Blogiversary IV: A Few Fun (& Crazy) Blog Stats

As if this morning’s pie charts weren’t enough, we’re back to get all numerical and statistical on you. Each year we like to break down what YHL looks like by the numbers. Some are crazy. Some are surprising. Some are serious. Some are, well, just for fun. We’ve included some of last year’s numbers just for comparison’s sake, but you can also look back at our past by-the-numbers posts for our last three blogiversaries to see how things have changed: 2010, 2009 and 2008.

2,014 – The number of published posts to date on Young House Love (Last year: 1,527)

16 – The number of published posts to date on Young House Life (clearly someone’s gotta pick up the slack over there).

570,314 – The number of total comments left by you fine folks. More than DOUBLE our number last year (258,904) meaning there has been more commenting action in the last 12 months than in our first three years.

38,754 – The number of comment responses we’ve posted, which is more than TRIPLE last year’s total (13,039).

9 – Number of months we’ve lived in our new house

21.5 – Clara’s weight (wonder how long she’ll let us keep sharing that?). Up from 14lbs last year. She’s tall and skinny like… well, a bean (a string bean to be exact).

8.5 – My main man Burger’s weight. Up from a whopping 8lbs last year.

210,460- Most blog hits we’ve received in a single day according to WordPress.com stats – the day our Washington Post feature came out (last year’s top day: 97,024). But yesterday we were just 7K away from topping the Wash Post day!

4,048,011 – Total number of blog hits we received last month (insanity – last year’s stat: 2,144,976).

68,164,565 – Total blog hits to date (nearly double last year’s number: 36,698,957)

4 – Number of times we’ve driven by our old house to check in on it (including once after Hurricane Irene – it was fine!)

1 – Number of times we accidentally turned down our old street when we meant to go to our new house (we’re proud of ourselves since it’s only a mile away).

150 – Total number of mood boards featured in our Mood Board Gallery.

363 – Total number of home photos in our Room Gallery, courtesy of the 32 homes we’ve “crashed” over the years (we’re still planning to add Reader Redesigns from our archives to that group – soon hopefully!).

146– Total number of weekly giveaways that we’ve held since starting them back in November of ’08 (after you guys requested them during our very first blogiversary)

35- Our average number of posts per month

3 – Number of soda-themed shirts I (John) own (I do own non-soda-related shirts, despite the fact that they seem to be the only ones that show up in pictures).

12 – Clara’s current catalog of animal sounds. She can moo like a cow, neigh like a horse, baa like a sheep, maa like a goat, meow like a cat, woof like a dog, hoo like an owl, cheep like a chicken, roar like a lion, quack like a duck, say “ooh-ooh-ahh-ahh” like a monkey, and even imitate a sloth (which according to one of her books says “slowly slowly” – so she slinks around saying that).

2,405- Average number of words written per post (we’re chatty, huh?)

19,204- Average number of words written per week (admittedly, this is kind of insane)

648 – The total number of projects that we link to on our Projects page (and we still have around 50 to add, but haven’t gotten to that part of our to-do list yet. Sorry!)

58: Photos of Clara that we’ve taken for her photo project (52 weekly pictures + 5 monthly + 1 for her birthday card)

230,652 – Number of Pinterest followers (this. is. insane.)

22 – Total number of steps from our bed to our desk (in the last house it was 7, so we no longer risk posting in our sleep anymore).

6:30 – The time tonight that we’ll be participating in a local panel discussion called “Hobby to Business: Making A Living Doing What You Love.” How fitting for blogiversary week, no? More details here (psst- we’re not getting paid for it, just thought it sounded fun).

So there you have it. The stats of the year. Do you guys count things like steps from one room to another or how often you intentionally and unintentionally drive to an old house? Can you picture how cute Clara is when she slinks around the house saying “sloooowly, sloooowly” – seriously it’s amazing. We’ll have to get it on video pronto.

Psst- You can also look back at our past by-the-numbers posts for our last three blogiversaries here: 2010, 2009 and 2008.

Comments

• Emily says

I wonder if there is a way to keep track of google reader hits. I bet the number would almost double. I read most of the blog posts on google reader and then jump over to the website to comment (i try and comment sparingly since people have said what I was going to say 100 times before).

Seriously, the pinterest number is insanity. I mean, John started putting this post together last week and it went up 40K in the time that he wrote it so when he updated it he couldn’t believe it. I guess the other most surprising numbers are monthly hits topping 4 million. That’s a pretty crazy number when we think about how we’re just two people with a dog and a kid sharing our DIY trials and tribulations. Haha.

Sherry, you guys know you are listed as “tastemakers” on pintrest, right? Everyone that clicks on that link and goes “what is a taste maker?” gets to see you, RIGHT at the top of the list. Congrats on all of your success!

• Marie says

Yep, I just caved and joined Pinterest last week and after I entered my interests (home and DIY being two), it had me autofollow about 10 people, the first of which was you!

I didn’t get there via a link from here or anything, so it must be happening to everybody.

That’s so funny! We have heard that if you log in using Facebook and you’ve liked us on Facebook it might auto-connect us, so maybe that’s what happened!

Wow! The growth in the past year is crazy! I’ve been a faithful reader for 3 years and will continue, glad others are hopping on board.

Also one of my 21 month old daughter’s fave animal sounds is a turtle: she shrugs her shoulders and says ‘not much’…

Also go you guys for only auto-piloting it once to your old house :)

2. Kaylyn Myers says

I’ve been following you for a few months now, and I’m so excited for your blogiversary week! You inspired me to even make my own blog (still getting it set up) and join Pinterest!

I think our nights are different. We used to work until 8 or so on a late night and then relax and completely unplug for the most part. Lately we’ve been working til 1 or so (last night til 1:45) which is kind of getting old. We’ll have to figure something out. Haha. I have some pretty hot bags going on under my eyes today. But we still love blogging! It’s a sickness!

Haha, I used to see people sleeping on the subway and worry about them to the extent that I’d want to wake them up and make sure they didn’t miss their stop. I’m sure they’d just want to punch me for waking them up though. Haha.

Of everything, the amount of blog hits slayed me. I got my 18th follower, and someone I didn’t know, and I was like “NO WAY!”. Hahaha. That’s pretty bad ass.

Oh man, we remember when a friend of ours had 2,000 hits a day and we said “holy cowwww, if we could get 2K a day we’d be set! We could retire!” That’s a famous quote around here, haha. I can totally relate to having ten people reading! We’re pretty sure we blogged to no one at all for the first 100 posts or so. Haha.

Oh my goodness, I can’t even imagine 2K in a day. Haha. It’s all so relative. The 400,000k+ number you guys get I can’t even wrap my head around. That’s what happens for being so darn personable.

Heather, I remember when I got my first (and only) comment from someone I didn’t know. It MADE my night haha. Sherry and John, I found your blog and pintrest over the summer, and I am completely addicted. You guys really make me miss the States and the freedom of decorating my own space. Concrete walls, wallpaper, and furniture owned by your landlord make for a miserable decorating experience!

If you click the little “last” button at the bottom of the page next to all the page numbers it’ll take you to the last page (well, first page I guess). The funny thing is that we just learned the picture in the first post is broken all of a sudden. Have to go fix it. It was originally a pic of the den.

xo

Our new house is only half a mile from our old place (a left turn a little further up the road, versus a right turn not so far up the road), so the temptation was really strong in the beginning, but I don’t think I ever actually made the wrong turn. I used to drive by the old house on my way to work, though, so I still got my fill…but my husband felt the urge to drive by from time to time to check things out (until the third or fourth time, when he realized that it really just looked the same). Interestingly, the “new” owners still send us e-mail every few months to pick up mail they’ve received for us (two years later!).

Too bad bunnies don’t make a sound. If you taught Clara to do the nose wiggle, that would be super-cute, too, though. : )

The crazy thing is John counted them from his desk (the further one) and I counted them from my desk (the closer one) and we both got the same number since my legs are shorter. Haha.

5. Merideth says

when asked what a duck says, my niece used to say “tickle tickle tickle”. i don’t know how she came up with it, but it was cute. also, i love the mind picture i have of clara doing the sloth. video!