Our DIY Column Is Here: He Said, She Said

This is old news for any of you who’ve already picked up the latest issue of Do It Yourself magazine, but our inaugural column is out and we couldn’t be more excited (geeked out to be exact).

As you probably know, DIY asked us to pen a column answering decorating questions from both sides of the gender line. So we kicked things off by fielding a question from Nicole who was having trouble convincing her husband that they needed to upgrade their storage situation in their living room. Check out our response below (click to view it larger) and be sure to flip through the issue on newsstands for a bunch of other cool projects (like some festive bird’s nest bowls) and a round-up of great handmade items (gift season is around the corner…). Plus Burger made it onto our page so we can die happy. We think his little mug makes the story.

And if you guys have a he said, she said question for our next issue, just submit it on our Facebook page under our call for entries (and include your email addy so we can contact you). We can’t guarantee an answer to all the queries- our editor actually selects the ones that make the column- but you never know! And next month we’re getting two whole pages so we’ll be adding more graphics (like an illustration of the “after”) and even answering more than one question! We’re nerds, but this stuff just makes our month. Woo to the hoo.

Oh and speaking of decorating disputes, have you and your other half battled over something for what seems like decades only to reach the perfect compromise? We’d love to hear what situation had you heated and what compromise saved the day (from clashing styles to your hubby’s odd obsession with a beat up La-Z-boy).

Images courtesy of Do It Yourself magazine.

Comments

1. tiffany says

I read your blog everyday..and when I saw this about two weeks ago I did a little happy dance for both of you!

2. Brittany says

You really have no idea how excited I am for this!! I just texted my husband ” John and Sherry might be able to help us decide on our bathroom tile debate” and got back “huh, who are they??” lol, I think he might be a little confused with me talking about you two like we are on a first name basis! Super excited to submit our big question though, we have been debating about it for a month…usually our tastes are VERY similiar, but this one we are both dead-set that we are right and the other one is completely crazy wrong!!

OOO… so cool, I know you cant tell but I am totally doing a nerdy “raise the roof” for you guys! When it comes to debates about decorating, we haven’t had the big one yet…becuase little does he know change is coming to the bedroom….BIG CHANGE

I remember picking up the last issue, when you guys did the final tour of your home, and then this issue — it’s so cool to see you guys in paper! Congrats!

Fantastic! And just my advice, too, which always makes everything more agreeable! We (I) built in shelves/cabinets in both our living room and our family room. And we did the paint-the-back-the-same-as-the-wall thing, too (actually just left wall there). The bottom cabinets provide lots of storage space and hide some not-necessary-to-see electronics, and the addition of the built-ins helped to square off the space for a much more visually appealing room.

6. Amelia says

The biggest designing dilemma for my husband and I (well, so far!) has been the wood paneling in our dining room. It was dark, beat-up and, all-in-all, just plain dingy. I would like to say that we came up with the perfect compromise, but thinking of it now, I just waited him out! I wanted to paint it all (except for the trim – keep that a nice dark wood), but he was resisting the idea – for MONTHS. But when we put up a new ceiling (the old 70’s drop-tile was not cutting it), he eventually came around to my idea. WOO HOO! A lighter and more sophisticated space – and one VERY stubborn person and her spouse living in it. ;)

7. Carissa says

Can I just add that “woo to the hoo” made my month? New catch phrase, check!

(Love you guys!!)

8. Christa says

You GUUUYS!!! Awesome!!! Did you get signed on for a certain number of issues?

I also refer to you on first name basis to my boyfriend, usually as a qualifier to have him let me do something (C’mon…John and Sherry painted THEIR wood table and it looks great!). He knows what I’m talking about by now and just laughs/shakes his head.

Hey Christa,

Good question! We actually just got asked to be “regular contributors” so that means we’ll be in every issue for a while. Now do you see why we’re so crazy excited?! We’re already hard to work on the next issue and we can’t wait to see it all come together! And of course we’ll share it right here as soon as it comes out. Stay tuned…