Reader Redesign: Makeover Magic

When Bonnie sent us her charming kitchen before and after pictures we just had to share the goods. Here’s her letter:

I’ve been enjoying YHL for the last year. My husband and I bought my grandparents home this past November and have had so much fun renovating it! We turned the place upside down and within about five weeks we got this outcome. We were on a really tight budget, so most everything is from Ikea, thrifted or made by us. We drew tons of inspiration from Young House Love and referred to your ‘how to’s’ quite often! My readers really enjoyed our kitchen before & afters, so I thought you might like to see them too! And you can find more info on my blog (and see more photos too). We live in Franklin, NC, somewhat close to Virginia! We love the south and we love all the inspiration you provide, so thank you! -Bonnie

Here’s Bonnie’s dated kitchen before:

And here it is after her totally affordable DIY transformation:

Isn’t that lovely? We adore how light and airy it feels (even with the same appliances and cabinets). And that eating nook is fantastic- along with that heartstoppingly beautiful turquoise stove nearby. Plus all the charming touches like the art and accessories really make it feel even more inviting and airy in there. Oh and here’s a handy source list from Bonnie:

Didn’t Bonnie do a great job? We love her work-with-what-you’ve-got spirit. She certainly saved a pretty penny by keeping those cabinets and appliances while opting to switch out the counters (for affordable Ikea options). Plus all of her thoughtful accessorizing really took the entire space to the next level. Gotta love major makeovers like these that don’t require tons of gutting and spending. What do you guys think? Any favorite items like that great round pendant above the table or those sweet homemade curtains above the sink? Do tell.

1. Kate says

I think they did a great job! One question – where is the table from? I love it! I’d be interested to know if it was bought new, repurposed from the house, or a Craigslist find. (It might mention it on the blog but I went back several pages and wasn’t able to find the post).

hi everyone! so excited to share this with you today, thank you so much sherry & john!

@kate: the table was a (very) lucky find at an antique action- we snagged it for $250!

@laura: the floors were affordable! and, though they aren’t tile, they sure do look like it- and boy are they easy to lay (we’re talking one afternoon, here). they also hide dirt and bread crumbs like a champ. we got them at our local lowe’s store- here’s the link!

3. Sarah says

Very nice! I especially like the shelves flanked by the two tall shelving units. Very cool. And she has the owl teapot set from Anthropologie! Awesome.

That is such a great makeover! The kitchen is super cute (love those butcher block counter tops), but let me just say this: that turquoise stove completely steals the show. I’m in LOVE with it. Did you paint it that color, Bonnie? It’s so unexpected, but perfect!

5. Loren says

LOVE the breakfast nook. With serious lusting, ‘I’d like to eat there every morning, wonder if I could I could fit that into my tiny kitchen’ love. Looks wonderful.

6. Denise says

Bonnie, I enjoyed visiting your blog and think it’s wonderful that you are renovating the house that once belonged to your grandparents. We live in an old farmhouse in Bryson City, NC that’s not too far from Franklin. Great job on the kitchen!

Amazing job! I love the penguins on the shelf, so cute! The entire room is so bright, love it!

this is off topic, but I just want to say I love the name Clara you picked out for your baby girl, so classic! =) We recently moved to VA Beach a little over two months ago. We are officially Virginians! haha