How To Match Ikea White Paint

It feels like a theme lately to remind you guys that we mentioned that we were going to do fill-in-the-blank a while back and then exclaim that we finally got around to doing it. So this time fill-in-the-blank is finally painting the bedroom finials to match Ed The Bed. See how they’re a bit too white in this pic?

It definitely wasn’t rocket science (not much of what we do around here is, haha) but we wanted to share the super easy process when it comes to matching paint to any existing item of furniture, like if you’re planning to add legs to a painted dresser that you already own for example. The first step is to grab a bunch of white (or whatever color your item is) swatches.

We weren’t brand loyal at all (we wanted to get the widest range of white tones). Then we came home with all of them and held each one up against one of Ed’s posts to see which one almost “disappeared” when we held it up (meaning it was the closest match). The winner was Parchment White by Glidden.

So we got a tiny test pot of it in satin for a few bucks and I prepared to get my paint on. I had saved the cardboard packaging from the guest bedroom mirror that we picked up from Target (large cardboard pieces like that always come in handy since I’m so paint obsessed, and I’ve actually already used it a few times now) so I stuck each finial through the raised part of the packaging so they would “stand up.” That way I could paint all sides of them without worrying about having to touch/smear them to spin them around. And yes, of course I was watching some evening TV while I got ‘er done (The Apprentice if you’re wondering).

The result? Well they look pretty much the same color as Ed.

Oh but we’ve noticed that many items from Ikea vary when it comes to how white they are (for example, some of their white frames are brighter than others) so it’s not necessarily safe to assume that Parchment White by Glidden will be a perfect match to every white Ikea item. But bringing home some swatches, holding them up, and then buying a tiny test pot of the one that blends in the best for a few bucks is a pretty painless process.

The only problem? Little paint projects like this leave me itching to find other small things to paint. What’s wrong with me? It’s a sickness I tell ya.

Comments

1. s leigh says

i have a gallon of antique white from glidden that seems to match everything and look good everywhere.

2. Sadie says

Looks great! What did you think about Nene?? She is crazy with a capital C.

Whew- she went nuts on Star! But I kind of liked it because I imagine that not many people talk to Star that way. I worked with her a while back in my advertising days on a Got Milk shoot and she was a bit, um, less than warm.

• Krystal says

I absolutely love Nene. She tells it like it is, and that doesn’t exclude Star. “When Star had open heart surgery, the doctors forgot to put the heart back in.” Love it!

• Sadie says

Ooh, I love inside scoop like that! Thanks for the juicy details! So maybe Nene isn’t as crazy as they made her out to be. I guess LaToya also said that Star was “backstabby.” haha

My husband thinks I am psychotic because I go on painting binges too. Unfortunately, he doesn’t think home improvements are as awesome as your husband thinks they are! You’re so lucky!

It looks good! Funny how those small things are what keep us from resting in an otherwise perfectly good room. And I have to laugh — “it’s a sickness I tell ya” is definitely becoming a catchphrase with you!

I know. I’m realizing how weird I am more and more every day. Haha. I called my friend and said “you know how you paint one thing and you want to paint a ton of other stuff?” and she said “um, no” – I died laughing.

• kim says

@Sherry – Oh I totally get that! Everytime I get out my can of oil rubbed bronze spray paint, my s
      son yells “Hide yo’ kids! Hide yo’ wife!” because he claims the more I paint, well…the more I paint.

I wonder – does Ikea sell cans of the stain colors they use for touch-ups? I’ve been there a thousand times and never thought about it…

• Charles says

I’ve never seen white touch up supplies at Ikea but I have seen other actual stains there. I bought the BlackBrown one to make a little project match the night stand of the same stain…worked pretty well. I’ve done little touch-ups of scratches and stuff with those stain pens with pretty good results too.

Looks awesome… and although you make it sound so simple… there is really a process to it all.

I love this post… and it makes me want to go paint something!

looks very good! Sometimes I have that itch to paint things too! I want to try a mini project like you’ve done and paint the back of a bookcase. I’m trying to decide between a solid color and pattern – chevron stripes?

I am breathing a sigh of relief for you. I finially finished ottomans that I reupholstered weeks ago this morning. All I had to do was add backing to hide the tufting and I JUST got around to it. What is MY problem? But now that it is done, I feel like that project isn’t haunting me anymore and I can move on.

A little tip from one paint enthusiast to another: I collect the sample paint mistints. I have never seen them above $.50. For that much paint, it is a GREAT price. While they are of virtually no use when it comes to touching up furniture like your post, I use them for painting large canvases–I studied art, too!– that I like to hang around my house…..and now my secret is out.

Chris Loves Julia

I’m dying to paint the dining room but I have to get John amped up for it. Haha. He’s so sore from the patio it might take some work to convince him…

9. Kristie says

Thanks for such a timely post! I have a Stratton Bed from Pottery Barn that my Pup’s paws had a scratch-fest with while he was running doggy marathons in his sleep. PB’s touch up kits received crummy feedback on the website so I’m going to pickup a boat load of white swatches and have at it!!