Feeling Resolute

Happeeeeeeee New Year!!!

And now that I’ve gotten that out of my system, on to the topic of the day: New Year’s Resolutions. Do you make them? Do you loathe them? John and I have embraced the tradition for a while now (here’s our New Year’s post from last year, and thankfully we each accomplished our goal in the last 365 days). We’ll spare you all of the new personal “improvements” that we’re planning to tackle in twenty-ten, but we do have a couple of home/blog related resolutions on our list this year.

I, for one, want to simplify day to day life. From replacing three store bought products with one homemade cleaner that does it all to adjusting to life with a little one by streamlining the way our house functions, I’m all about easy upgrades and smart switcheroos for the next twelve months. John on the other hand has resolved to seriously supe up the site. Nothing too techie and weird, just improved function and usability so you guys can find things more easily and click around to your heart’s content. He’s such a guy isn’t he? But I guess in our own way we want to add function and ease.

Anyway, enough about us. We wanna know what you’re setting your mind to this year- especially if it’s home related. And who knows, maybe commenting here for all to see will help you stick to your guns and accomplish your goals in record time. Here’s hoping it works for us…

Psst- Wanna know what we were up to on New Year’s Day two years ago? Spoiler alert: we were on our way to Ikea. Here’s the full scoop.

Comments

1. Rachel says

My resolution is to finally figure out whether you’re having a boy or a girl!! Come on already, you’re killing us with all this waiting!!

p.s. I feel certain the little bean is a boy, so I don’t know why I’m anxious to hear…but still…

Jess- Check out this post full of homemade cleaning recipes that we’re itching to use regularly in 2010. Hope it helps!

Rachel- You won’t have to wait much longer- we’re revealing whether we’re pink or blue on Monday!

2. Ashley says

Our big resolution is for our marriage to make it though our big kitchen/family room/powder room/entry way reno. We are doing all new floors, a new vanity and countertop in the powder room, new stair railings, new paint, new window coverings in the family room and kitchen, and new cabinets and countertops! We are going with Ikea cabinets so we are still comtemplating DIY but I’m not sure our marriage could handle that haha! We have already worked on steamlining our house and decluttering in 09. Oh, and if we are still a glutton for punishment, we might tackle a slight bathroom makeover in our guest bathroom..a new vanity, new floor, new paint, and new hardware. We shall see!

I’m calling them “Intentions for 2010.” Somehow takes the Resolution stigma away. I have a few (lose 20 lbs, etc), but the homemade cleaner is definitely one of them. Thanks for reminding me. I had soooo many intentions that I must have thought I was done after “remember to take vitamins every day.”

Happy YOUNG New Year!! My ‘housetweaking’ goals for 2010 include upgrading our kitchen countertops and adding a backsplash. Also want to get my laundry room organized. After that… saving $$ for new floors! The floors may not be completed in 2010 but definitely want to save the $$ for them.

My biggest resolution is to support my local economy and to cook food using local produce and ingredients and to support local restaurants that do the same.

P.S. Sherry – I dreamed last night that I was spending NYE with you guys when I realized I was wasted on Patron and 4 months pregnant! Ha! Can’t wait to see what the year brings at YHL. xo!

Wow Kathleen- that’s a crazy dream! Although being pregnant I’ve been known to have some insane dreams of my own (like the one where our baby was able to hold my finger when I put it on my belly from inside my womb). Yikes!

Happy New Year to your whole (growing) family! :) I’m not much for yearly resolutions anymore, but I do always make a list of things that I want to do each year – usually trying new hobbies & visiting certain places. :)

Our house turns 100 this year, so the plan is to completely gut the kitchen, dining and living room and put it all back together again in time for a big centennial b-day bash this summer!

8. Jill says

I’m resolved to figure out where and how we spend our money so we can create a budget. We also need to decorate a nursery for our baby (due in May) so I will be looking to you for advice on that front!

This new year, I am going to encourage my husband to become a regular reader of your blog. I’m hoping it will inspire him to tackle some DIY projects around the house :) It may help if you throw in a few sports-related titles to lure him into reading!
    Happy New Year!!

10. Tiffany says

We hope to move in mid- to late- 2010 so I hope to clean out, clear out and organize in early 2010. I also hope/plan to try one new recipe a week from my large collection of cookbooks.

As to site changes, I have to compliment you guys on the site as it is. You are the only home renovation/decoration blog on my reader primarily b/c your colors are soothing and your layout is easy to navigate. I look forword to seeing what’s next.

Happy New Year.