Making A Homemade Calendar (Free Printable Included)

It’s (already!) the beginning of February so it’s about time we actually got our act together and replaced our still-pitifully-displaying-December calendar in the kitchen. And this year John actually wanted to DIY one. Isn’t he industrious? His big calendar concept: to pick out a bunch of our favorite “inside joke” quotes and slap them on top of a long skinny white numbered page so we’d get a little private chuckle every time we checked out the date or penciled in an appointment. Cute huh?

He actually said it was going to be a secret V-day present for me but since February 14th is a few weeks off (and we both felt like bigtime slackers every time we looked at the expired oh-nine calendar) he shared his idea so we could do it together on the last weekend of January. And thanks to it already practically being February, we only needed eleven quotes and we were able to quickly whip up a simple little calendar template in Photoshop (we just adjusted the dates and the hues along with the quote to get all of the months churned out in under an hour).

And the good news is that you probably don’t need a fancy program like Photoshop or Illustrator to make one yourself. You might be able to create something sweet and simple in Powerpoint or even Microsoft Word. Oh and the font is called League Gothic and we got it for free from this site that How About Orange suggested. Easy, peasy.

Then we just printed each page out on regular sheets of 8.5 x 11″ cardstock that we had on hand (100 lb weight, which you can grab at Office Max or Staples and run through any regular inkjet printer). We were sure to include thin gray lines so we knew where to cut them to create nice long strips out of the previously-standard-sized page. Burger served as my inspiration as I cut them all out in front of the TV…

Then we just popped a hole in the top of each of ’em so we could slip them onto the small wire 3M Command hook that we have in the kitchen as our designated calendar hanging device (it’s 100% removable so it won’t damage our side-of-the-fridge built-in if we ever want to move it or take it down).

So here’s our 100% free homemade calendar hanging proudly in the kitchen. We love how customized it feels and how much it makes us smile whenever we read each personalized phrase that we thoughtfully chose to represent each month. For example, we often tell Burger “no biting, just kisses” when he does those little no-pressure puppy nibbles that wouldn’t hurt a fly. As soon as we utter the phrase we get hand licks instead of fake bites. So cute. And of course we designated that as the February quote since V-day is all about kisses, and I guess it’s sort of anti-biting (since that’s hardly the sweet thing to do to those you love).

Everything from random song lyrics that crack us up to our short (but oh so memorable) wedding vows made the calendar- and of course that one was slapped on July since that’s our anniversary month.

It was a simple project but it was surprisingly fun to put together. Like a walk down memory lane that we get to rewalk every time we glance at the kitchen calendar. And you can’t beat the zero dollar price tag. So what about you guys? Do you order calendars with custom family photos from places like Kodak and Flickr? Do you buy them for 50% off after Christmas at bookstores or boutiques? Or do you use your iPhone or your computer so much that a paper calendar is virtually useless? Spill the what-date-is-it beans.

Update: Thanks to a slew of very kind (and unexpected) requests, we’ve created a free zipped template of our calendar that you can download and customize with your very own quotes for each month. Please note that you must have Photoshop to open the PSD and edit the type layers (or use a free open source like GIMP). You also may need to download the font that we used right here (it’s also free). Oh and each month is a different layer, so remember to hide and show each one to print every month’s page. We hope it helps! Who knew so many others still needed a 2010 calendar?!

Comments

1. Lauren says

I was a little late with my calendar-as-a-gift this year, but while I was home for Christmas and New Years I took a ton of pictures. My parents live on a golf course in Florida now and there are the most amazing sunsets every night with the sun reflecting on the lakes…so I went out every night and took a bunch of pictures! I sent them a calendar about two weeks into January and one went to my sister, who used it to brighten her work cubicle in New York :)

2. amelia says

um…love it! i honestly think you two could sell these (possibly using more general quotes then your personal ones) – seriously! and is that really just 8 1/2 x 11 paper? it looks longer? oh, and in response to what we do for our calendars – its sorta our tradition that my mom gets us our new year’s calendar every christmas. It’s a fun tradition and we’re always eager to see what she picked out for us (this year was a calendar with funny dog pictures and quotes).

Aw Amelia, you’re too kind. Yup, it’s just standard sized 8.5 x 11″ cardstock, but it’s amazing how much longer it looks when you chop off the sides!

3. amyks says

WoW! i get to be the first to comment…For the last three years I have been making calendars using shutterfly. My husband and I have been taking at least a picture a day of each one of our three kids since they were born(crazy, I know), anyway, I go through month to month and pick out cute, interesting, silly, etc. pics and put them in the corresponding months. It has become like a scrapbook and we have fun talking about the memories. I also make extra copies for the grandparents, they love them(esp. my parents as we live far from them). It has become a great new year’s gift.I get them when it is buy 1, get the rest for 50% off.

4. Jen says

My husband and I make about 6 personalized photo calendars for our family as Christmas gifts (shutterfly). We have 2 kids and nieces and nephews, so it’s nice to have photos from the past year that Grandparents can keep year after year as sort of a “yearbook” of the grandchildren as they grow up. We love picking out our favourite photos from the year to do it.

5. Christin says

You guys just come up with the neatest ideas! It’s so cute and personalized and uber-easy. My hubby and I use a joint google calendar so all of our appointments and various activities are all on a calendar that’s easy to update via computer or phone. (We currently can’t update it via phone yet… but soon we’ll both have iPhones and it’ll be oh so awesome!) Thanks for the idea for the calendar!

That’s a line from a Lady Gaga song that we can’t stop singing to each other. So a phone call from John goes something like this:

John- Hey Sher, just got your message to call you back. What’s up?
      Sherry- AND THEN HE ATE MY BRAINNNNNNNN!

Good times. It’s still endlessly amusing. We’re weird, huh?

Every year my sister in law makes calendars for my parents. She puts a little thumbnail picture of each person on their birthday. I kind of rely on electronic devices, but I want to ask her for one of her calendars because I am terrible about remembering birthdays!

I really really like that idea. It’s pretty great how we now have so much power to DIY things like this!

Beautiful! So simple and classy!

I wanted more space to write in my calendar (I do menu planning etc. right on it) so I actually took a free calendar we got from a dept. store and printed out my own grid which I… prepare for the classiness… stapled right on the pages from the apartment store calendar (which had the month written nice and big at the top, but all the space in each month was taken up with pictures of things to buy). I end up having almost two full 8 1/2 by 11 ” grids to write in, and it doesn’t look quite as bad as it sounds. :) Maybe I’ll be even more adventurous next year and design something from scratch on the computer! I like the card stock idea!

8. candace says

This is an adorable project and (hopeyoudon’tmind) totally something I’d love to copy!! How creative – thank you so much for this post!

9. LauraC says

Love it! So cute! We usually get a calender from family – sometimes personalized, sometimes not (but locally made with a local business flavor). I MUST have a calendar in the kitchen. Don’t know if it’s just a that’s-the-way-it-was-growing-up thing, or what, but even though I use Outlook and other electronic calendars, nothing replaces my good old-fashioned paper one!

10. Sonya says

I love little creative DIY things like this- so cute! And I laughed when I saw the first few quotes at the top- the “I do what I want” is a “inside joke” quote that my hubby and I say to each other too!

11. cbr says

“I do what I want” is one of our inside jokes, too! Cute. And, of course, “Do it” a la Ben Stiller in Dodgeball…