John’s Bee-Day Gift

Yesterday was my sweet hubby’s birthday so I figured I should share what Clara, Burger and I got him. John and I have recently been talking about how we’d love to amass more “real art” to complement all the DIY stuff that we have framed on every wall. This goal is definitely inspired by our friends Matt and Kristin – who we House Crashed here and here. The cheerful original art that lights up their home always has us jonesing to add more color and fun to our walls. So consider this painting to be the beginning of an exciting little collection that will happily hang in the new house:

It’s a 12 x 12″ original oil painting on canvas done by an amazing Etsy artist named Roz (to the tune of $75). And the moment I laid eyes on it I knew it was perfect. See, John and I actually worked bees into our wedding invitation (which you can check out here) so we’ve always considered them to be our animal- er, insect. And the fact that there are two of them galavanting around the canvas together makes it even easier to see as a symbol of our relationship. My man gives me a buzz, what can I say. Ok, enough cheese. Hubby loves it. So glad.

Comments

Yall are so cute! My Bday was on the 8th. Happy Bee-day John. Sherry you think of everything it seems!

Lynn
    mycreativityunleashed.blogspot.com

That’s actually quite a fun piece. I love the texture with oil on canvas! My husband and I are looking to dress up our walls as well, I’ll definitely give Roz a visit on Etsy!
    LOVE EtSY! :)

Happy Birthday to John.

3. Agent Scully says

Original art, I love and loath thee. I have many framed photos, but I would love, love, love to have art covering my walls. However, since my style tends to draw me towards Picasso and the early works of Pollock (not the splatter) I doubt I will ever own any real art.

Unless, of course, a hitherto unknown rich uncle leaves me his vast fortune.

4. Lindsey d. says

Awesome! I, too, just got my first “real” work of art. It’s a 4 ft. x 3 ft. painting of an abstracted saxophone with fabulous blues, greens and purples.

Even better is the back story. I bought the painting at Louisiana State Penitentiary (better known as Angola Prison). Every year in October, the prison holds an inmate rodeo. Inmates ride, rope, etc., in the rodeo and outside, other inmates sell what they call “hobby crafts,” which can be anything from leather belts and furniture made from kits to incredible art.

You barter and deal with the inmates themselves to decide on a price, although civilians handle the money transactions. My painting was created by an inmate who is serving a life term for armed robbery.

That is the cutest thing I’ve ever heard! I love that you have a symbol **sighs** Actually you guys really are busy bees! I love the color palette, bright, complimentary and cheerful! Good job on a thoughtful gift that everyone will get to enjoy!
    xo
    Mindy

Happy 1-day-late birthday, John!

Sherry–why don’t you paint something for John next time?!

I LOVE art.

The only original art we own is a painting that my husband’s cousin did (it’s definitely a man painting) and a few that I did in high school. I wish we had more!!!

I was thinking about getting my mitts on some oil paint soon. But I had to spring for something “professional” for John’s b-day. I can mess around with my own attempts when there’s less pressure- haha.

Very cute! Happy birthday, John:) Bee’s a a very cute theme:) My art theme are pudgy lil elephants in my livingroom and frogs on the porch:)

Sherry,
    I hear oil painting is a easy peasy once you start…I am taking a class at the Hobby Lobby in my area in early January:) This should be interesting. haha!

Ooh, your Hobby Lobby class sounds fun! I actually used to work with oil paint all the time (it was one of my favorite mediums up there with watercolor and clay sculpture) but I definitely feel rusty. It’s been nearly 8 years since art school!