Reader Redesign: Door Decor

When one of our favorite super busy DIY moms (she gives me hope!) sent over some photos of her kitchen’s recent door makeover we couldn’t wait to share the goods. Here’s her letter:

Hi, guys! Sam and I just finished up our kitchen door project and I was wondering if you thought it might make a fun Reader Redesign. We only spent $35 on it, so I thought it was right up the YHL alley. Everyone can check out the step by step process here and here on my blog. Basically we just applied black chalkboard paint to our flat metal kitchen door and trimmed it out with some lightweight boards (which we had to screw into the door to hold them securely and keep them from buckling). We love that it mimics the look of an expensive solid wood paneled door. Hope you and the bean are feeling well, Sherry! -Jacci

Here’s what the basic metal door looked like before Jacci worked her magic:

Here it is in progress:

And here’s the very same door after spending just $35 to give it a whole new life:

Isn’t that amazingly industrious of Jacci and her husband Sam? Don’t forget to head over to her blog for more details (you can find those links in her letter above). We just love that she was inspired by the look of a solid wood paneled door and was able to work with what she had to totally transform it (and add lots of charm and function to her entire kitchen while she was at it). Thanks so much for sending the eye candy our way guys! Is anyone else out there thinking of tackling this little project now that they’ve seen Sam and Jacci’s brilliant door makeover?

Comments

1. Valerie says

What a great idea for little kids!

I just painted my kitchen cabinets white. Your guide is awesome. I also just scored a really good deal on backsplash tiles that I adore – mini pale pale blue glass subway tiles. I planned to use BM’s Quiet Moments, but I am finding the that the tile and the paint swatch are too close in shade. Plus blue on blue… I dunno. What color would you recommend for the walls? I think I’m way overthinking this…

V

How about sliding up a swatch to the light and lovely Healing Aloe? It’s still a gorgeous greeny-blue tone, but it has a smidge more green in it and it’s lighter so it should really set off the tiles. Hope it helps!

2. Valerie says

Sherry,

That’s what I was thinking too. I just needed you to hold my hand through it. Thank you! :-)

You guys are so great :) I just popped in to see what was going on and lookey here! It’s my kitchen! :) Thanks so much for sharing our door – it’s been my #1 favorite change in the kitchen by far. The kids all LOVE it and it’s been super practical. We use it for everything from Spanish lessons to keeping Little Dude in sight while I whip up dinner. We love it!

Hugs and kisses all over the place,
    Jacci

4. misty says

LOVE IT! and since it is on a metal door, it is also a magnet board too! break out the alphabet letters! :)

5. Jennifer says

Valerie.. Where did you find your deal on glass blue tile?? I’m looking for that for my bathroom.. it all seems a little pricey. help! What do you think of ordering tile online??

LOVE the chalkboard door.. I especially like the added depth :)

It’s Erin from YAYDIY.com. This is such a smart idea! What a great way to write reminder notes, or to do lists.. or clearly, something much more educational like she has here! I’m going to try this on one of the doors in my our new apartment… Maybe on pantry? I just love it!

Erin
    YAYDIY.com

Oh, yes, please do share where you got the blue bathroom tile… I’ve been searching for some (on the cheap, why I’m having problems….) for a mosiac backsplash that I want to make… I can’t decide if a red/orange yellow them or a blue theme will look best in our new kitchen….
    Thanks for the help!!!!
    Erin
    yaydiy.com

I’m not sure where, but we’ve got to find a way to incorporate the use of chalkboard paint into our new home. I love love love it!