Our Live TV Appearance- We Survived!

This morning we rushed home from our big morning show interview on CBS6 and ran to our DVR to watch our little segment. The good news: we didn’t have any spit bubble incidents or crying and running off stage occurrences. In fact we managed to string together a few coherent sentences. Victory is ours!

We were pretty nervous when we learned that we were the very first interview of the show, but in hindsight it probably helped that we weren’t the last because the suspense would have built for another hour while we sat on our hands. It was nice to drop in, get mic’ed up, do the interview and find ourselves back in the car on the way home within an hour’s time! And the crew and hosts were fantastically nice, which really helped to put us at ease. Actually the entire atmosphere was suuuper laid back. We honestly thought there would be someone screaming “quiet on the set” and all these intense countdowns to taping but it was more like you blink your eyes and you’re on air and then you blink again and it’s all over. Thank goodness for that! Check it out below on Vimeo or see it here on YouTube.

Sure they said our old web address in the interview (although the subtitle got it right!) and added an extra N to our last name (“Petersnik” made us titter for about half an hour when we got home and noticed it) but we’re overjoyed that we lived to tell the tale of our stint on live TV! There’s just something unexpectedly scary about the pressure to get things right in the first take (we’re especially aware of this now that we’re making weekly videos which often require about five takes for us to make any sense at all). But we did it! And Burger even looked sideways at the TV screen when we played it back for him. Is it possible he’ll listen to us more now that we have TV cred?

And as a bonus, it was totally fun to see the weather girl point to a bunch of random spots on a green screen (and then watch it back at home to see that her seemingly random motions made total sense). How does she know where things are when it’s a giant green backdrop? We’re in awe of the magic that is on-air weather.

Anyway, we hope you guys enjoyed our little clip! Questions? Comments? Experiences on TV? Wardrobe critiques? Share and share alike!

1. Jill Stigs says

OH, yeah……..forgot to mention how cute it was how it was mentioned twice about Sherry is so scary with a hammer.

ROTFL on that one!

2. Sarah says

Congrats! You guys did an awesome job. Don’t feel bad about the extra “n” in your name, and the mistake on mention the old site’s name — I work in PR and this happens alllll the time in the industry. Great job!

EXCELLENT! I work in TV news so I really enjoyed watching your interview. You were both relaxed and natural and explained things perfectly. Great job! P.S. – the secret to the green screen are the 2 monitors on either side that show what you actually see on TV. The weather person can look at those to see where they are pointing…plus use broad generic strokes on an area vs. pointing right at a certain city.

I’m sorry…but you guys are COMPLETELY adorable. You will definitely have your own show within a year. Mark my words! I can’t wait to watch you become so famous you can hardly stand it! xoxo

ooo my goodness – did you meet my client Hair Cuttery? I set up their segment this morning – too funny that you were both there! Your segment was really great! Congrats :)

Totally met the Hair Cuttery folks, Kaity! We were actually chatting with Star in the lobby before hand and swapped “so, why are you here?” stories. She did a great job also. Didn’t get to watch her live, but totally let the DVR run long when we got back home.

We were also talking to Zeke’s mom ahead of time about the house she and her husband are building. Small world! And love the Share A Haircut promotion, btw.

Woo Hoo! I am a huge fan of your blog. But I’m so quiet and shy I may not have told you that before. Y’all did a GREAT JOB. You didn’t even look nervous. Yay! Loved it!

7. Diana says

Wow!! That was PERFECT!!! You guys are soooo cute and so natural. ; ) Congrats!!! Can’t wait to see what the future holds for you guys!!!

8. Sarah says

Way to go! HGTV would be lucky to have you. Good work.

I would be so nervous. How did you decide what to wear? I have an interveiw tomorrow and I am worried about my suit choice, but I can’t imagine choosing clothes for TV!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Sarah,

It’s funny because I didn’t really think about what I’d wear until last night at around 11:30 when all the stores were closed and I was like “uh, I have nothing to wear!” They say black and white wash you out on camera and that bright solid colors (pink, blue, etc) look great since they’re more vibrant. But since almost everything in my closet is black I ended up just tossing the pink tank top on under the black jacket for a pop of color near my face. I don’t know if that helped the “washed out” issue but oh well, I tried! I’m sure your suit choice will be perfect, just picture everyone in their underwear and act confident on your interview! That was our plan over at the TV station and it seemed to have worked…