Window Shopping: Sweet Savannah

We promised to share our Savannah shopping finds and we’re back to deliver the goods. After dropping in on virtually every decor store in the city (with our camera in hand- we’re such tourists) our favorite shop by far was The Paris Market & Brocante on Broughton Street. Their pieces were more inspiration than reality (we don’t exactly have $1600 for a side table) but the sheer creativity of their displays and the diversity of their offerings kept us swooning (and dreaming up some DIY versions of our own). Here’s what we loved…

This insanely gorgeous oyster shell chandelier had me ready to buy a bunch of oyster shells online to string up with wire and make my own. And the $1,800.00 price tag confirmed that the only way I’d get one of these babies would be to make it myself. But seriously, isn’t it amazing?

oyster-shell-chandelier-amazing-hand-made-creative-diy-project-savannah-vacation-shop-paris-market

We felt another surge of DIY inspiration when we feasted our eyes on this lovely driftwood framed mirror and the amazing basket + casters + glass top = coffee table. I instantly added a humongous order of driftwood to the oyster shells on my mental gotta-find list.

savannah-shopping-decor-the-paris-market-and-brocante-twig-mirror-casters-ottoman

We also really adored this twig pendant drum shade. I don’t even have to order a supply of twigs online- I can grab them from the backyard- and use either wire or Liquid Nails to hold them in place between two metal shade hoops to create a natural and oh so interesting DIY pendant. If only there were more hours in the day to execute all my new decor projects! Oh look, here I am pawing a few of my favorite beachy finds- a gorgeous huge nautilus shell and a giant ostrich egg (yes it’s almost as big as my awkwardly small head). I felt like I was standing inside the coveted coffee table book The Cabinet of Natural Curiosities. Heaven.

savannah-the-paris-market-and-brocante

It was seriously devine intervention that I walked out without bags full of goodies and an empty wallet. But I took lots of photos and now have a ton of projects on my mind, so that must have tided me over for the time being. As we continued down Broughton Street we also ran into the most charming little specialty store: The Savannah Bee Company’s Honey House.

the-bee-company-savannah

Inside we found row after row of gourmet honey in delicious flavors like orange blossom and tupelo. There was even a little honey bar where you could squirt samples into a spoon- and even try some raw honey comb with cheese and crackers. Needless to saw we left with sticky fingers.

honey-specialty-shop-store-savannah-sightseeing-vacation

Probably one of the most intriguing places that we stumbled across was an amazing old shop called V & J Duncan crammed with old maps, botanicals, illustrations, and prints- many of which were guaranteed to be over 100 years old. There were some pretty great fern and orchid drawings and of course some fantastic antique world maps but probably our favorite thing to do was sift through the baskets, drawers, and shelves labeled with locations that meant something to us. It was so interesting to find ancient post cards with illustrations of Times Square and super old prints and photographs of the state capitol here in Richmond – and although we left empty handed we spent about an hour just poking around and meeting the owner’s adorable Cocker Spaniels who stood guard by the door.

map-store-prints-and-old-books-and-botanical

This fabulous souvenir shop discovery just had to be included in our little shopping roundup because it harkens back to this tongue-in-cheek post from April. We especially appreciated that someone took the time to put photos of cats inside the cat-themed frames (except for the dog picture in the frame with the feisty cat with his tongue out). Excellent attention to detail. And yes, we’re kidding about them being some of our favorite finds, but they were certainly entertaining in their own right.

gag-cat-gift-frame

Then we hit up Whitaker Street (which was chock full of more furniture, accessory, lighting and antique shops), where we dropped in on One Fish Two Fish, an adorable boutique with an amazing wall of sunburst mirrors (it’s such a great idea to collect various round mirrors and display them en masse) and gilded and hollowed out tree-trunk planters (which I totally want to make with some spray paint or even some gold leafing supplies and a few backyard stumps). So many projects, so little time.

gold-tree-trunk-planters-sunburst-mirrors-savannah-one-fish-two-fish

And speaking of projects, this oyster shell votive holder carried a hefty $225 price tag, but my immediate goal is to recreate it (I am ordering my weight in oyster shells, right?). I love the ruffled texture that it adds and of course natural objects like shells are some of my favorite accessories- especially when they’re used in unexpcted ways. Here’s hoping I find the time to take it on soon (and you know I’ll take pictures every step of the way).

oyster-candle-holder-votive-amazing-layered

These are the items that almost got me to whip out my wallet. At forty bucks the round white ceramic palm leaf platter (bottom right) was hardly a steal, but even the next morning I woke up with pangs that I left without it. We’ll just have to head back down to Savannah someday…

white-ceramic-leaf-platters-and-plates

So that sums up our Savannah window shopping spree. We’d love to hear your favorite finds of the bunch and of course any and all Savannah shopping info or experiences that you’d like to share with the masses. We thoroughly enjoyed out little vacay and can’t wait for our next big road trip.

Comments

So many lovely ideas. I really like the shell candle holder; seems like it would be gorgeous with plain white shells around a simple votive, too.

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Lindsay,

We like to make little vacation time capsules (they’re free except for the dolllar we spend on a little glass jar to hold all of our collected items). So we grabbed some coral and a few shells that we saw in the sand on Tybee Island as well as some complementary matchbooks from a favorite restaurant in Savannah and we’ll be assembling a little vacation memory jar soon.

xoxo,
      Sherry

Hi Sherry. I’ve been following your blog for a month or so and I have just now figured out how to leave comments. I was looking down at the bottom DUH! Okay. Glad I found it. I love all your Savannah photos. I just blogged about an adorable beach cottage on Tybee island. I’m about 4 hours from Savannah and I’m so ready for the sea and sand! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos.

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Adrienne,

Thanks for the link! I’m loving the fireplace as well as the lamps! Still so sad about Cottage Living. Sniff.

3. Beth says

So much cool stuff! Those white platters are sooo you. I can’t believe you didn’t buy anything! You gotta splurge on vacation right?

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Beth,

Yeah it was kind of uncharacteristic of us not to spring for a little accent or accessory to remember our trip, but as you’ll see from our post tomorrow, we’re working hard to cut our expenses without feeling restricted- and our vacation already felt so fun and decadent without that platter so we were ok with leaving it behind. Maybe when the economy snaps out of this funk we’ll go back for it!

xoxo,
      Sherry

LOL Sherry. Being a lurker on your site for the past month or so, I have come to notice your penchant for anything white ;o) In fact, when I was out shopping at World Market this weekend, I noticed a set of white nesting tables on sale and thought of you!

Go to http://www.worldmarket.com/ and search for “Floral Cutwork Nesting Tables”

Do they have a World Market store near you? Are you a fan? I’ve just recently found their store – ironic because the one near us is closing down (hence the sale prices).

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Amy,

Those tables are lovely! They actually remind me of Brocade Home (which always features an abundance of items with gorgeous cut-out details). I do swing through World Market now and again, and I always find something amazing there- even if it’s just a tin of gingerbread cookies of a fun kitchen accessory. And John loves all the specialty sodas. Thanks for the link!

xoxo,
      Sherry

I’m really enjoying your Savannah posts! I did a double take at the oyster chandelier pictures as I have almost identical pictures from our Savannah trip to attend a wedding in April. It was one of those, “How did they get my pict–oh, wait…I’m an idiot, they took their own…”. And I didn’t find out until I got back how close we had been to the Honey House, so seeing your pictures made me groan one more time at the missed opportunity. I, too, am just going to have to get back to Savannah one of these days. :)

6. Sherry says

Hey You Two,

I’ve been following your blog now for over a year and absolutely love it! I look forward to reading it every single day. Just want to say that I live in the Hilton Head area, which is about 30 minutes from Savannah. I’d be happy to pick up anything you can’t live without from your visit :). Seriously, if you change your mind, let me know and I’ll DRAG myself to Savannah LOL!

Thanks for all your inspiration!

I love The Paris Market & Brocante!!! Did you try any of their citrus water? I mean, so something you can make at home, but nothing like walking around Savannah on a hot day and drinking that!

• YoungHouseLove says

Booooo, Kristin. We missed out on the citrus water. And I always love unique drinks. Next time!

Jenny, sorry to say that you must be dog-dreamin’. Burger’s our one and only (and tiny). But you could be thinking of my sister’s dog Tuck that’s been featured before, or maybe even the neighbor’s dog who escaped into our yard during last spring. He broke free and began swimming in the little pond we had at the time. But if we do ever end up with canine numero dos, you guys will be sure to know!

And Lindsey, thanks for the lovely award! What good company we’re in.

-John