Our Live TV Appearance- We Survived!

This morning we rushed home from our big morning show interview on CBS6 and ran to our DVR to watch our little segment. The good news: we didn’t have any spit bubble incidents or crying and running off stage occurrences. In fact we managed to string together a few coherent sentences. Victory is ours!

We were pretty nervous when we learned that we were the very first interview of the show, but in hindsight it probably helped that we weren’t the last because the suspense would have built for another hour while we sat on our hands. It was nice to drop in, get mic’ed up, do the interview and find ourselves back in the car on the way home within an hour’s time! And the crew and hosts were fantastically nice, which really helped to put us at ease. Actually the entire atmosphere was suuuper laid back. We honestly thought there would be someone screaming “quiet on the set” and all these intense countdowns to taping but it was more like you blink your eyes and you’re on air and then you blink again and it’s all over. Thank goodness for that! Check it out below on Vimeo or see it here on YouTube.

Sure they said our old web address in the interview (although the subtitle got it right!) and added an extra N to our last name (“Petersnik” made us titter for about half an hour when we got home and noticed it) but we’re overjoyed that we lived to tell the tale of our stint on live TV! There’s just something unexpectedly scary about the pressure to get things right in the first take (we’re especially aware of this now that we’re making weekly videos which often require about five takes for us to make any sense at all). But we did it! And Burger even looked sideways at the TV screen when we played it back for him. Is it possible he’ll listen to us more now that we have TV cred?

And as a bonus, it was totally fun to see the weather girl point to a bunch of random spots on a green screen (and then watch it back at home to see that her seemingly random motions made total sense). How does she know where things are when it’s a giant green backdrop? We’re in awe of the magic that is on-air weather.

Anyway, we hope you guys enjoyed our little clip! Questions? Comments? Experiences on TV? Wardrobe critiques? Share and share alike!

1. Christin says

Fantastic TV spot! Thanks for sharing the clip – you guys are really on your way. Congratulations!

You two are so adorable. The interview looks like it went very well. If I didn’t know any better I would swear you two are professional designers! Great job!!

3. Michelle says

Yeay! Love your blog and love that you guys are getting noticed- i tell everyone about your site! Great Job!

4. Christa says

I’m so proud!!! I always feel so uplifted after visiting your blog. In my mind I imagine you both being always super positive 24-7 and never cranky or crabby or unreasonable ;)

You both did great and did not seem nervous

Geeez. I’m sure all morning show people are very nice but seem sooooooo cheesy sometimes.

5. Rebekah says

Great job! Not very good editing on their part, though, getting the name of your blog and your last name wrong — those are pretty important!

6. Rebekah says

And Sherry, weren’t you not suppose to wear something dark? ;)
    You look super cute though. I like how you both are wearing matching pants!

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Rebekah,

It’s true, they say dark colors wash you out on TV so the original plan was to go with something brighter but since 99% of my wardrobe is black I was lucky to find a pink tank top to toss on to get a slice of color near my face. For me that’s super bright and colorful, even though I was wearing dark jeans and a dark jacket on top of it. Eh well, I tried!

7. Jill Stigs says

Fantastic job! You guys are ALREADY pros……………I did not hear one ummmm, or any faltering.

You are both VERY personable and so darn CUTE.

8. Tara says

Super nice interview. It is so weird. I don’t know you but it made me feel proud to see you on TV.

My only experience on TV was when I was four – on the slopes at Mt. Hood (Oregon) in my knit Big Bird hat. My gramps and I were on the end of the evening news where they roll the credits.

You both looked so relaxed and like you’re more than ready to move from bloggers to home improvement show hosts.