No one’s more surprised than we are that over the course of seven years, our blog grew from a never-thought-we’d-make-a-dime hobby to a full time job that supported our family. Some of the most common questions we got when we told people that we were full time bloggers were:
- How can you make money blogging? It’s just a little bonus cash, right?
- Wait, you really blogged as a full time job and made enough income to support your family?
- How do you grow your blog readership?
- How do you get sponsors or find companies that want to work with you?
- What should I charge for sidebar ads?
- How did you learn how to code your site?
- How much does it cost to run a site that gets so much traffic?
- What blogging expenses are tax write offs?
- How do you get press coverage in national magazines?
- How did you get a book deal? Do they pay a lot?
- How did you end up designing a lighting line and a hardware line?
You know we love sharing our entire journey (the ups and the downs) and all of the behind-the-scenes happenings, so here’s a roundup of posts about: how our blog grew, how it makes money, how we schedule posts, what a typical day in the life of a full time blogger looks like, the top ten things we’ve learned about blogging, how many readers we have, and all that other stuff that seems to come up when we say “go ahead, ask us anything!”
One of the most common questions we get is “what advice would you give someone who is looking to blog for a living?” We always say: “be patient and do it because you love it!” It took us seven years of blogging and over 3,000 posts to experience the readership growth that we did – so it’s definitely not a get-rich-quick method. But if you’re writing about something you’re passionate about, you’re probably happy to do it without making a dime (which we did for a nice long time), and it’s amazing where it could lead if you stick with it! So for more bloggy FAQs, just click the boxes below…