 29. Don’t judge.), I’ll be just like you guys with pictures of my vacations all edited and ready to share in less than a week. I know it sounds strange, but I think I was more jealous of the fact that you think you can have some pictures ready to share soon than I was about your actual trip to Hawaii! Sigh. I’ll just live vicariously through you for now. ;)

Aw, thanks Meredith! You’re so sweet! It gets easier I think! We have some batch edit functions (that auto size pics, etc) in Photoshop that help too so I recommend making “actions” that can help with that!

5. Kimberly says

Hey, is this for bloggers only? I’ve been planning on working on a pinterest-inspired curtain rod and would love to share it.