Feeling Resolute

Happeeeeeeee New Year!!!

And now that I’ve gotten that out of my system, on to the topic of the day: New Year’s Resolutions. Do you make them? Do you loathe them? John and I have embraced the tradition for a while now (here’s our New Year’s post from last year, and thankfully we each accomplished our goal in the last 365 days). We’ll spare you all of the new personal “improvements” that we’re planning to tackle in twenty-ten, but we do have a couple of home/blog related resolutions on our list this year.

I, for one, want to simplify day to day life. From replacing three store bought products with one homemade cleaner that does it all to adjusting to life with a little one by streamlining the way our house functions, I’m all about easy upgrades and smart switcheroos for the next twelve months. John on the other hand has resolved to seriously supe up the site. Nothing too techie and weird, just improved function and usability so you guys can find things more easily and click around to your heart’s content. He’s such a guy isn’t he? But I guess in our own way we want to add function and ease.

Anyway, enough about us. We wanna know what you’re setting your mind to this year- especially if it’s home related. And who knows, maybe commenting here for all to see will help you stick to your guns and accomplish your goals in record time. Here’s hoping it works for us…

Psst- Wanna know what we were up to on New Year’s Day two years ago? Spoiler alert: we were on our way to Ikea. Here’s the full scoop.

Comments

1. Laura says

Happy New Year John & Sherry Beth!

One of my main goals is to get my house better organized so we function better as a family – starting with the office. Another is to get my photography business up and running. The other “lesser” goals were started back in October so I’d be in full swing by the New Year and less likely to break them. Here’s to a good 2010!

2. Jen says

First time commenter, long time reader. :) I personally find the site quite easy to navigate already, good job Youngsters! I’m also very interested to see how you streamline the way your house functions. Great resolutions! Well, I’m off to create an Ikea lack table headboard. All the best in the new year!

3. Amanda in Boston says

You two have an exciting year ahead!!!
    We’re not really new years resolution people, but for myself it is to be more optimistic! We’re putting our condo on the market this month and looking for a fabulously old house to renovate! So I am attempting to think more like “the right house is out there for us” this year instead of “wow there is nothing on the market and too over priced!” Once we find the place I am going to to my best to turn old furniture into shiny new pieces via your tips! Happy 20-10!

4. Erin says

Well, thanks for asking. I plan to actually darken the doors of a Container Store and an Ikea Store. It will require an hour and a half drive, but I am determined to actually see those two stores in person, not just online. I am also determined to take more pictures this year, not only home improvement, but in all aspects of life. We are planning a room addition to our home and I plan on doing a better job at documenting it, than I have of other projects we have done.

To work with what I’ve got.

As of today, we are down to one salary so I resolve to stretch my creativity and my pennies as far as they can possibly go to continue working on my home. I like seeing the changes too much to stop completely and I am pretty sure I can put the leftover paint from other projects to good use!

Happy New Year!

This is the year I’m going to buy a house! One offer in and accepted so here’s hoping! (Then I’ll be able to join you in the delights of home improvement instead of just reading and dreaming)

Happy New Year!!

My resolution is to look more closely at mine and my husband’s finances and to be better about budgeting. I was looking at our credit card statement and realized (gulp) that we were eating out too much. So – alas – we are going to have a healthier budget AND lifestyle by resolving to cook more and make sure there are plenty of easy things to grab for lunch.

I tried to kick this off last night by cooking a big batch of cheddar chowder with leftover Christmas ham. The plan was to freeze most is one-portion containers for lunch. I SLICED MY FINGER cubing potatoes. Off to a great start? I guess since it technically was still 2009 that doesn’t count, right?

Bring it on 2010!!

(p.s. I can’t wait to hear about the lil bean’s gender!!)

8. Sandra says

I’ve always been a slob since a child, so I have a very bad habit of letting my house get really messy then doing a marathon hour-long thunderstorm of cleaning when I know I’m going to have a houseguest. This year, I’ve resolved to do 15 minutes of cleaning every single day. It’s probably enough to at least keep the house ‘tidy,’ then the inevitable pre-houseguest thunderstorm will be much less stressful on everyone.

Oh where to begin?!

We’re starting our kitchen remodel, repainting our exterior, tackling the backyard, finishing our garage, and all-around feathering of our beloved nest :)

Happy New Year Sherry, John, Burger, and Baby P! I am looking forward to reading about all your new adventures that the new year brings!

I am guessing a baby girl for Monday’s post! :O)

Happy New Year to you both and the little one!
    First would be to be a better mother and wife! *yeees* Also a million things around the house. Finish board and batten in bathroom, paint it. Redo outside shed into pool house. Repaint kitchen cabinets with the awesome paint from Caromal Colours! Put wood floor in our bedroom and repaint….so many more!
    Thank you guys for an awesome blog. Love reading about local things since I grew up in Richmond and have since moved to Texas. Keep up the great work and enjoy these next few months waiting for your little one!
    Jill @ http://www.virginiahouse.blogspot.com