A Giant Rooster? Who Does That?

Me.

I’ve actually been hiding this $12 HomeGoods find in our playroom for… oh… five months? So it was about time I attended to him. Yup, this guy’s part of the self-imposed initiative I like to call the “Dude Get On That Already” challenge, since I’ve solemnly vowed to use it or lose it (aka: use it or craigslist/donate it) when it comes to all the things we’ve been hoarding in our full-to-the-brim playroom.

At first glance you might think “he’s a fine looking roughly weathered white & tan rooster” (or “you need ceramic animal rehab” which could also be true) but I thought his distressed white finish was a little more country than my usual crisp & modern ceramic animal tastes, so I decided that giving him a coat of new color would be just the thing. And I wanted to pick a pretty daring color, just because… well, he’s a giant rooster. Don’t want him to take himself too seriously now do I? So after standing in the spray paint aisle for at least ten minutes weighing all the bold and bright options (and singing Jingle Bells to keep the bean entertained), I grabbed Rustoleum’s Painter’s Touch in Aubergine (satin). And I was plum excited to use it. Groan. Sorry, the puns just happen. It’s a gift and a curse.

If I really wanted to be an overachiever, I would have used some spray primer (that always helps paint “grab on” when you’re spraying slippery things like ceramic) – but because the can said “two times the coverage” I figured I’d try my luck without it and just go back and add a layer of primer if things went haywire. Luckily they didn’t. I just did my usual thin misted coats routine (read more on that here). Check out how crazy things were looking at first. If you’re spray painting lightly and thinly, there’s not good coverage until the third or fourth coat, so the first one had him looking a little… hot pink:

But after two more thin and even coats, coverage was good. And Jarvis was aubergine. Oh that’s his name. Everything with a face deserves a name, don’t you think?

He looks pretty fun in front of the light avocado walls in the kitchen.

Oh and in case the scale wasn’t clear until this photo, he’s giant. Like a foot and a half tall. Who doesn’t want a giant aubergine rooster named Jarvis waiting in the kitchen to greet you in the morning? Cock-a-doodle-do to you too, Jarvis.

Although if I’m being honest, I’m not 100% sold on the color. It’s fun, but I’m not sure as the kitchen comes together if he won’t get a few more coats of another bright color someday. Say yellow… or slate blue. So I’ll keep you posted. Plum is fun, so who knows – it could totally stay.

What do you guys collect and stash in a spare corner/room/closet only to look at it months later and feel crappy for just leaving it there? These “Dude Get On That Already” projects are small, but they’re making me feel pretty good for some reason. Maybe it’s the whole “every little bit helps” thing? Or the fact that we’re inching towards clearing out the playroom which means it’ll be a blank canvas for paint and curtains and a rug and furniture and accessories. Wheee. It’s almost like that dream when you find an extra room in your house. Except we’ve always known it was there and have been filling it with weird stuff instead of discovering a secret wall or staircase that leads to it. Am I the only one who has that dream?

Psst- Jarvis is second to none when it comes to giant roosters… except for Beyoncé. If you haven’t read the funniest post on the internet about her yet (salty language warning) check that out here.

Comments

Yes! My first thought when I saw Jarvis was of Beyonce! I love your smaller rooster version – and that plum color is brilliant! Great find, Sherry!

2. Elyssa says

I’m sure someone’s probably pointed this out already but just in case…where it says “read more here and here” about your spray painting technique, those posts aren’t linked up.

Love the color of the rooster, though!

3. Annie says

{FIRST?!}
    In other news … I LOVE the plum/aubergine rooster’s punch o’color in the kitchen! Very nice! If anything you could make it the only thing that color and make it your conversation piece for the room. Just sayin’. ;)

I love the “dude get on that” series! So much fun to pull out the “I must have it even though I don’t know what to do with it right now” items. This rooster is fantastic and that color is ah-mazing!!!

I’ve personally been on the hunt for a white ceramic elephant!

It is really funny that you mention that you have that dream, because just the other night I dreamed I found a hall and a guest room in our house that needed decorating! If only…

6. Claire says

I am currently a hoarder of fabrics. Yanno, a yard or two here and there of stuff that I love.

There’s a discount home decor fabric store near me (Home Fabrics and Rugs in Concord for anyone in the East Bay area near San Francisco)that sells a plethora of fabrics at super cheap prices (I have paid as little as $1.50 a yard). I go there to browse once in a while for ideas and if I find something that calls my name I normally buy a yard or two, even if I don’t have any current projects. So far I’ve used the rando fabric to make two new throw pillows when I changed things up with a slip cover. I’ve also made myself a soft Nook cover (because I’m too cheap to spend $20 on something I can make myself for less than a dollar in materials) that I love way more than is healthy.

I haven’t even finished the post. I’m mad because I officially cannot let my husband read your blog! To this day he wonders why I wouldn’t let him register for a giant rooster we saw at Macy’s when we had our bridal registry. :) His logic would go something like this “Iomay likes young house love and sherry likes roosters.. so.. that means Iomay likes roosters.. I’m going to go buy a rooster”. hahaha.. oh dear!

8. Vanessa says

Jarvis! Cute name, I like him!

Off topic: That old post about “The Day in the Life Of …” really showed how little chill time you guys get. You should get real greedy and take a day off every week! :) I visit your website often, and as much as I love reading about all the projects, I kinda like when there hasn’t been a new post since the last time I’d visited. I just imagine that during that time, you all are able to hang out and have some fun family time with your busy schedules!

• Ruth says

Agreed to this! I’m actually (I’m not joking!) starting to get worried about you guys. You know that sleep is necessary for human existence, right?

Yes! We have been doing our best to get as much sleep as we can while keeping up with book stuff that just has to get done! It’s not a sustainable pace forever, but we can totally do it for three weeks. And then we’ll slow down and sleep like normal people again! Can’t wait for that day!

• Marcy says

Funny because I also feel like as much as I love seeing a new post from you, I’d rather you didn’t push yourselves over the edge. Hopefully after your next book deadline, you not only get adequate sleep, but a week off!

Amen! This first book experience is all about learning what we can and can’t accomplish as two people! So let’s say we’re definitely testing and learning about limits as we go! And hopefully course correcting along the way!