New House, New Color Scheme

We’re thinking of moving away from the soft, subtle, and beachy whole-house color scheme that we have going on here and towards something more moody, risky, and sophisticated at the new house. Here’s hoping it works for us (you never know… and we’re the first to admit that sometimes we end up repainting). We’re definitely no strangers to covering our mistakes with another coat or two of something new if we don’t like how things look when we step back and check things out (after sharing the “outtake” pics with you guys of course). So it might take us a few tries to settle on a scheme we love, but right now we’re considering something along these lines:

We haven’t pulled any swatches yet (but we’ll be sure to share actual paint colors when we get there), but right now we’re loving eggplant, soft lavender-pink, slate blue, light gray, avocado green, saturated teal, muddy blue-gray, navy, emerald, artichoke green, chocolate brown, and light khaki. Not all on the walls of course, but also in the curtains, rugs, painted and upholstered furnishings, art, and accessories. Although we’re definitely planning to add pops of different accent colors in a much wider range of tones- these are just the bigger hues that we plan to use more liberally throughout the house for something that’s hopefully cohesive but not too repetitive.

We’re thinking that the overall effect of the colors/decor in our new house will still be semi airy & natural (it’s what we love, what can we say?), but we hope that adding more contrast, more saturated hues, and even more layers of texture (by working in some new furnishings, a few new rugs, more colorful art, and new fabrics galore) will give it a bit more zing than our current soft and subtle vibe. We’re also envisioning a switch from our beloved breezy white curtain panels to printed and saturated floor length drapes in every room of the new house along with a plush upholstered headboard in the master and even some wallpaper going on in a few places. And we’re thinking that a darker sectional would be a fun departure from the light slipcovered sofas you’re used to seeing in our spaces (we’ll craigslist them to get some moolah to put towards the new sectional, since it has pretty much been my life goal to have a big enough living room for a sectional where all of our family can gather).

We’re even thinking about repainting some of our white pedestal tables and our double desk with something smokier and more dramatic. To see a few mood boards we’ve envisioned for the new house, click here and here. Although we’re already thinking about a different bed possibility (we’d like to build one along with a DIY headboard). Who knows where we’ll end up.

What color schemes are floating around your heads these days? Anyone else feeling a shift from light tans and mochas to soft grays and even artichoke, slate blue, and deeper gray-green tones? Anyone going the opposite way and segueing into more breezy and light hues as opposed to the smokier and more high contrast ones that we’ve mentioned? Let’s talk about color. Is there really anything else in the world that’s more fun to discuss? Not to me. Except for my baby girl. I can bore you to tears with stories about her but I’ll save that for my weekly phone call with my mom…

Comments

1. Jamie B says

I wish you would move in already…I want to see projects! It just hasnt been as exciting to follow lately…;( SO HURRY INTO THAT HOUSE!

I think this is a great idea! I have used BM Hale Navy and Ralph Lauren Reflecting Pool (a very deep teal) in my home, and can say that both of these colors make me deliriously happy. Can’t wait to see the new place in person, let the painting begin!

3. Kelsey says

I am in love with grey tones lately. Our great room has very high ceilings and we painted the walls “Thunder Grey”, a blue-green-grey. I think it’s from Lowe’s Seaside Retreat (Cottage?) collection and it’s a great color and changes subtly throughout the day with the light.

4. Jodi says

My house is painted entirely (except the kids bedrooms and guest room) in Amherst Gray…a creamy but deep gray. I LOVE the dark color especially as it changes in light. I use different colors to pop…lime green, purples, etc, and lots of natural woods/white furniture and woodwork. I was hesitant at first to do so dark (my first house had the “beachy” pale tones) but I love the drama of the darker richer color and what I can do with it. Oh and it looks awesome with pops of red around the holidays

5. Kara says

We had an entire house of tan, light yellow and white and after looking at it!! Our couches, carpet and walls were all varying layers of those colors and it just looked a lot more washed out that I thought when I put it together.

We just redid our bedroom, the guest room/office and nursery (we’re adopting this winter!) over the last year in cooler colors with pops of black, white and saturated colors as accents – red in our bedroom and the nursery, blue in the guest room.

And we’re about to overhaul the living room with an addition and when we do the khaki walls will be repainted in a light blue or grey and there will be COLOR – bright, rich color – everywhere in accessories, pictures, pillows etc. I am so over the “blah”!

I love this blog!

6. Annie says

Sherry, what’s the trim situation in the new house? Old wood, I’m assuming? Are you going to paint it or restore it?

Hey Annie,

There is some white trim and some dark wood trim, paneling, and beams. We’re definitely planning to paint it (we like what we like) but we might not always paint it white. Time will tell…

7. Ashlye says

yay for color! i would love to see y’alls next house have a lot more color!! I feel that for us people, it’s hard to keep a house looking that perfect. color on the walls would definitely make it look like a home :)

oooh the dark colors scare me, but I’m sure whatever you guys do will end up fabulous. I hope you lean towards the grays and punch it up with some bright colors. Maybe that will be more risque than painting your walls plum! Cant wait to see all your new projects!!

Love that you’re going for it. My husband was so sick of all my blue and green rooms in our house. He wanted an orange dining room. I agreed with the intention of changing it later. We loved it so much that we extended that orange into the kitchen when we remodeled it.

10. Tori says

I think our paths are crossing in opposite directions. We just moved into our second house. In our first house, we were excited to escape from apartment-white walls so we went wild with color and fabric. Now, in our new house, we’ve had enough color excitement and have gone with a completely neutral palate of creme, soft green, and light khaki. The latter two are RH’s sycamore green and cafe au lait which I heart alot.

Can you please address an unrelated question? You two are so design savvy so I am sure there is an easy solution; however, I’ve been unable to find it! Here goes: when “floating” furniture in a room – for example, sofa away from a wall with side or console table flanking it – where in the holy hell do you put your lighting? If lamps are in their rightful home on the tables near the floating sofa/chairs, wont cords be tripping people left and right?! Thanks!

That’s always a challenge. Fancy designers get the floors wired with outlets so the cords can plug in right under the side tables without being a tripping hazard. But we’re not that fancy. We plan to bring in a sofa table behind the sectional and will probably place two lamps on that (since no one will be walking behind the sectional, even though it’ll float a bit away from the wall we figure it won’t be much of a tripping hazard. At least we hope not. We’ll share pics and stuff when we tackle it, even if we fail miserably!

11. Meg says

A little moodier maybe but still so natural/earthy (even your color names: artichoke/avocado green, eggplant)… Love it! Can’t wait to see it in action.