A Soft Pink Ceiling

We did it! We can put three big ol’ check marks next to “paint the walls” and “paint the closet” and “paint the ceiling” in Clara’s room. It was definitely a bit of a painting marathon, but how sweet is the soft pink up there on the ceiling? It’s Pink Cadillac by Benjamin Moore in their eggshell finish. In some of these photos it’s pretty subtle, but in person it’s soft-but-noticeable – so while it’s not the entire room’s focal point, it’s a fun layered detail in the room. We thought clean white walls would complement the fun ceiling color without fighting too much with all of the color and pattern in things like the rug/pillows/curtains, so we went with Simply White in eggshell by BM, which is also what we use for trim and doors in a glossier finish.

We also used some leftover ceiling paint in the closet, just to add something in there too. Someday I want to add a built-in bench in there and I even think about doing something interesting to the slanted ceiling (little cedar roofing shakes could bring out that “indoor playhouse” vibe – and maybe even some playful wallpaper on the back wall could be fun).

Oh and you’ll notice that the rug and the curtains from the living room have migrated up here. Clara’s pink rug was shedding like a maniac (the new hardwoods made the giant pink tumbleweeds especially noticeable) and Clara loves playing on this blue rug (she pretends the light blue parts are the ocean for her toys/dolls) so we rolled it out up here to see how we liked it. When we plopped everything down after moving we figured a bunch of things would find their way around the house, so it’s fun to see things making the rounds, and now this woven rug is in the living room – although the jury’s still out on whether we like it there for the long haul.

But let’s rewind to the room all prepped (we moved everything into the center and covered it with a few plastic dropcloths). Remember those old stripey walls from spraying the doors before we installed the hardwood floors? Well, we decided we didn’t want that primer/paint “flashing” (meaning that it could show through the paint if we didn’t prime) so we took a minute to prime just the areas that we worried about that happening.

Here’s that area all primed along with the ceiling painted (we painted the ceiling first, then moved on to priming just select areas of the walls where we worried about bleed or flashing).

Then we broke out the white paint for the walls. I grabbed this shot so you can see the difference between the yellowed old wall paint, the cooler toned primer, and the Simply White wall color.

Of course we’re still missing a bunch of things on the wall, like something I’m halfway through sewing for over Clara’s bed (COUGHcanopyCOUGH) so I can’t wait to get that done and hung – along with some other art and eventually a light fixture that we’d love to add too. But it’s already a huge improvement not to have the old yellowed walls and to finally be rid of those stripes from spraying the doors!

And it’s certainly a far cry from the room full of blue trim that we started with:

We’ve also been trying to work on our photography skillz (picture us both laughing and blushing as we say that since we have such a long way to go) but we shot all of these after photos in manual for the first time! They’re definitely not perfect, but we’re slowly getting the hang of it… I think.

Clara is in love with her pink ceiling. When she came in and saw it she said “now when I’m sleeping I can look at the pink and the pink can look at me.”

I love that it’s a balance of crazy and calm in here, thanks to the fun mix of patterns (in the pillows, curtains, and the rug) combined with the white furniture and the white walls to sort of temper things so the room isn’t too wacky.

Here’s a shot from the closet, looking back at the other side of the room. That wall above the crib definitely needs some art, although Clara seems close to being done with her crib so we might just wait until she’s outta there to move it out of the room and then decide what will live on that wall, which will definitely inform the art above it.

Ooh look, I focused on the book and blurred the alligator. I feel like I should make myself a construction crown that says “Photoshoot Skillz In Da House” … and then promptly crumble it up after checking out my other favorite blogs, which all have infinitely better photos.

This cute kid makes any picture better though, so big ups to my girl for making this shot.

Oh and if you look closely you’ll see that we didn’t quite get into all the cracks where the wall meets the ceiling since we’re planning to add some crown molding – hopefully pretty soon!

What are you guys painting? Any clean walls + playful ceilings going on?

I’m not sure! I was originally thinking of hanging them in the closet but I think they’ll be too bulky in there, so I’d love to find a spot for them in her main room (maybe where the crib is once that moves out and something else – maybe her play kitchen – ends up along that wall?

1. andrea says

I like the softness of it, but I’m kind of surprised at how much white and barely-there colors you seem to be using in this house -I guess I just miss her rooms from the first two houses.

I think it’ll end up being a mix of bold pops of colors in the accessories (like the rug and the curtains and the pillows) in some rooms that have more muted wall colors and other rooms will have deeper or more bold walls (like our bedroom). We’re just getting started, so I think things will get layered in as we go, but it certainly will look more like a blank canvas in these beginning stages :)

2. Lauren (in PA) says

Aww..have to say I’m a smidgen bummed you went with white. But I love the pink ceiling!

It looks great, but I always think of your style as more creative than just white…but that being said, I’m sure when you add your COUGHcanopyCOUGH and more art and decorations it’ll come together for me.

I love she plays ocean with the rug…brings back many a memory! Too bad about that pink rug though…I was kind of in love with that thing! I know there’s a plan cooking!

As I have a 20 year old boy, I have to live girly decorating vicariously through you guys!

3. Kate says

We just bought a new house and are currently looking for good quality rugs like the one you have here… any suggestions on where to look? (Thanks, and I love your blog!)

We found that one at a local decorating outlet here in Richmond (called The Decorating Outlet). I’m a huge fan of getting to touch/feel/walk on rugs when you can, so maybe checking out some local places would help? We have also found deals at PB Outlet or even just in the Pottery Barn store (we scored a yellow moorish rug on a deep clearance a few years back).

4. Kate says

Clara’s room looks perfect! I love the pink ceiling! Also, I’m in the market for curtain rods- what are your recommendations for color? I know you use black a lot and I really love it. I don’t use a lot of black in terms of decor (I always use white frames, brown or white furniture, etc) but can I still do black rods? Our door handles are all silver so I use to think silver but now I think that’s too matchup and bathroom-like. What do you think? And where do you but you’re?! Thanks! I would value your advice so much!

5. Amber says

I think the pink rug she had before in her room would really make the ceiling pop. Looks kind of boring in there now with the white walls. Sorry to be a negative Nancy :(

6. Shellie says

Can you please tell us your sources for pillows, curtains and rug? Love it all!! Thinking of painting my daughter’s ceiling pink and she’s 15! :-)

Thanks Shellie! The curtains are from Ikea a while back (they don’t sell them anymore but maybe try ebay?). The rug is from a local decorating outlet here in Richmond (called The Decorating Outlet) but we have also seen it on Joss & Main. As for the pillows, many of them are from HomeGoods and the pink C one is from Joss & Main and the gradient ones are from West Elm.

7. Jill says

Too cute for starters! Fantastic ceiling idea.
    Second, in one of your video’s I hear you mention a particular thrift store here (Richmond) that you liked for furniture……
    The day bed I can’t remember if you DYI’d that or found at some place like West Elm.

That daybed is from West Elm almost 7 years ago (it was a sweet wedding gift from John’s God Mother). As for the thrift store, is it Love of Jesus? Or Diversity Thrift?

• Jill says

Thanks for the reply! Looking for some loveseats for our new den that we can redo – very odd space. Looking for mid-century loveseats…..Can’t wait to go shopping!