Reader Redesign: Dresser Deja Vu

When our own before picture popped up in our inbox, we couldn’t help but do a double-take. It actually wasn’t our photo at all, but a beautiful dresser re-do that Desiree performed on the same piece that we scored and refinished for Clara’s nursery a few months back. Small world, eh? Here’s Desiree’s letter:

Technically this isn’t a Reader Redesign since you’ve already done it – perhaps it’s more of an homage? At any rate, I just wanted you to know that I followed your tutorial to a ‘T’ and then some! I was looking for a dresser for our guest bedroom and when I found one identical to the one that you redid for your nursery, I jumped on it because I knew that re-finishing it would be a breeze.

I wish I only paid $20 for mine like you guys, but everything is more expensive in the big city – even on Craigslist! I give y’all major credit, because I definitely couldn’t have done it without your tutorial… and because I think you’re kinda awesome! – Desiree

Well, right back atcha Desiree. We think your new piece is pretty darn cool (although it’s kinda trippy to see Clara’s changing table in someone else’s house!). It’s nice to know that the dresser looks just as good in a slightly lighter stain, and it definitely works in a room other than a nursery. Great job! Everyone, be sure to head over to Desiree’s blog to see more of the transformation process (not to mention how well it matches the rest of the room). Thanks for sending the eye candy our way Desiree!

What about you guys? Have you taken on any furniture makeovers as of late? Or found any amazing pieces on Craigslist that you just had to have? Do tell.

Wow, small world! Who’d of thunk you’d have gotten your dresser emailed to you…again…by somebody else?!? Weird! I don’t think I’ve ever really considered “mid-century modern” looks until you re-did this dresser. It’s so fun to see it popping up elsewhere!! Desiree did a great job!!

I’m about to re-do a dresser by using your tutorial. Just need to find the time (there is a picture of it in its current state on the most recent post on our blog).

I think Desiree did a great job! I live in Dallas like she does, and there’s a big demand for mid century furniture here. I’m struggling to find a similar dresser to yours for under $250 on Craigslist. However, both posts have given me the courage to attempt some refinishing myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Wow, what are the odds she’d find a dresser just like Clara’s? Excellent redo.

For my daughter’s first (mostly) solo make over, she took a 4 foot wide elaborately ornate gold mirror and did it in aqua. It turned out to be a true show stopper.

5. Elsie says

Desiree – great job, it looks gorgeous!

Sherry & John – I found a midcentury modern sidetable curbside last week and hauled it into my minivan and then into my garage. While I haven’t taken on the project yet, I just wanted to say thank you for the tutorial and of course, the inspiration!

6. Andrea P says

I am tres jealous she found that dresser! What a beautiful job she did :)

Sherry, along the lines of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery….can you recommend a great organic everyday body lotion? I need a new one…
    Thanks :)

Andrea P, we like Dr. Bronner’s lotion but when it’s hard to find we sometimes snag the J.R. Watkins stuff from Target. Hope one of those works for ya!

My hubby and I own a dresser similar to the one shown. When we first bought it we had plan on sanding it down restain it etc but now we have grown to love the distress look it has. Since purchasing that dresser I have become addict to that era of furniture.

8. Aleah says

That looks great!!

Recently I transformed a very standard (read: cheap) Ikea media stand into something with some charm. The light colored wood didn’t match a thing in our house and the boxy style didnt go either, so I took a saw to the legs, painted the thing white and added new legs. It looks great now and fits the motif! You guys are very inspiring!