New House, New Color Scheme

We’re thinking of moving away from the soft, subtle, and beachy whole-house color scheme that we have going on here and towards something more moody, risky, and sophisticated at the new house. Here’s hoping it works for us (you never know… and we’re the first to admit that sometimes we end up repainting). We’re definitely no strangers to covering our mistakes with another coat or two of something new if we don’t like how things look when we step back and check things out (after sharing the “outtake” pics with you guys of course). So it might take us a few tries to settle on a scheme we love, but right now we’re considering something along these lines:

We haven’t pulled any swatches yet (but we’ll be sure to share actual paint colors when we get there), but right now we’re loving eggplant, soft lavender-pink, slate blue, light gray, avocado green, saturated teal, muddy blue-gray, navy, emerald, artichoke green, chocolate brown, and light khaki. Not all on the walls of course, but also in the curtains, rugs, painted and upholstered furnishings, art, and accessories. Although we’re definitely planning to add pops of different accent colors in a much wider range of tones- these are just the bigger hues that we plan to use more liberally throughout the house for something that’s hopefully cohesive but not too repetitive.

We’re thinking that the overall effect of the colors/decor in our new house will still be semi airy & natural (it’s what we love, what can we say?), but we hope that adding more contrast, more saturated hues, and even more layers of texture (by working in some new furnishings, a few new rugs, more colorful art, and new fabrics galore) will give it a bit more zing than our current soft and subtle vibe. We’re also envisioning a switch from our beloved breezy white curtain panels to printed and saturated floor length drapes in every room of the new house along with a plush upholstered headboard in the master and even some wallpaper going on in a few places. And we’re thinking that a darker sectional would be a fun departure from the light slipcovered sofas you’re used to seeing in our spaces (we’ll craigslist them to get some moolah to put towards the new sectional, since it has pretty much been my life goal to have a big enough living room for a sectional where all of our family can gather).

We’re even thinking about repainting some of our white pedestal tables and our double desk with something smokier and more dramatic. To see a few mood boards we’ve envisioned for the new house, click here and here. Although we’re already thinking about a different bed possibility (we’d like to build one along with a DIY headboard). Who knows where we’ll end up.

What color schemes are floating around your heads these days? Anyone else feeling a shift from light tans and mochas to soft grays and even artichoke, slate blue, and deeper gray-green tones? Anyone going the opposite way and segueing into more breezy and light hues as opposed to the smokier and more high contrast ones that we’ve mentioned? Let’s talk about color. Is there really anything else in the world that’s more fun to discuss? Not to me. Except for my baby girl. I can bore you to tears with stories about her but I’ll save that for my weekly phone call with my mom…

1. Shadi says

After 8 years of living w/ a horrible peachy tan (gag!) I finally repainted our large family/living room and hallways in a gorgeous medium tone gray, Porpoise and a lighter Gentle Rain by Behr. We have a large art collection and they all came to life against these grays not to mention making the rooms look crisp, clean and airy.

I had also planned on painting out all of the trim work and the two large windows but they now look gorgeous against the new wall colors. Accent colors are orange and slate blue when the room is clean and every color in the rainbow when my two little girls have their toys out! :-)

I’m dreaming about our master bedroom right now. Currently, it’s a golden brown color called Cracker Bitz and we have deep red bedding. Problem is we have no overhead light in that room, so it starts to feel small and dark at night. I’m obsessing over pure white linens and a light tan/dark cream paint color to lighten and brighten and balance the dark wood furniture.

3. keri says

my bedroom is eggplant and grey, with pops of mustard…and nice dark wood furniture. plus some nice elegant silver accents. it’s luxe, i love it :)

4. Brittany says

Great color pallette! In my next house I intend to paint the walls in lighter colors and accent in richer, more saturated colors that will probably change with the seasons (i.e., lighter in spring and summer to darker in fall and winter). In our current house we have richer, darker colors on the walls. I can’t wait to see how you pull it off.

5. dd says

Honestly, I’m not in love with the new color scheme because it feels wintry and christmassy to me and I’m not sure how well it would work in the summer. But I’m glad you are branching out – it’s important to keep trying new things. I might end up loving it.

And I’m excited to see you try out wallpaper!!

6. Loren says

Fantastic. I love the look of your home, but personally I’ve always been a ‘saturated colors’ girl. I am loving the plum/gray combo can’t wait to see what you do with it.

On a side note, I always find myself buying things (mostly clothing) with a darker color scheme in the fall and winter. I’ll go for the plums, turquoise, dark grays. But a lighter color scheme in the spring/summer, (yellow, red, baby blue). Do you think your new color scheme has been affected by the season you are moving during? Or have you been planning this change for a while?

Hey Loren and Lindsay,

We totally could be subconsciously swayed by the cozy winter season around the corner! We’re loving some deeper tones but to keep things balanced and not too dark and wintry we hope to bring in light linens in a dark saturated bedroom or opt for lighter rugs or curtains in deeper walled living spaces. But we’re new at the dark wall thing so who knows how it’ll work out. And we’re definitely going to bring in lighter wall colors in other rooms to keep things from tipping too far from airy and open (since we love that look too). And our accessories can be light and bright to keep things feeling cheerful as opposed to heavy.

7. Lindsay says

I absolutely love these colors, but I have one comment/question. Do you think that these will translate into a “Springy” and “Summery” look and feel when those seasons are upon us? I am sure that you will change/update/swap accessories with the seasons, so that will probably do the trick…but I was just wondering what you thought. : )