We Nailed It (Our New Nailhead Ottoman)

Oh I am madly in love with the newest addition to our master bedroom. It’s this yummy little linen looking ottoman with nailhead trim:

Sure it looks like a super spendy little pouf, but it’s actually a TJ Maxx steal, snagged for $119. The funny thing is that $119 is actually the most we’ve ever spent on an ottoman (the two leather ottomans in the den were $69 Target steals and the woven ottoman in the third bedroom was under $40). But it was ottoman love at first sight, and although I initially resisted the purchase when I saw it with a friend, I couldn’t get it out of my mind so I brought John back to TJ Maxx that evening to weigh in on my beloved nailheaded pouf.

One of our rules is that we need to have a spot in mind for the item that we’re considering, and I actually had two (slipped under the console table in the living room or next to the armchair in the master bedroom) and I pointed out that we could always return it if neither of my predetermined ottoman places worked. Lo and behold John actually liked it, and before I knew it we were carrying her over the threshold into Casa Petersik.

Here’s what the bedroom used to look like with our DIY pedestal table (we actually popped a tabletop from Lowe’s on a smaller wooden pedestal table from Target and painted the whole thing glossy white). It was definitely an improvement from the old set up, but the exposed fan wire always felt a little messy and the pedestal table always seemed a bit too tall for the low slung leather armchair beside it.

So we moved the pedestal table into the den (stay tuned for those pictures, gotta love two mini makeovers for the price of one ottoman!) and replaced it with our plush new pouf.

The ottoman is the perfect height for the chair (it no longer competes with the height of the arm) and the fan is now aimed directly at us as we sleep instead of 12 inches above our heads. Summer can’t come soon enough! But best of all, that unsightly black fan wire is now nowhere to be seen. And thanks to the ottoman’s lower profile and smaller surface area, the whole room feels a wee bit larger and less crowded. Which is key in our tiny bedroom.

And have I mentioned those nailheads really do it for me? Swoon.

What about you guys? Do you have a major crush on certain decorative details like nailhead trim or curtain grommets? How about x-backed chairs or beveled glass edges? Dish the decorative detail dirt.

1. elizabeth says

Love it! The nail heads are great and it looks wonderful in your room. I’ve been coveting one of those white Moroccan pouf ottomans in leather, but so far no luck finding any on sale (that don’t look really cheap).

2. Lori says

Love the ottoman. I thought maybe you had done the nailhead trim yourself after I saw the article in DYI magazine (the one with your great article too!). Looks great!

• YoungHouseLove says

Funny you should say that Lori! I was actually just looking at our Dolce Lounge Chairs from Target and visualizing them with some handsome nailhead trim. Might just have to hunt some down soon and post a tutorial…

3. heather s. says

Love it as well (and thought the same thing Lori did about you putting on the trim yourself) but it seems a little too cluttered. I’d remove one or two things.

Great purchase! I love! TJMaxx just gives and gives, doesn’t it?

I totally crush TUFTING. I love tufted chairs, ottomans, pillows, etc. Kind of traditional but I love it. I also really dig dentil molding…and nailheads make me swoon too!

5. Mikaela says

Obsessed with stained glass accents…whether it’s windows that have been turned into art or new pieces put in cupboards…love, love love them!

6. Christa says

I love herringbone patterns. I’m still waiting to find just the right piece to add to my home. And for some reason, I’ve ended up with a zebra print pillow in my family room and zebra towels in the guest bath. Not being a huge animal print person, zebra still seems to find its way into my life!

Love it! TJ Maxx is the best!

I have a major crush on curtain grommets. Part of me is trying to resist the trendy look, but the other part of me is too far gone on their clean simplicity.

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Barbara,

Stay tuned for a post all about the white table’s new home in our den. Let’s just say the ottoman purchase was meant to be! Because we got another mini makeover in a totally different room thanks to the pedestal table that was suddenly available.

8. Alyssa says

Super stylish.. as always! I’m slipcovering a chair for our living room in linen-look and now I’m definitely thinking about adding nail head trim.

9. Viv says

I love the shape of your ottoman- substantial but not chunky.

I like leaded glass, whether it is on doors, as a detail on a window, or on cabinets. To the person who likes stained glass, we found a design we liked (very subdued Frank Lloyd Wright style) and had an artist makes us two panels that hung in our master bath. They gave us light, but we still had privacy.

• YoungHouseLove says

What an amazing headboard you made there! Major swoonfest. Thanks so much for sharing the link!

Love the itty bitty ottoman. I wish I could have something in actual fabric to sit on. Alas, I have two crayon/dirt wielding young boys so it’s shades of leather for me!

11. Camille says

Bummer for me though, $119 would be a major expenditure rather than a steal…. = (
    I love the height of it in comparison to the chair, much more balanced out now.
    Great job!