How To Make An Easy Fall Wreath

I don’t know if it’s the crisp autumn breeze or the explosion of all things pumpkin on Pinterest, but a few days ago I woke up jonesing to make a fall wreath. Yes, some people have chocolate cravings, but I have craft cravings. Come to think about it, I also have chocolate cravings. Is there a correlation? Someone needs to study this.

Some of you have even been requesting more small crafty projects (like these) which have always been in the mix, but lately we’ve been so busy painting, stripping wallpaper, & renovating the sunroom that little homemade updates seem to have fallen by the wayside. But not anymore. The truth is we’ve missed them too! So I thought a cheap and easy fall wreath would be a fun place to start. Heck, even if the house behind this door is still half wallpapered, that doesn’t mean the door has to whisper “there are five seashell sinks going on in here.”

This entire thing only took about a half hour to make, and I got all of my supplies to make a nice big 25″ wreath for under 15 bucks (all of which are faux, so I can break this baby out year after year). So let’s call this a naptime project. Or a do-it-at-11pm-while-you-watch-Scandal project.

Here’s what I bought: a 25″ wreath for $6.99, a plastic pot of faux orange flowers for $4.99, and a stem of orange berries for $2.99, all from Garden Ridge (they actually have a pretty exhaustive faux flower section, and the prices seemed lower than some of the stems/plants I’ve seen at Michaels).

My first step was cutting all of the flowers off of the plant and clipping each of the berry branches off of the stem, so everything was freed up to be stuck into the wreath.

I ended up removing the green leaves (just clipping or pulling them off as I went) since it looked a little too jungle-ish (and not very fall-ish) with them on. Then I just stuck the larger flowers around the wreath, using their stems to hold them in place by shoving them into the wreath. You might notice that there are 15 flower-bunches in the wreath on the left of the picture below, but there are only 8 of them above on the table. Well, I realized that each bunch on the table could be further pulled apart, to make smaller bunches that could be somewhat evenly spaced around my wreath. At this point it was looking a little more Hawaiian than I hoped, but I thought the berries might fall things up once I removed their greenery and shoved them around the perimeter.

There’s definitely a little noodling that happens between spacing everything out the first time and calling it done…

… I moved some berries and flowers around for about ten more minutes, just to come up with what I thought looked nicely spaced out. I liked when some of the berries spilled over the outside of the wreath for that whole autumn/abundant/Thanksgiving vibe.

Admittedly with a cheerful blue door, the bright orange wreath feels pretty happy (as in, it probably could work for spring or summer as well) but when you get closer and see those berries there’s definitely a nice fall-ish feeling. And as for how I hung it, I just used one of those 3M wire Command hooks (the ones that stick to the door and can be peeled off later without harming the paint).

Oh yeah, and our little porch annuals bit the big one a few weeks back thanks to some pretty cold nights…

… so two potted mums from Home Depot brightened things up. We’re still hunting for a new light fixture and a wider door mat, but the wreath and those mums definitely add a little more “welcome” to our porch in the meantime.

Just pretend you don’t notice those two foot tall weeds hiding behind the bushes in the background of this picture. They can be our little secret, right?

What little crafty projects are you guys doing these days? Is there any other fall decorating and wreath making going on? It feels so nice to dive back into these quick and smile-inducing projects again. Sometimes hours spent stripping wallpaper or painting trim aren’t nearly as exciting as a thirty minute craft-fest with some fake flowers.

Comments

1. Kyle says

I did the same thing!!!!! I got all of my supplies at the dollar store though. Fall wreath project for $3 and some change? Yes, please!

• Jordan says

I am so, so glad that you mentioned the dollar store! I was getting ready to go bargain hunting at Hobby Lobby and had completely forgotten about the dollar store, as well! I’m a SAHM, so our budget has to be followed pretty rigidly. Thanks for the reminder!

• Bren says

I totally hit the Dollar Store, too. I’ve had a plain old grapevine wreath on my door for like, a year. I added 2 stands of fall leaves and some gold foil wire ribbon to the top. Lookin’ goooooood.

Very pretty. I love wreaths, especially in the fall I love all the warm oranges and reds! Pretty mums. I planted 6 in our garden beds a few weeks ago!

Love it! I was just typing up a wreath tutorial too. I seem to get much more in the crafty mood when fall rolls around. Weird. But I love these small little crafts that you post. Next month I’m conquering the xacto states you have from your book. Here’s to hoping they turn out just as good looking as yours!

4. Allyn says

The wreath looks lovely! Don’t you love Garden Ridge . . . my eyes tend to glaze over when I walk in there as they have SO. MUCH. STUFF!!! But I agree with you that they seem to have the best prices on fake flowers and other accessories.

Yes! That store is completely full of too much stuff for me to focus sometimes, but then my eyes will land somewhere and I’ll be like “hmm, I can work with this!”

xo

5. Sarah says

Funny I did the same thing this weekend. Michaels actually had a lot of the fall decor on sale, so I got a similar wreath and was going to do the flower stems until I saw the faux flower garland on sale. I got 1 strand of yellowish fall leaves and wrapped it around (while watching tv too! haha). I like the berries in your’s and the orange is a nice compliment to the blue door, very pretty!

Hmm, anyone know how to hang a wreath on a stone wall without hurting the stone? Home Depot sells these brick clips that just sort of squeeze into the cracks between bricks and that holds them up, so maybe try those? They don’t make holes or anything but seem to have good leverage!

xo

What about hanging the wreath from the ceiling? If the wreath is light enough, you could use a Command sticky hook like Sherry did. (They make some that a sort of hinged that work well for ceilings – we use them for mobiles in the kids’ room.) Just stick it to the ceiling right up close to the wall and use clear fishing line or similar to hang the wreath.

• Bailey says

I hang my wreaths over the mantle using an s-hook screwed into the ceiling and some fishing wire. The hook is so small no one ever sees it – but you will want to make sure you get one strong enough for your wreath!

• Kassie says

What if you leaned a mirror against your manel and used a suction cup hook to adhear the wreath to the mirror? It would bounce around a bunch of lovely light while letting your wreath be center stage. Just a thought!

I was Pinteresting pumpkin ideas yesterday that are perfect for our toddler, and think I found one that will work just right for a few pennies.

Now we just have to get some pumpkins and make it reality… after a trip to ReStore today!

I’m hoping the pumpkins will add a bit of “oh, how pretty!” to our just-moved-in madness (which was heightened by ripping out built ins before we built furniture). (Priorities…)

7. Beth says

love the orange against the turquoise! i think hanging a mustard yellow “P” in the middle would be the cherry on top!

The wreath is made up of really tightly wound branches, so I just shoved the stems of the berries and flowers into the wreath and that sort of pinched them and held them in place. So far nothing has fallen out, even though we open that door about 10 times a day to let Burger in and out!

xo