House Crashing: Graphic & Fun

When Courtney of Little Glass Box sent us photos of her amazing 105 year old row house in Baltimore, we knew we had to house crash the heck out of her, so here we go. First lets meet the fam (there’s Courtney, her son Olly, and her hubby Ryan):

How funny is that photo? You can already tell their house is going to playful and charming, right? Here’s the dining room, full of geometric pattern and rustic elegance thanks to the mix of the stenciled wall (Ryan did it himself) and the reclaimed wood table (Ryan built it himself). Notice a theme here? Ryan is handy. And guess who’s obsessed with the big wood horse on the table and the white deer head from ZGallerie on the wall? Hint: me.

Here’s the lovely kitchen that overlooks the dining room. The island was scored at Target (for just $75, down from $300!) and the chandelier was from Home Depot (they tweaked it by adding a gray shade). Their counters are concrete to continue Courtney’s love of gray.

And here’s the living room, complete with a fun photo collage flanked by sconces…

… and a pretty vanity (which used to be her mom’s) that Courtney revived and repurposed as a desk. Oh and the curtains are from West Elm (scored on sale).

Their master bedroom is gorgeous too, with more fun patterns and colors coming into play (note: not only is Ryan handy, he’s down with pink and florals – what a guy). The curtains are actually shower curtains and the pink dresser was $50 from craigslist (Courtney painted it Coral Gables from Sherwin Williams). And I have two words about the gold rhino head on the wall: I die.

But easily the most playful and graphic room of the bunch is little Olly’s nursery. See that amazing geometric wall on the right? It’s actually another…

… stencil! Yup, they DIYed that whole thing a stencil and some paint over two months of on and off labor (clarification: Courtney wasn’t in labor for two months, the wall stenciling process was two months of manual labor).

Look how amazing that is! It looks so sweet with their painted four poster crib (how elegant is that by the way- they found it on craigslist) which happens to have a little homemade no-sew crib skirt just like Clara’s. Oh and as for the crib decor, the pillows are removed before bed and the garland has since been relocated (safety first).

Here’s another angle of Olly’s room complete with giant horse art and a big white resin rhino head (from ZGallerie). Yes, I am also obsessed with those. And Courtney found that amazing yellow mantel for just $50 (marked down from $200) so she knew it was perfect for the room.

And because sometimes the details do it for me, I thought I’d leave you with this pretty little tablescape from the kitchen. How sweet is that cheese cutter? Courtney found it at a store in DC called Trohv. Love it.

So a huge thanks goes out to Courtney, Ryan, and Olly for letting us share their gorgeous and oh so creative home. You can check out Courtney’s blog for more photos and info, but first lets play the what’s-your-favorite-part game. I’m obsessed with the wall stencils in the dining room and Olly’s room along with the huge rustic wooden horse on the dining room table. Yes please. Oh and that gold rhino in the bedroom? Saweeeet. And John loves the rustic dining table that Ryan built along with that hilarious cheese cutter. And he wants to know why we don’t have a mustached family photo of our own. Good question indeed.

Psst- Check out all the other houses that we’ve crashed right here.

Ooh la la, he’s a posh little elephant isn’t he? Haha. His elephant friends are so jealous that he gets to live the high life.

1. Kenley says

I LOVE the horse painting in Olly’s room! Do you know where she got it? My girls love horses and would look great in their play room.

2. Jenny B says

Ooooo—so much to love! The stenciled nursery is amazing. I love the painted rhino, antelope (?) and deer on the walls. Where in the world do you find something like that? I’d also like to know what color they used on their living room walls. It looks like butterscotch..cozy. I also love th idea of using shower curtians for regular curtains. I’ve done that before, too. It’s great because you can cut it up the middle, sew (or stitchwitch) the seam and you have 2 panels! Thanks for sharing!

There are so many things I love about this house that it’s hard to narrow it down! My favorite room is definitely their bedroom, and I also really love how they carried the fake taxidermy animals throughout the home. Also love the brightly painted dressers in the nursery and the bedroom. It just looks like a really fun place to live!

4. Briel K. says

I love their room! The colors are so pretty and it looks so inviting. I also love the wooden horse on the table and the horse art in Olly’s room. Yay horsies!

What a great house crash! My favorite photo was the living room – I love the color scheme and especially that warm, inviting wall color. Oh, yeah, and the cheese cutter cracks me up!

6. Jessica says

Love Olly’s room (gray + yellow = fabulous)
    Also, everyone needs a mustached family photo. Obvi.

7. Kim says

Hi – I am loving Olly’s nursery! Would the couple be willing to supply the source for the modern little white rocker in his room? …And, if I can get away with that, then the source of the rocking horse too?

Thanks so much! How beautiful!!!

8. Melissa says

I have those exact shower curtains hanging as drapes in my dressing room!! Love them so much. Obsessed with the coral dresser too!!

All of that hard work paid off..their house looks great! I have a newer home but look forward to purchasing a fixer-upper in the future especially after checking out your blog! I added your blog to my blog list favs!

Sherry – if you’ve never been to Trohv, I think you’d love it! You’re not too far from the DC shop. It’s one of my favorite places ever!

Three cheers for house crashing an older row house! The colors are great, we have a fondness for gray too. The moustache portraits are my favorites.

Do they have radiators? I didn’t see a one, so I’m guessing not. It’s hard to hide those wonderfully efficient beasts.